I recently got a storm and assigned certain people in my address book different ringtones. When I have the phone on vibrate or silent anyone who calls me that has a special ring actually rings and does not vibrate and those that do not have a special ring vibrate or make no noise like they are suppose to when they are on these modes. Is there a way to change the options for when the phone is on vibrate or silent to have all calls even ones with special ringtones to not ring and either vibrate or stay silent....
    08-25-09 04:01 PM
    I'm not sure if there is a way to bypass this, but it is a known issue. A work around is to not have the specifically assigned ringtones, but where's the fun in that? Hopefully someone who actually knows of a fix will post
    08-25-09 04:40 PM
    Yes, I need to know the work around also.
    09-05-09 10:21 AM
    Here's what I did:

1. create a custom vibrate profile
    2. set volume, led, and vibrate to "active profile" in the contacts custom ring settings

My guess is that (1) is not necessary, and that only setting volume to "active profile" should be the necessary step.

So the issue is that you can't have a custom ring volume set, if you like to use the vibrate profile setting. But then you just set the volume of the sound file to be what you want... i.e. use a sound editing program to play with the amplitude of your .mp3 ring tones to get varying amounts of volume for different contacts.
    09-05-09 02:06 PM
    I did something similar. I created a custom profile called "True Vibrate" and manually set all sound volume to silent and turned on vibrate for each one. You can repeat this to make a "True Silent" profile where you disable vibrate and turn all volumes to Silent.
    09-05-09 03:58 PM
    yea only way i have seen is to create a true silent mode if u have custom ringtones they will go off even if set to low or silent
    09-05-09 04:38 PM
    Just put the custom ring volume to "active profile" and that takes care of it for silent/vibrate/whatever...

and if your ring is too loud, then record it as an mp3 on your computer(or transfer the file if it already is some wave-type file) and put it in an audio program(audition,sound forge, cool edit, or one of the many many free ones) and edit the amplitude(say to 50%), and then you get a softer custom ring.

cheers.
    09-07-09 02:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD