Considering the other thread is a huge mess and to avoid having to answer questions repeatedly because no one wants to read through the pages of the findings/fixes thread, I'll keep this post updated with tips on upgrading.

Please don't post findings and fixes in this thread unless they relate directly to the tips for users to install. Findings and fixes and comments about the OS etc. belong in the original thread here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...-fixes-545423/

1) There have been many issues created by restoring 3rd party apps and backup files when moving from an older OS to OS 6. You should avoid this. Either do a full wipe or tell apploader NOT to restore your 3rd party apps and backup data.

Do a backup manually beforehand (also make sure your BBM backup settings are enabled - registered email for remote backup and do a local backup too just in case - look in BBM options), then either wipe or run apploader. Don't use DM - I don't think you can tell it not to.

Once you have OS 6 up and running, manually download your apps and use your backup file to selectively restore ONLY data like contacts/calendar/memos/tasks/messages etc.

See the bottom of this post for full instructions if you aren't familiar with them.

2) T-MOBILE USERS: You will have a problem with the T-Mobile theme that is included. You need to delete it. After you have installed the OS to your computer, go here:
    C:\Program Files(86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9700M_v6.0.0.344_P6.6.0.50\Java
    (the 86 in program files is only there if you are on 64 bit windows)

Delete these files:
    net_rim_theme_tmobile_BlackBerry6_480x360_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_tmobileeu_BlackBerry6_480x360_b.cod

You can also delete them after the fact by using BBSAK. You can find a download link for BBSAK in my signature. You plug in your phone, run BBSAK, go to modify .cods, then remove .cods. Remove those either of those two, if present, and reboot your device. Problem should be solved. Again, you only have to do this if you didn't delete the .cods BEFORE installing OS 6 to your phone.

Make sure you do not delete anything but the two T-Mobile themes. If you delete net_rim_theme_BlackBerry6_480x360_b.cod you need to put it back.

3) If you notice you're missing the ringtones that came with your device, you can reinstall them or download them using the guide here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ho...9800-a-512846/

4) If you're using an unlocked device on a network that does not have the 9700, you might need to read here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/upd...-first-530398/

Install procedure:
    This is a "foolproof" method. Some steps may not be necessary for experienced users but if in doubt, just do them to be safe.

Uninstall any OLD BlackBerry OS versions from your computer if you have them. You can find your installed programs in Windows by going to control panel/programs and features. You're looking for "BlackBerry Device Software".

Install 6.0.0.344 to your computer. This means you double click on the OS.exe file that you downloaded and let Windows install it.

Plug in your phone and use Desktop Manager 6.0 (DM) to make a backup of your device.

Close DM and go to:

C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

From there delete vendor.xml, if it's there, then run loader.exe

Follow the instructions - make sure you look closely at the list of items that have or do not have check marks next to them so you install what you want and don't install what you don't want.

When the popup asks if it should make a backup of your device and restore your 3rd party apps, it should be selected to do it. Change it to NO, do not restore.

Wait about 20-30 minutes for the process to complete and your phone to reboot completely before disconnecting.

Wait a few minutes and do a battery pull. Try to do another battery pull in the next hour as well, just for good measure.

You can then open DM and choose to restore from a backup file. Choose the latest file and click the box that lets you select items to restore. Only choose items like contacts/calendar/tasks/memos/messages etc. Nothing else should be restored unless you know it's just user data and not settings.

Manually install the latest version of your apps and make sure they work correctly. Go through OS6 and redo all the settings the way you like them - this will help you learn the new menu layout.

Good luck!
    Last edited by jeffreii; 11-05-10 at 06:30 AM.
    11-02-10 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the tip, Tmo user here. About to upgrade now.
    11-02-10 11:27 AM
    very good post!
    great detail!
    11-02-10 11:29 AM
    Question, what if we already updated our device to 6.0?

What do we do with the theme?

I've already deleted the theme manually through my computer, but my device still has the white screen.
    11-02-10 11:30 AM
    i think this is the right place to post this question since it relates to installing; i usually shrink out everything (except ota upgrade) with shrink-a-os but i know this didn't work well for my torch. is there anything that MUST not be shrunk out when installing this (do i still need to leave ota upgrade)? tia
    11-02-10 11:56 AM
    How about servicebooks?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 12:39 PM
    Curious as to why you do not put a wipe device in your method?
    11-02-10 12:39 PM
    Thx for the advice regarding TMO. Running smooth now!! Beautiful OS!
    11-02-10 12:51 PM
    Question, what if we already updated our device to 6.0?

What do we do with the theme?

I've already deleted the theme manually through my computer, but my device still has the white screen.
    I think if you plug your phone in and run DM it will remove them for you - I have not done this method but another user has suggested it.

What I know you can do is open BBSAK and go to modify .cods/remove .cods and select those two .cods to be removed.

i think this is the right place to post this question since it relates to installing; i usually shrink out everything (except ota upgrade) with shrink-a-os but i know this didn't work well for my torch. is there anything that MUST not be shrunk out when installing this (do i still need to leave ota upgrade)? tia
    Honestly I have used Shrink-A-OS on every Torch OS and not had a problem. Maybe I don't have it delete as many things as others who have had problems but I'd just use caution and common sense. Worst case scenario you just have to wipe and install again - and you learn a thing or two.

How about servicebooks?
    So far it seems as though messing with service books is not necessary unless you are using an unlocked phone on a non 9700 carrying network. If this changes I'll update my first post.

Curious as to why you do not put a wipe device in your method?
    Apploader automatically wipes the device for you during the upgrade process. You can wipe if you want but it's just an extra step for people.
    11-02-10 01:03 PM
    Good reference.
    11-02-10 01:12 PM
    Thanks for the tip, Tmo user here. About to upgrade now.
    Let us know how it goes...
    11-02-10 01:17 PM
    Nice post to effin bad I am stuck at work!!!!
    11-02-10 01:20 PM
    So far it seems as though messing with service books is not necessary unless you are using an unlocked phone on a non 9700 carrying network. If this changes I'll update my first post.
    I've read that it is important to backup the OS5 servicebooks before moving forward. Check out this very good post: forums.crackberry.com/f95/updating-os6-want-everything-work-read-first-530398/
    11-02-10 01:24 PM
    I upgraded and loving the web kit. How can i get telenav put back on my phone?
    11-02-10 01:26 PM
    4) If you're using an unlocked device on a network that does not have the 9700, you might need to read here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/upd...-first-530398/
    I've read that it is important to backup the OS5 servicebooks before moving forward. Check out this very good post: forums.crackberry.com/f95/updating-os6-want-everything-work-read-first-530398/
    Yep, I addressed that!
    11-02-10 01:29 PM
    Loving the new OS! Couple of questions though.

1) I have a contact in the address book and it won't let me select it, delete it or load up the options for it. Anyone know what to do?

2) I've tried using the new webkit browser through WiFi and it says unable to find requested server any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    11-02-10 01:36 PM
    any one having problems with configuring messaging services... I am. It's frustrating me because when i go to the e-mail set up it says i have all my emails set up properly, but still can compose an e-mail message and not send it. Also, can't restore bbm contacts. Help please? I've tried going into the HRT and resending the service books.

EDIT: just noticed something bizzare. I'm able to receive some e-mail messages. They appear to be delayed significantly... I'd say 10 minutes late. Still not able to send e-mails or restore bbm contacts though.
    Last edited by crisrobiou; 11-02-10 at 01:46 PM.
    11-02-10 01:40 PM
    Jeffreii - Thanks for the information. I know it must have been very frustrating for you to have to keep repeating yourself in the "Findings and Fixes" thread. I've installed numerous leaks and official OS, however this is my first time doing this specific type of install. I appreciate you taking the time to put all of this in one place for the rest of us. THANKS!!!!!!
    11-02-10 01:49 PM
    Your A god amongst men!! lol
    11-02-10 02:02 PM
    Just installed on my mom's blackberry.......she's loving it lol. Everything is super smooth. Thanks.

T-Mobile 9700
    11-02-10 03:25 PM
    thanks for this thread helped me big time as a first time upgrader.
    11-02-10 03:28 PM
    Ok, so i got the white screen problem, and i am a tmobile user and familiar with BBSAK. I read the cod files going through them all and only saw one out of the two that needs to be deleted.Could not find the "tmobileeu" one. Is anyone else having problem finding the second file.?
    11-02-10 03:33 PM
    Thanks for the guide. Updated and working well
    11-02-10 03:35 PM
    Ok, so i got the white screen problem, and i am a tmobile user and familiar with BBSAK. I read the cod files going through them all and only saw one out of the two that needs to be deleted.Could not find the "tmobileeu" one. Is anyone else having problem finding the second file.?
    Ok yes, I am having the same problem. I have wiped about 2 times and gome through this process with BBSAK and I get the damn white screen with small icons. What gets me is that when I try to remove the COD files I only find one -- again I am tmobile 9700 and upgrading.

Please help so I can have fun too!
    11-02-10 03:41 PM
    Ok yes, I am having the same problem. I have wiped about 2 times and gome through this process with BBSAK and I get the damn white screen with small icons. What gets me is that when I try to remove the COD files I only find one -- again I am tmobile 9700 and upgrading.

Please help so I can have fun too!
    My plan is delete them manually from the computer itself, wipe the device, and reload the system again. Will let you know how that goes. I already found the two files on the computer and deleted them.
    11-02-10 03:47 PM
336 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD