After struggleing with the VISTA and Windows 7, not sleeping nights to figure why Vista and 7 were the only ones that were brikcing my phones. finally this battle came to an end. Read below for the FIX!!!! I was bricking every phone that tried to update the OS wiht Windows 7 and Vista. DM now runs way better than ever!!!!!!!

and you are WELCOME.

Method 1

*For Microsoft Windows Vista (and windows 7)
    Click Start, and type device manager in the Start Search box.
    Click Device Manager in the Programs list.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    Right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab.
    Remove the check from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
    Repeat steps 1 through 4 for each USB Root Hub listed in the Device Manager.

Under Power settings, check the 'USB settings' -> 'USB selective suspend settings' and make sure it is disabled.

Check Thumbnail, highlited: Open Deivce manager, Double click on Universal Serial Bus controler at teh bottom, Double Click USB Root Hub, Click Power Management on top right, Uncheck Allow Power...

Method 2

*You can disable the USB Selective Suspend feature as a workaround by editing the registry. The USB device may become unresponsive because of a race condition in the Selective Suspend feature. The Selective Suspend feature suspends the USB device to efficiently maintain battery power by enabling the computer to turn off the USB device. However, sometimes this feature may not correctly wake up the USB device. Therefore, the USB device is unresponsive when you try to use it.
    You might want to disable this feature for server products where power management is not important or required.
    *To disable the Selective Suspend feature, follow these steps:
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
    Type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor opens.
    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\USB
    If the DisableSelectiveSuspend registry entry is present, double-click it. If it is not present, create the entry. To create the entry, follow these steps:
    On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD.
    Type DisableSelectiveSuspend, and then press ENTER.
    On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    In the Value data field, type 1 to disable the Selective Suspend feature, and then click OK.
    Last edited by bmerdinian; 03-29-09 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added Thumbnails
    03-29-09 04:02 AM
    all i use is W7 and i have yet to have any issues with the DM or the phone, i have loaded several os's on W7, no problems yet
    03-29-09 04:32 AM
    And I have had zero problems with Vista 64.
    03-29-09 06:09 AM
    This is great. I've been looking for this since I started using Windows 7 and wasn't too happy about having to dual-boot only for BlackBerry. Will try this tonight.
    03-29-09 06:18 AM
    I have followed the directions for Method 1 and made the changes but I can not find:

Under Power settings, check the 'USB settings' -> 'USB selective suspend settings' and make sure it is disabled.

Can someone explain where this is at to change?
    03-29-09 07:55 AM
    Under Power Management. Should be the last tab to the right. I have 2 powered USB hubs and haven't had any problems. Mine Charge my phone and sync with no problems.
    03-29-09 09:27 AM
    Windows Power Settings (Advanced) in Control Panel- leave Device Manager after you're done with the first bit
    03-29-09 09:52 AM
    And I have had zero problems with Vista 64.
    If you are ok good for you but some people LIKE ME, had to struglle back and forth to an XP PC, thank GOD i have 3 pc's @ home and not going to a Cafe or friends house to do it
    03-29-09 12:49 PM
    please explain were to find usb settings?
    03-29-09 02:55 PM

Check Thumbnail, highlited: Open Deivce manager, Double click on Universal Serial Bus controler at teh bottom, Double Click USB Root Hub, Click Power Management on top right, Uncheck Allow Power...
    03-29-09 04:31 PM
    I've tried both methods, but it's still not working for me. I'm trying to connect my storm so I can use the CrackUtil. It connects to the DM. What else can I try?
    05-14-09 06:24 AM
    I've tried both methods, but it's still not working for me. I'm trying to connect my storm so I can use the CrackUtil. It connects to the DM. What else can I try?
    Same here. I still get "Password incorrect or phone not connected"
    05-16-09 02:20 PM
    Same here. I still get "Password incorrect or phone not connected"
    I'm also getting this error w/ Crackutil...I'm running Vista Home Premium x64...I've made sure i'm running the exe as admin and I've made sure power savings for my USB Root Hubs are disabled...any suggestions anyone?
    05-18-09 05:42 PM
    To bmerdinian, thankyou thankyou thankyou!

Used method 1 ... worked!!

Had installed Win 7 RTM on an ageing Toshiba Tecra A3Notebook and became very frustrated having to reboot each time I disconnected/re-connected USB devices (inc bberry).

Thanks again.
    09-30-09 12:18 AM
    This is old news. There was A sticky about this over 6 months ago. Win 7 user since first day of beta releAse

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 06:36 AM
    maybe is to late to answer you, but its good for someone like me when still looking for the answer.
    i found it here : Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings
    after under advanced setting you will find USB setting.
    11-19-09 01:43 PM
    This is a lie, there is no power management tab in windows 7. Just a power tab.

When you click it there is no checkbox.

I did disable the selective suspend option in the power options for the machine but it made no difference whatsoever even after a reboot.
    11-27-09 10:30 AM
    I think if you turn UAC off and change the PC's "Power Options" to high performance ...
    11-27-09 10:40 AM
    What are you trying to do? If you can connect to DM, but not see your phone as a drive using USB, then you may want to try this.

View Document
    11-27-09 12:21 PM
    i try evrthing was listed in this threat unfortunatly windows 7 on my new laptop ( DM) doesnt recognise my BB 8820.
    i install the programs and used the same usb cable on a machine with XP without any problems.

Anybody has any new ideas.
    i even did all teh updates my machine is a Dell inspiron 15R.
    need help thanks
    Last edited by loizie; 08-03-10 at 11:58 AM.
    08-03-10 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD