please help... i have a storm 9530 and i have been getting this error that says uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointer exception... does anyone know what that means and how i can fix it.. since ive been getting it my call log will not save and i cannot back up my phone on dm... i have know idea what to do to get rid off it.. i have already done battery pulls and that does nothing..
    02-09-09 10:51 AM
    what apps do you have installed?
    02-09-09 11:12 AM
    A pointer is a software element that tells a program where to look for some piece of data. An exception is a software error. So, a NULL pointer exception is an error where a pointer has been set to something INVALID. So a program said, "Go look here..." and the OS replied, "I can't!"

Whose doing it? Unlikely (but not impossible) that it is the OS. Most likely that it is one of your applications that you have loaded. You are going to have to "search and destroy", meaning find the offending program and remove or re-install. How to find? Remove them one at a time, or remove all and re-install one at a time.

That is why hudss is asking what apps you have installed. He may have a better idea about which one is causing it.
    02-09-09 12:34 PM
    i have a number of apps on my phone... viigo, vlingo, logmaid, vib n ring, talk lock, slacker, light saber,aim, yahoo messenger, facebook, file manager, bolt,bilbylight, trapster, beyond411,bbnotepad, visual voicemail,solitaire buddy gold trial, tiltris,beiks dictionary,handango inhand,rdm+,and quick pull..
    02-09-09 03:11 PM
    i am running .99 os but that has been running great since i installed it..
    02-09-09 03:13 PM
    With so many apps and an UNPROVEN operating system, could be anything causing the problem. The reason that .99 is a beta is that they know there are bugs in it, otherwise, it would be a release.
    02-09-09 09:16 PM
    it might be the logmaid. i had the same type of error and i deleted logmaid and it fixed the problem
    02-14-09 03:43 PM
    ditto on logmaid being the issue. The culprit would be an app running in the background at startup.
    02-14-09 03:49 PM
    I've got the same "Uncaught Exception message popping up.... it just started a few days ago and I've deleted every app I've loaded in the last month. Any chance it could be from an app I loaded awhile back and it's just started?? I hate to delete all my apps... lol

I guess if I have to, but darn... some of them I use almost daily
    02-15-09 08:52 PM
    Ok.... EVERY APP I've ever downloaded to the storm is gone, 3+ and counting battery pulls and still have the Uncaught Exception problem... and it still affects ONLY the call log.

I don't get it. Do I need to wipe the phone and start over?
    02-15-09 10:03 PM
    I can go to the message folder and enter of the folders under the "view folders" except for the call log. When I press the send button and try to view my call log it only displays missed calls. I will let you know if I find the solution. I don't have any third party apps installed and everytime I reboot my phone I also receive the error msg.
    02-16-09 09:18 PM
    I am running .75 and I have get the uncaught exception message every time I do a battery pull. It just randomly started happening, I hadn't installed any new apps either.
    02-16-09 09:23 PM
    Running .75 also
    02-16-09 10:12 PM
    Sucks!! Wouldn't be such a big deal really, but it affects the call log..... I answered a guys ad on craigslist that has an old truck I'd lilke to check out. Dude calls, but was busy and told him I'd call him right back..... OOPS!.... His number just isn't there, nor any other new calls.

buggin' me. big time.

Would a wipe and reload of the OS do ther trick? I know that's probably really a last resort.... seems everyone is starting to have this problem about the same time. RIM flaw, possibly?
    02-16-09 10:22 PM
    Sucks!! Wouldn't be such a big deal really, but it affects the call log..... I answered a guys ad on craigslist that has an old truck I'd lilke to check out. Dude calls, but was busy and told him I'd call him right back..... OOPS!.... His number just isn't there, nor any other new calls.

buggin' me. big time.

Would a wipe and reload of the OS do ther trick? I know that's probably really a last resort.... seems everyone is starting to have this problem about the same time. RIM flaw, possibly?

I am having this issue also, effects the call log. Also after i cleared my txts, i couldn't see my texts when i got one also till i done a batt pull. I am running .75 and have no 3rd party apps now. Still got this problem. Going to do a wipe and go from there. Also trying to search sender on uor phone and you will get this null.pointer error too.
    02-18-09 11:28 AM
    Same issue, can't get into my Messages folder. I can read my emails by going directly to them, but can't see SMS messages because they are only in the Messages folder.
    I am running .99. Have been running it for over a week with no issues, and everything was fine earlier today. I've pulled the battery several times also...
    02-18-09 01:59 PM
    Ok i might have found a fix for me at least. I noticed that the call log stopped working on a call on the 14th. So i tried opening the individual logs from there on. One number wouldn't let me open it. I couldn't delete the entry or nothing. I would get a error when doing so.
    So i loaded DM, found the calling logging in advance options. Deleted the call log and the error went away for now. Now i can access the call log, search for sender, etc. Also the null.pointer exception is gone
    02-18-09 02:09 PM
    Ok i might have found a fix for me at least. I noticed that the call log stopped working on a call on the 14th. So i tried opening the individual logs from there on. One number wouldn't let me open it. I couldn't delete the entry or nothing. I would get a error when doing so.
    So i loaded DM, found the calling logging in advance options. Deleted the call log and the error went away for now. Now i can access the call log, search for sender, etc. Also the null.pointer exception is gone
    are you telling me that these 2 experts were incorrect?!

it might be the logmaid. i had the same type of error and i deleted logmaid and it fixed the problem
    ditto on logmaid being the issue. The culprit would be an app running in the background at startup.
    02-18-09 02:20 PM
    I used to have that happen all the time on my 8830, the best solution I found was to clear my error logs or pull my battery.
    02-18-09 02:46 PM
    are you telling me that these 2 experts were incorrect?!
    Well i had logmaid. I removed the app. Didnt do the trick for me. I still got the error and the call log still didnt work. I narrowed it down to one phone number i called.
    I dont know why, but last sat i entered it as xxx-xxxx and then later that day i saved it as a contact and added the area code. I noticed in the call log that it had the contact name but not the area code. So i tried deleteing that one call log from that person and got a error and it could let me delete it. So i tried deleteing the contact. So i went back to the call log and tried to delete the log,still a error. So i used DM to wipe all call log info. That done it for me. I still have logmaid running with no null.pointer exception error for now.
    02-18-09 08:55 PM
    Well i had logmaid. I removed the app. Didnt do the trick for me. I still got the error and the call log still didnt work. I narrowed it down to one phone number i called.
    I dont know why, but last sat i entered it as xxx-xxxx and then later that day i saved it as a contact and added the area code. I noticed in the call log that it had the contact name but not the area code. So i tried deleteing that one call log from that person and got a error and it could let me delete it. So i tried deleteing the contact. So i went back to the call log and tried to delete the log,still a error. So i used DM to wipe all call log info. That done it for me. I still have logmaid running with no null.pointer exception error for now.
    i was being sarcastic =) just felt like sayin it cus ive been seeing logmaid being a victim of a couple "witchhunts"
    02-18-09 11:09 PM
    I was having the same problem with the first Storm I had (running .75), also it began affecting calls (ie. once I recieved the error, the phone would not receive calls until I did a battery pull or quickpull reset. the caller would get the typical 4 rings then voicemail, but I wouldn't receive the voicemail for about 3-5 hours). I took the phone into Verizon and they told me it was not necessarily a common error but that they had a few cases of it (in fact there was another Storm user next to me experiencing the exact same issue). They replaced the phone and i haven't had the error since, and all my calls come in fine. They didn't tell me what was causing the issue but they did ask what 3PAs I had installed as they were trying to narrow down the cause.

So my best advice would be to go talk to you carrier and see what they know or what they can do for you.

Hope this helps
    02-19-09 01:45 AM
    I am having the same problem....and it just started tonight when I loaded Viigo onto my Curve. It keeps multiplying the same channel in my news feeds and then pops up the error! Very frustrating
    02-19-09 10:57 PM
    please help... i have a storm 9530 and i have been getting this error that says uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointer exception... does anyone know what that means and how i can fix it.. since ive been getting it my call log will not save and i cannot back up my phone on dm... i have know idea what to do to get rid off it.. i have already done battery pulls and that does nothing..
    Got this shortly after installing Quick Launcher several days ago. Decided that I didn't want to blame that excellent little app, so I spent the afternoon reinstalling the operating system and then reinstalling all my programs. So far, so good.
    02-20-09 01:57 AM
    I had this issue for a few weeks, backed up w/DM, did a hard reset, reloaded from back up, no problems since.

Did this about two weeks ago.
    02-20-09 05:27 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD