View Poll Results: Which is best for you?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • Garmin Mobile

151 65.65%
  • VZ Navigator

64 27.83%
  • Other (Please Specify)

15 6.52%
    what are your thoughts? likes? dislikes? i have VZ nav and am using the trial of Garmin. really like the Garmin. So, lets hear it
    12-12-08 06:21 PM
    First Post!

I've tested the Garmin trial today and I've got to say its much better than VZ Nav. I can actually see the "car" moving and it shows the adjacent or upcoming streets as I pass them.

Now, I'm not sure if all of this is in VZ Navigator but in my few times of using it, I haven't seen it. I would also like to know what it (Garmin or VZ Nav) would do in the case that the phone rings.

Does anyone know?
    Last edited by jcqns; 12-12-08 at 06:49 PM.
    12-12-08 06:46 PM
    anyone care to share why they chose what?
    12-12-08 06:46 PM
    Link to the Garmin for Storm trial?
    12-12-08 06:53 PM
    hxxp://www.handango.com/catalog/ProductDetails.jsp?storeId=2218&deviceId=2074&plat formId=40&productId=242574

Replace hxxp with http (don't have enough posts yet)

The link I provided you with is a $9.99 per month subscription after trial . There is also a separate pricing model for a $99 one-time fee for the lifetime of the phone (weird terminology but seems like a good deal).
    Last edited by jcqns; 12-12-08 at 06:57 PM.
    12-12-08 06:55 PM
    hxxp://www.handango.com/catalog/ProductDetails.jsp?storeId=2218&deviceId=2074&plat formId=40&productId=242574

Replace hxxp with http (don't have enough posts yet)

The link I provided you with is a $9.99 per month subscription after trial . There is also a separate pricing model for a $99 one-time fee for the lifetime of the phone (weird terminology but seems like a good deal).
    Thank you for the link, but for $9.99 I will stick to VZ Navigator.
    12-12-08 07:07 PM
    VZ Navigator and Garmin are the same price unless you have a discount with VZ Navigator.

Right now they are running a promotion where you get the first month for free.
    12-12-08 07:53 PM
    I've been using VZ Nav for a couple years. I tried the Garmin yesterday and was hooked. Went ahead and bought it and canceled the VZ Nav. For me, it's much quicker to navigate through the screens and also quicker when inputting an address because of the way it's set up. I really am happy with it.
    12-12-08 08:03 PM
    Navigating through the contacts was also nice and the interface seems foolproof.

The Google Local Search is also an added benefit (I sound like I'm selling it but I actually like it that much).

It also shows the potential of the storm's speed as far as games and other applications.

The accelerometer changes faster in the Garmin app than anything else I've installed.
    12-12-08 08:18 PM
    There is a link on the other Garmin post to purchase the program for $79, no monthly charge. So if you're going to have to phone for a year or longer it's a better deal than VZN.

I used VZN for the first week i had the phone, i didn't care for it. Not that it was awfull just not great, and i started not wanting to turn it on.

I got Gamin Yesterday and I LOVE it, the UI is really nice. It has some great features like fuel price search, local google, flight status, ext.

Aslo VZ navigator seems to slow the phone down.
    12-12-08 08:22 PM
    I choose Garmin Mobile because I just like it a lot better, but also because I have been using Garmins forever and I am so comfortable and use to there interface. Very familiar with me (kind of like if you used a Canon or Nikon camera you would prefer that over the other because of familiarity more or less).
    Personal preference and I have not had any issues with any of my Garmin GPS units. Main reason why I choose it instead of VZ Nav but figured if I used VZ Nav enough I could get to like it. I went with what was good, worked and I had experience with there other products.
    12-12-08 08:37 PM
    $99 one time, $9.99/mo? Let me think...
    12-12-08 08:39 PM
    Garmin gives you both choices. Its no contest. Garmin wins.
    12-12-08 08:41 PM
    So if you keep your phone for 20 months (NE2 is then) Garmin costs you $4 per month.

I think VZW would be in a better position if they charged $5 per month.

I think they'd get a ton more customers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 08:46 PM
    I can't see how garmin is better without agps which works indoors for me with Vz-Nav.
    12-12-08 09:08 PM
    I can't see how garmin is better without agps which works indoors for me with Vz-Nav.
    I'm not sure if its because I have VZ Nav activated on my account or what but the Garmin actually locks on to my location a lot faster than VZ Nav
    12-12-08 09:27 PM
    12-12-08 09:31 PM
    I'm not sure if its because I have VZ Nav activated on my account or what but the Garmin actually locks on to my location a lot faster than VZ Nav
    Agreed garmin seems to lock on very fast even inside my house

12-12-08 09:38 PM
    Agreed garmin seems to lock on very fast even inside my house

Make a left at the kitchen. LOL
    12-12-08 09:40 PM
    what are your thoughts? likes? dislikes? i have VZ nav and am using the trial of Garmin. really like the Garmin. So, lets hear it
    I prefer the VZ navigator because of the multitude of other features besides navigation it offers.

Need to call a store you are getting ready to navigate to just use the "call" feature after you do a search for the store and bam your talking to the store.

I also like the feature for saving movie theaters. You can just click on the theater and it will show you all the showtimes for your favorite theaters.

There is also a feature that allows you to send directions to another person and etc.

Once you get used to the way the navigator works its really simple to use. I love it!
    12-12-08 09:43 PM
    Make a left at the kitchen. LOL
    Make the next leagel U turn around the sofa.
    12-12-08 10:27 PM
    The Garmin is a lot more accurate than my Navigone.
    12-12-08 10:36 PM
    VZ Navigator and Garmin are the same price unless you have a discount with VZ Navigator.

Right now they are running a promotion where you get the first month for free.
    What are you smoking?

VZN=recurring (look it up)

Garmin=ONE time fee, genius.
    12-12-08 10:53 PM
    Garmin interface is better....program doesnt slow down my phone as much as VZ nav did and the navigation with Garmin is accurate
    12-12-08 10:56 PM
    If garmin or Verizon reads these forums.

A great battery saver would be let the screen turn off, when you just need to stay on the same road, then when a turn is coming up. Turn the screen light back on and give the audio prompt to turn.

at least an option for it.

I'm currently running the trial VZ navigator for another month... after that I will try the one week trial by Garmin, and if by that time Google doesnt get their maps working with the GPS or there is no GOOD running free navi avail I will be making a purchase for one or the other.
    12-12-08 10:56 PM
113 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD