with all the excitement .....what happens if i cancel my verizon account will the phone still work?
    No because you no longer have no service. If you cancel, what do you have sending and transmitting signal/data? Exactly.
    12-09-08 05:00 PM
    I Would Have My Ty-mobile Card And It Should Work Right?
    12-09-08 05:56 PM
    So as long you have a working and active carrier/service, the phone will work. You just have to swap SIM cards.
    12-09-08 06:27 PM
    I just went through the process of unlocking my SIM card. If I use JL_Cmder to wipe my phone and then reload the operating system, do I need to go through this process again or will my phone stay unlocked?
    No..it should stay unlocked. I totally hosed up my Storm going from Leaked .75 to Bell .76, had to wipe it and re-load .76 and it was still unlocked when I finished.
    12-09-08 07:09 PM
    I was able to unlock my blackberry storm yesterday. my question is if i can use T-Mobile's 3G network on this phone? Because under network connections, there is an option to choose "2G", "3G", OR "2G & 3G". When I chose "3G", i lose all signal and I would have to keep it on "2G&3G" to keep a signal. Just wondering if anyone knows if we can use TMobile's 3G network on my storm??
    It depends if there is 3G service in your area.
    12-09-08 07:12 PM
    No because you no longer have no service. If you cancel, what do you have sending and transmitting signal/data? Exactly.
    The whole point of unlocking is to be able to use another service provider besides Verizon. So...Yes, if you cancel your Verizon service, you can still use your phone as long as you get service from a GSM provider like AT&T or TMobile and use their SIM card in your unlocked Storm.
    12-09-08 07:15 PM
    Just a pondering thought maybe someone could explain to us why or why not this would work.
    I have a Sprint 8830WE that I am locked into a contract, but since I bought it from sprint I did get a sprint sim card for traveling overseas. Now if I buy a Storm without contract, unlocked it, could I use this sim card for my sprint account in it? Would my sprint service account just see that I am roaming all the time while in the US? (which doesn't really matter since I don't get charged extra for roaming in the US.) My sprint sim card is active because I have used it overseas already.
    Please help, would really like to get a Storm!
    12-09-08 09:19 PM
    The whole point of unlocking is to be able to use another service provider besides Verizon. So...Yes, if you cancel your Verizon service, you can still use your phone as long as you get service from a GSM provider like AT&T or TMobile and use their SIM card in your unlocked Storm.
    My reply was because he said that if he canceled his Verizon contract would he still be able to use it. He wasnt specific so I replied that he wont if he's canceling it. He later asked if he put a SIM from a different carrier would it work and I replied yes.
    12-09-08 09:35 PM
    Just unlocked mine. The lady at Global Support was very friendly and helpful. I got a little nervous when she asked me to read the OS version (I have .76). She didn't seem to care or even notice.
    12-09-08 10:06 PM
    Ouch
    that means I can not use this method, since I'm not a US citizen, so I don't have tax id or social number.
    I am still waiting for my order with unlocking-blackberry. Hope they can supply me the unlocking code.
    Or is there anyone out there who know another way to unlocking it??
    12-10-08 09:42 AM
    If you have a Verizon account, you can just give them your account information. The tax id/ss# is just to speed up the process when they look at your account. Just go through the prompts, enter your cell number and when it asks for your tax id/ss#...just press numbers. Eventually, they'll tell you they dont recognize it and will transfer you to a rep.
    12-10-08 09:44 AM
    I will listen, Marcjcd.
    12-10-08 09:48 AM
    My friend just hade a nice talk with verizon and my storm is now unlocked and he doesn't even have any account at verizon.
    He just called in on the number stated earlier in this thread.
    The phone came with a sim even though he bought it without any contract.

I will receive my phone on friday next week when he comes to Sweden I really hope that the phone will work in the Swedish network.
    12-10-08 04:48 PM
    hi iam from mexico and i buy a storm 9530 verizon with out contract in ebay how can i unlock the phone if i am not a verizon client than you
    12-11-08 12:18 PM
    Hello everyone,

I live in Canada and if you are aware that bell has the rights to sell the 9530 storm and i am a rogers customer can i buy it from bell and unlock it to use the rogers sim card with the above steps ? can i call verizon for the code ? the folks from bell told me i can use it outside canada...!
    12-11-08 04:46 PM
    i bought my storm today and got the unlock code (and im not a customer) but how do you get it to work on the network. i followed the directions but it still not working
    How did you get that to work? Did you call VZW despite no being their customer?
    12-11-08 06:55 PM
    ok, so i did everything you said and it works perfectly on the gsm network. only thing, i cant use data services on gsm, such as email and web services. is there anyway possible to unlock the storm to use the edge network whick the blackberry curve uses ?
    12-11-08 11:08 PM
    FYI...
    I just called global support at VZW. Nice gentleman said that VZW just received a memo that no unlock codes are to be released before 60 days of storm activation (apparently too many people were unlocking and switching). Prior to this they were giving out the codes to anyone who had a storm and a VZW account. Oh well.....

P.S. This may fall under the "had to try 3 different times on 3 different days before I found someone who would do this".
    12-12-08 06:43 PM
    So...after I get VZ to unlock my Storm...

I travel to Asia often and use pre-paid SIMs, India - Airtel and Thailand - 12-Call.

Obviously voice and SMS will work, but will Email, Web Browsing, BB services, etc... work?

I understand that I'll have to pay whatever data rates the pre-paid SIMs are setup for. I also understand my data speeds my vary depending on 3G/2G signal.

Anyone with hands-on experience with this situation?
    12-13-08 06:11 PM
    Will this let google maps use gps?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-08 06:30 PM
    I just called Telus.. he gave me a 4 digit number... not a 16 ?!?!
    12-13-08 06:58 PM
    and it didnt work... time to call back!
    12-13-08 07:02 PM
    hey i have a question. i got this blackberry storm from verison. but i don't deal with them anymore. and my phone does not show me the imei number when i dial *#06#. any idea how i can unlock it. or how i could find my imei number?
    12-13-08 08:21 PM
    Just an addendum to my post above...
    I called back to VRZ Global support and talked to another rep. I explained my conversation with the prior rep and the "must wait 60 day" rule. I also explained that I am/have been a VRZ customer for years, this phone was part of my corporation's plan and that I obviously was not doing this to switch to another network but only to travel. She looked up the account and walked me through the unlock. She was very helpful.... and was sorry for the misunderstanding. I actually am going to use this for travel and will not switch to another network as we are all very happy with VRZ in this area. She is emailing me a disclaimer basically stating that if a 3rd party sim damages the phone VRZ warrentee will not cover it and that I am responsible for any charges from using another sim car. Again very helpful - good customer support.
    12-13-08 10:21 PM
    So...after I get VZ to unlock my Storm...

I travel to Asia often and use pre-paid SIMs, India - Airtel and Thailand - 12-Call.

Obviously voice and SMS will work, but will Email, Web Browsing, BB services, etc... work?

I understand that I'll have to pay whatever data rates the pre-paid SIMs are setup for. I also understand my data speeds my vary depending on 3G/2G signal.

Anyone with hands-on experience with this situation?
    Not hands-on, since we just use a TMobile SIM card with global roaming and global BlackBerry enabled. As long as you get the service books you need before you travel installed on the BlackBerry and the pre-paid service supports data, you should be all set.
    12-14-08 04:26 AM
303 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD