So ive got the BB Tour and want to upgrade to the 5.0.0.230.

I downloaded the OS from the link in the OS SuperPage
    (http://forums.crackberry.com/f151/bl...r-page-274590/)

Then ive been following the instructions on the 101 How to Install or Upgrade BB OS.
    (BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com)

#1) Did that and have the 5.0 OS saved on my desktop
    #2) Downloaded DesktopManager ver 4.5
    #3) Backed up all my info from my phone using DM
    #4) Opened the new 5.0 OS and continued through the install process as guided in the 101 instructions. Then when the part comes to click finish and have the DM open after, a message came up that said the typical "In order for these new settings to take effect please restart your computer" Now it doesnt say this would happen in the 101 so I wasnt sure if I should restart it or now. I did end up restarting my computer.
    Then I opened the DM and plugged in my BB. But the dialogue box that tells you it's searching for device application updates and a few seconds later another box will appear asking if you want to install the available upgrades never popped up.

So where should I go from here??
    Last edited by stupidchicken03; 12-08-09 at 07:15 PM.
    12-08-09 06:55 PM
    any ideas on what to do??
    12-08-09 07:23 PM
    So ive got the BB Tour and want to upgrade to the 5.0.0.230.

I downloaded the OS from the link in the OS SuperPage
    (http://forums.crackberry.com/f151/bl...r-page-274590/)

Then ive been following the instructions on the 101 How to Install or Upgrade BB OS.
    (BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com)

#1) Did that and have the 5.0 OS saved on my desktop
    #2) Downloaded DesktopManager ver 4.5
    #3) Backed up all my info from my phone using DM
    #4) Opened the new 5.0 OS and continued through the install process as guided in the 101 instructions. Then when the part comes to click finish and have the DM open after, a message came up that said the typical "In order for these new settings to take effect please restart your computer" Now it doesnt say this would happen in the 101 so I wasnt sure if I should restart it or now. I did end up restarting my computer.
    Then I opened the DM and plugged in my BB. But the dialogue box that tells you it's searching for device application updates and a few seconds later another box will appear asking if you want to install the available upgrades never popped up.

So where should I go from here??
    I've always ignored the reboot message, but no harm done. Next you need to go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Make sure your BB is connected to your computer and double-click "loader". It will walk you through the install. As a side note, and this is really personal preference, but in the interest of saving a couple of minutes I select "do not" back up application data. Why? Because you already did that in DM After the install's complete and your phone's rebooted open DM, go to Backup/Restore -> Advanced. In the upper left panel hit the drop down and open the backup file you created earlier. I assume you saved it to your desktop. If not, do a search for *.ipd (include hidden files.) Note the location of your recent backup (making sure you're noting the one with the most recent date), and point DM to that file. Your backed up DBs will load in the left panel. In the right panel are your existing DBs in your upgraded phone. I do a selective restore, and only restore: messages, calendar-all, sms messages, bbm group messages, and wlan profiles. If you don't sync to anything you'll want to grab contacts-all as well. To do so highlight each DB you want on the left, hit the arrow in the center, hit yes, and the DB will upload to your phone. Continue until you've restored the DBs you want.

Hope that helps.
    12-08-09 07:23 PM
    I've always ignored the reboot message, but no harm done. Next you need to go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Make sure your BB is connected to your computer and double-click "loader". It will walk you through the install. As a side note, and this is really personal preference, but in the interest of saving a couple of minutes I select "do not" back up application data. Why? Because you already did that in DM After the install's complete and your phone's rebooted open DM, go to Backup/Restore -> Advanced. In the upper left panel hit the drop down and open the backup file you created earlier. I assume you saved it to your desktop. If not, do a search for *.ipd (include hidden files.) Note the location of your recent backup (making sure you're noting the one with the most recent date), and point DM to that file. Your backed up DBs will load in the left panel. In the right panel are your existing DBs in your upgraded phone. I do a selective restore, and only restore: messages, calendar-all, sms messages, bbm group messages, and wlan profiles. If you don't sync to anything you'll want to grab contacts-all as well. To do so highlight each DB you want on the left, hit the arrow in the center, hit yes, and the DB will upload to your phone. Continue until you've restored the DBs you want.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you! Ill be opening the apploader folder and trying it that way!
    12-08-09 07:40 PM
    Well I decided to just have it backup everything again (since my last one was yesterday and a few new messages on my phone)

but im almost there

So this way it will automatically reinstall my apps/contacts/calander ect?
    12-08-09 08:04 PM
    So now this is where im at.. the green bar doesnt seem to have moved for a while now...

My phone is on and asked me to reboot, should I?
    It has all my SMS and emails but there is no signal, next to the signal bar it just says "off"
    12-08-09 08:20 PM
    green bar is still in the same position
    12-08-09 08:28 PM
    Ok so idk if the bar just froze or what... but I did a phone reset (Alt+shift+Del) and went thru the set up instructions. Phone has signal and im getting SMS.

So is everything fine? Should I close the green loading bar?
    12-08-09 08:49 PM
    One thing that ive noticed that is gone is my "multimedia" icon.

on my main screen i usually have these icons:
    SMS, email, web, multimedia, contacts, calander

So the multimedia icon where i can go to my pics, vids, songs, and ringtones is no where to be found?

Still getting SMS, emails, and phone calls tho
    12-08-09 09:06 PM
    Just installed 5.0.0.230 and it's amazing!!! I LOVE the threaded texts!
    12-09-09 12:12 AM
    ^ Ya the threaded SMS is WAY better than what it was.
    One thing that ive noticed that is gone is my "multimedia" icon.

on my main screen i usually have these icons:
    SMS, email, web, multimedia, contacts, calander

So the multimedia icon where i can go to my pics, vids, songs, and ringtones is no where to be found?

Still getting SMS, emails, and phone calls tho
    But can anyone help me with this ^^
    Still no multimedia.

In my Downloads folder there is a Pictures, Ring Tones, Videos, and Voice Notes icons... but they are all seperate and the multimedia was one icon for all those.
    12-09-09 01:22 AM
    ive done a battery pull and still no multimedia icon? Is there a problem with mine or did they not use it for 5.0?
    12-09-09 09:58 AM
    Any help with the media icon?
    12-09-09 02:29 PM
    Ok so found out the media icon was removed for 5.0 (stupid imo)

But Are there noted problems with 5.0 and Pandora Radio? Just tried listening for the first time and it froze the song on the last 25 seconds. At first I thought it was just Pandora so I skipped to the next song and continued to listen. Then again the last 25 seconds and it froze up. Skipped to next song and froze again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 09:51 PM
    That's why its not an "Official" release. Some things will work, some won't. Not to mention when the official version comes out you may have purchased apps that will not be supported in 5.0 and they will want more money for the new 5.0 version. Some will have an upgrade free of charge some will not. In the end the choice to move is up to you with the understanding that not all things are created equal and not everything is perfect. Personally I find the web browser faster, enough so to warrant the upgrade and the SMS messenger with emoticons is just plain cooooooooool And I am not trying to be rude but how hard is it to create a new folder and name it "Media" and move the programs into that folder like I did?
    Last edited by stoneworrior; 12-09-09 at 10:29 PM.
    12-09-09 10:18 PM
    Ya I could just make a folder haha but it would be easier if it just had one already lol.

The biggest thing bugging me now is Pandora not working :/
    12-09-09 11:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD