Can you use Windows Live Search for the Storm?? On my curve phone I have I used live search all the time, but now on my Storm it downloads it, but doesn't open the app. Is something wrong with my phone? Or does Live Search currently not work with the Storm?? Thanks
    11-28-08 12:54 PM
    what did you use live search for? google maps does everything that live search does and more
    11-28-08 01:07 PM
    I too had the same experience.... downloaded it and couldnt do anything with it once downloaded.

I love this app.... I use it for everything .... one app to check maps, gas prices, movies, 411 search, etc..... definately a have to have app.
    11-28-08 01:13 PM
    I don't think that live search has support for 4.6 or 4.7 so I could work but I'm guessing not since you guys are having these issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 01:22 PM
    what did you use live search for? google maps does everything that live search does and more
    I use it for searching business numbers. It also has a neat feature to see movie theaters and whats playing without using the browser. It just has a nice interface.
    11-28-08 01:45 PM
    Windows Live Search does better turn by turn directions... quicker access to movie times, gas prices, and weather. Overall, its a better app IMO. gmaps is great at what it does... maps... but WLS is better at everything else.
    11-28-08 09:41 PM
    i LOVE WLS. i have been trying to find some sort of MS blog about it but i havent had any luck.
    11-29-08 01:49 AM
    just be patient microsoft loves there live search. There is no way that they wont eventually make it compatible.
    11-29-08 01:59 AM
    agreed. and its a great product; feels alot more polished than google maps.
    11-29-08 02:04 AM
    I miss LiveSearch, I had it on my 8830, and I loved it so much more than Google Maps lol I used Google Maps when I just started on my BB8830. Then I discovered the joys of LiveSearch app....and I never went back lol Even now, I use Blackberry Maps more than Google Maps lol

But, no news yet on when WLS will be released for Storm, but I'm sure, just like noaim said, that Windows will be fast-tracking the application to Storm. Especially since the last update added speech recognition for GPS'ing =P; add in full-phone mapping and improved GPS courtesy of the Storm....mmmmm....it'll be so nice =D!!

I've asked via Feedback on an expected timeframe, but I'm sure about 10,000 other people have done the same thing too lol. Guess all we can do for now is just sit and eagerly wait haha
    11-29-08 04:05 AM
    I am a Live Search ADDICT. I use it every single day to find local starbucks, food places, gas stations, banks, etc. I travel all over northern nj, so i dont know where the closest starbucks to me is, etc. Its so awesome, put in a city, then a business name or type. Then you get what you need. BB Maps is terrible for this purpose i tried it.

Google maps i dont know about, i used it before and WLS was way better last time i tried.

I am praying they get this updated for the storm asap.
    11-29-08 04:09 AM
    WLS also has the ability to save a company address to contacts, which is great for business purposes. Just save the company to Outlook and no need to enter all the information from a business card.
    11-29-08 06:55 AM
    WLS also has the ability to save a company address to contacts, which is great for business purposes. Just save the company to Outlook and no need to enter all the information from a business card.
    AGREED 100%! TYhis is a huge feature for me and I cannot wait until WLS works on the storm!
    11-29-08 10:47 AM
    any news yet? i emailed MS and have yet to hear back
    11-30-08 01:55 AM
    please let us know.

also how do we install google maps in the meantime?
    11-30-08 03:21 AM
    I had asked this question (the day after I got the Storm). Glad I'm not the only one who was digging Windows Live Search. For everything, and I mean everything, from searching for coffee shops, to electronics stores, directions, to the gas prices of stations closest to me to see who's price was the best, nothing beat Windows Live Search for ease and accuracy. It is something Microsoft has actually done very well.
    11-30-08 06:48 AM
    Don't want to get any other WLS fanboys (like me) too excited, but this article seems to indicate WLS will be integrated into a future version of BB Maps. Wahoo! Tighter integration and the search power of WLS !?!? Now, please!

"Windows Live Search has been running their standalone voice-activated search and location app on BlackBerry since mid-July, but it looks like that partnership is going to deepen further, as RIM has announced that Windows Live Search will be powering local search within the BlackBerry Maps application, as well as being built into the Browser (presumably as an option from the home screen�s drop-down menu, right beside Google, Wikipedia, and Dictionary.com). While the Browser integration isn�t that big of a deal, being built into the native GPS app is pretty huge, especially considering the close relationship RIM has had with Google lately. Right now the Yellow Pages handles local search on BlackBerry, which are going to be some pretty big shoes to fill, unless Microsoft can somehow integrate the same search results with their own. A big OS patch is rumored to be coming out this month, which could be when we see the updated software."
    12-02-08 02:35 PM
    Love Live Search here as well. Interface is far superior to the google interface. AND... Live Search has traffic here and Google doesn't. That is the biggie for me!
    12-02-08 02:41 PM
    I'm hearing rumors from the Live team in Redmond that we may see a beta for the Storm during the first half of December! Hope they make it so...
    12-02-08 04:27 PM
    i cannot wait for this app to be available for the storm.
    12-02-08 04:38 PM
    Yeah, I just downloaded google maps too and all it seems to do is give me a map of my location. Seems so inferior to what live search can do. Then again, maybe I'm not utilizing google maps to its fullest for no instructions. I'll have to research it more or if anyone knows how to maximize google maps programs, please list. Thanks.
    12-07-08 12:51 PM
    @nickwang

Thanks for that info! i'm a huge Windows Live Search fan as well! i use it along with VZN. That is great news that it will be integrated with BB Maps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-08 01:05 PM
    Where can I get WLS for the 8830 in the mean time?
    12-07-08 01:40 PM
    Where can I get WLS for the 8830 in the mean time?
    wls.live.com on your phone
    12-07-08 02:04 PM
    any updates yet?
    12-08-08 09:30 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD