*Updated 2/17/10*

I love the new 5.0.0.484, but there are some things that could use improvement. The browser is slow compared to .419 hybrids, if you're a Sprint user the registration e-mail upon reboot is annoying, and if you're on VZW the 3G symbol is blatantly missing. Follow the steps below to fix these problems without having to install a full hybrid or reinstall your os.

*Note - I have tested this using 9630 OS 5.0.0.484 only

1) Choose the fixes you want, then follow the links to download

stop getting the "Registration" e-mail on reboot for Sprint users - credit goes to thearchitect (original thread)

reduce browser "Requesting" time/increase speed v1.0 - credit goes to driphter

reduce browser "Requesting" time/increase speed v2.0 - pulled these myself

browser patch v3.0 - newest original patch, but untested for .484

change 1XEV to 3G for Verizon users (mirror link)- credit goes to mrbracht

2) Decompress the .zip or .rar files, and put all files into a single folder in Windows (this is untested for OSX/Linux)

3) Connect your BB via USB to your PC

4) Open BBSAK (if you don't have it download here and install it onto your PC)

5) In BBSAK, go to the "Modify CODs" tab, then hit the "Install COD(s)" button

6a) Navigate to the folder in step 2, then select all files in that folder (to select multiple files in Windows, highlight the first file, hold shift, then click on the last file) and click "Open". If BBSAK successfully installs the patches onto your BB and the handset reboots, go to step 7. If you get an error after clicking "Open" on BBSAK, go to step 6b.

6b) For some users, BBSAK is finicky about installing multiple .cod files at the same time. try installing the patches one at a time. if you still get an error when trying to install the browser patch by itself, split the patch into smaller and smaller portions until you stop getting an error message. you may need to do multiple .cod installs and sit through a few handset reboots.

7) If you installed the browser fix and don't see the browser icon/can't open the browser you may need to resend your service books one time (use this guide).

8) If you installed the browser patch, to maximize its speed go to any web page, hit the bb/menu button, go to set encoding and change it to any ISO-8859- other than ISO-8859-1 (e.g. ISO-8859-2, ISO-8859-3 etc.). Most find ISO-8859-3 to be best. Unchecking the "Auto" box may also increase speed. Play around with the settings to find what works best for you. Credit for this fix goes to 1 2 many.

That's it - enjoy!

*Disclaimer - just like installing any official OS, all data should be backed up before attempting any of these steps.

edit #1: added *Note, expanded last section and split into 7) & 8)
    edit #2: added 6a), minor other edits
    edit #3: added browser patch v2.0
    edit #4: added mirror for 3G patch
    edit #5: added browser patch v3.0
    Last edited by ragnarokx; 05-15-10 at 01:16 PM.
    02-11-10 03:12 PM
    Good stuff, this should help a lot of people!!! thanks rag, and thanks to all others who came up with the fixes
    02-11-10 03:20 PM
    I'm still using BBSAK 1.5 so there wasn't a "Modify CODs" tab, I used the "Install COD" tab instead.
    Browser icon was there and has markedly improved speed, nice!
    Thank you.
    Last edited by catseyenu; 02-11-10 at 04:14 PM. Reason: clarity
    02-11-10 03:43 PM
    I am going to need some serious help here.

OK I am kind of screwed here becuase I have .419 as my OS and this COD file is for .442. I just tried deleting this cod file using bbsak to get my phone back to normal, but I am stuck on a menu that says blackberry platform 4.2.0.179 with all my apps posted.

I can not close out of this, can not shut off my phone and if I pull the battery it goes right to this menu every time.

If I click on some of these apps, I get a net rim bb browser lib not found?

How do I get my phone back to normal now?
    02-11-10 03:48 PM
    I am going to need some serious help here.

OK I am kind of screwed here becuase I have .419 as my OS and this COD file is for .442. I just tried deleting this cod file using bbsak to get my phone back to normal, but I am stuck on a menu that says blackberry platform 4.2.0.179 with all my apps posted.

I can not close out of this, can not shut off my phone and if I pull the battery it goes right to this menu every time.

If I click on some of these apps, I get a net rim bb browser lib not found?

How do I get my phone back to normal now?
    The .cod file you deleted is an important system file - you need to reinstall that cod to get back to normal. You can use a .419 version if you wish.
    02-11-10 04:04 PM
    The .cod file you deleted is an important system file - you need to reinstall that cod to get back to normal. You can use a .419 version if you wish.
    Do you have that handy? Is it as easy as loading this .419 cod file using bbsak?

That was the way I tried with the .442 file which corrupted something on my phone.
    02-11-10 04:05 PM
    If you want the .419 version of the cod, go to this thread and download a .exe for .419, install it on your computer, and pull the cod from the Java folder.

The .442 cod should work though - can you give me a step by step of what you did, start to finish, and any error messages you got?
    I downloaded the .442 cod file to my desktop.

Upgraded bbsak to 1.7 from 1.5 (maybe I should have restarted my computer)

Read system

Install COD

As soon as it was loaded my phone rebooted to a bunch of errors.
    02-11-10 04:18 PM
    I just re-read your first post

OK I am kind of screwed here becuase I have .419 as my OS and this COD file is for .442.
    This procedure is for .484, not .419. I haven't tested it with your os version. I'll try and help as much as I can though. Try this:
    Download .419 .exe and install it on your computer. After it's done installing, go to "c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared". There should be an OS folder in there for .419, go in it and then open the "Java" folder. Find the cod file that matches the name of the one you originally installed using BBSAK. Move the file to an isolated folder somewhere on your computer. Then use BBSAK to install that cod.
    02-11-10 04:26 PM
    Thanks ragnar.
    Now I need to figure out how to remove gmail plugin and Im set
    02-11-10 04:29 PM
    I just re-read your first post

This procedure is for .484, not .419. I haven't tested it with your os version. I'll try and help as much as I can though. Try this:
    Download .419 .exe and install it on your computer. After it's done installing, go to "c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared". There should be an OS folder in there for .419, go in it and then open the "Java" folder. Find the cod file that matches the name of the one you originally installed using BBSAK. Move the file to an isolated folder somewhere on your computer. Then use BBSAK to install that cod.
    This link is for alltell .674, but the platform is .419

Does it matter?
    02-11-10 04:29 PM
    This link is for alltell .674, but the platform is .419

Does it matter?
    That's the correct OS - the platform number is the common name, hence 5.0.0.419
    02-11-10 04:32 PM
    I had to re-do the email registration fix, for some reason it didn't take the 1rst go round. Updated to BBSAK 1.7, followed instructions & now no registration email after boot.

Thanks ragnar.
    Now I need to figure out how to remove gmail plugin and Im set
    What's the story on the gmail plugin, is this new?
    02-11-10 04:56 PM

That did the trick thanks! I never doing another thing to .419!!
    02-11-10 04:56 PM
    How big of a difference does the browser fix make? Thanks
    02-11-10 04:59 PM
    Also, if we update to a newer OS later down the line and if we simply upgrade, do I have to uninstall these .cod's for newer versions'?

I never do a wipe and upgrade...i just let it upgrade by itself via DM...
    02-11-10 05:09 PM
    I do have one problem after loading this file. I can not connect to the internet anymore. I do have the 1xev but it is in lower case now if that matters.

OK I am back up now as I just got the reggy email.
    02-11-10 05:11 PM
    It uses the .421 browser, which has been shown to be one of the fastest in tour hybrids. it cuts down on "Requesting" lag and increases overall speed.

Also, if we update to a newer OS later down the line and if we simply upgrade, do I have to uninstall these .cod's for newer versions'?
    When you install an os it automatically replaces these cods, so no extra steps needed when updating.

I do have one problem after loading this file. I can not connect to the internet anymore. I do have the 1xev but it is in lower case now if that matters.

OK I am back up now as I just got the reggy email.
    Try resending your service books using the link in my first post, then do a battery pull.
    02-11-10 05:23 PM
    I've never timed it before but let's just say instead of having that old familiar "I can't believe they call this pos a browser" feeling I was pleasantly surprised.
    Guessing I'd say maybe cut the load time by 1/3 to 1/2 pulling Google.
    02-11-10 05:27 PM
    It uses the .421 browser, which has been shown to be one of the fastest in tour hybrids. it cuts down on "Requesting" lag and increases overall speed.

When you install an os it automatically replaces these cods, so no extra steps needed when updating.

Try resending your service books using the link in my first post, then do a battery pull.
    When I go to the last step and highlight all the files and click open...i get this error....

what do i do? Thanks
    02-11-10 05:40 PM
    eyecon82, what OS is your computer?
    In Vista & Win. 7 I believe you'll have to run in administrative mode.
    02-11-10 05:47 PM
    eyecon82, what OS is your computer?
    In Vista & Win. 7 I believe you'll have to run in administrative mode.
    im running XP with SP3
    02-11-10 05:51 PM
    When I go to the last step and highlight all the files and click open...i get this error....

what do i do? Thanks
    Try rebooting your computer - usually fixes my BBSAK errors
    02-11-10 06:30 PM
    Try rebooting your computer - usually fixes my BBSAK errors
    unfortunately, that didn't help...same error...

uninstalling and reinstalling BBSAK didn't help either...and I'm running 1.7

On a side note, I was able to back up my programs...
    Last edited by eyecon82; 02-11-10 at 06:51 PM.
    02-11-10 06:49 PM
    did you correctly enter your BB password into BBSAK when it started? are you logged into Windows as an admin/full rights user?
    02-11-10 07:10 PM
    did you correctly enter your BB password into BBSAK when it started? are you logged into Windows as an admin/full rights user?
    my BB doesn't have a password so I leave it blank

My logon has full admin rights...
    02-11-10 07:16 PM
158 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD