I've done a bunch of research but haven't found anyone address the problem I'm having. I have a 9630 on Verizon running 5.0.0.484. I'm using BES to connect to my work Exchange and BIS to connect to my Gmail.

My problem is I'd like to get my work contacts via BES and my personal contacts from Gmail without duplicates. I've tried using Google Sync and here's what happens: My google contacts are synced to my blackberry, which are then synced into my work outlook, which are then synced back to my blackberry in duplicate. So in the blackberry address book I see the same entry twice, one saying "Synchronize Using [email protected]" and the other saying "Synchronize Using Desktop".

Does anyone know how to fix this duplication? Let me know if I've left out any important details. Thanks!
    Short version- you can't. BB is not designed to have 2 separate & independent address books. You cannot choose which contacts to sync with what. Unless u want all your google contacts in exchange and work contacts on google, there is no solution. Also, google tries to take priority of the contacts, so BES becomes counterproductive. Your best solution, & it's a doozy, is to setup your own opensource Funambol server. That connects to both exchaange & google & outlook, then bb connects to that. But, it's a lot of work. Could try soocial.com, but I doubt your IT dept would like that. Sorry..

@stayinginsync
    http://stayinginsync.info

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-10 12:24 PM
    Sorry for reviving this thread after a while, but I was just thinking about BIS vs. GSync issues/functions/advantages/disadvantages just this week. I have been using GSync for a while with basically no issues. I don't know if newer versions of BIS have addressed the issues stated in this thread, and if the changes have been for the better.

I only have the Contacts sync option on my 9700 using .938, not the Calendar one. I don't know if this carrier related; I use TMO.

Thanks for such an excellent thread. I hope some further developments get commented here soon!
    10-01-10 10:39 PM
    I thought this might be a good time to revisit this forum posting and offer up some additional information/findings.

It would appears as though RIM has finally documented "some" of the flaws with Google Contact sync in KB article KB22929:

Contact information on the BlackBerry smartphone has additional fields that do not appear in contacts for a Gmail account. When the BlackBerry Internet Service performs a synchronization of contacts, contents of fields that exist on the BlackBerry smartphone but not in Gmail are erased. The following fields do not currently have a mapping from the BlackBerry smartphone to the Gmail account:

• Title
    • PIN
    • Birthday
    • Anniversary
    • Categories (Business, Personal)
    • Web Page
    • User 1
    • User 2
    • User 3
    • User 4

The contact information remains on the BlackBerry smartphone, but is erased after each synchronization.
    The "Workaround" they recommend, and I'm quite disappointed with, is:

To continue with contact synchronization, add the information that is typically included in these fields to the Notes field in the contact information for reference if required.

To disable contact synchronization please see KB19271
    10-16-10 04:29 PM
    I sync my google apps contacts without issue (the only time I had a problem was with FB contact sync enabled, I'd recommend not doing that). An easy way to start fresh is to open Blackberry contacts, got to options and type rset, it'll prompt you to confirm the wipe and that your contacts will be refreshed by the server.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-10 05:18 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD