Do I have to buy an extra plan to get the 3G or what's the deal? In the book it says that when you are 3G it will say "3G" right next to the 1XEV status...but I've never seen it, and I live in a full 5 bar area, so that doesn't explain it...so what's up?
    12-28-08 05:29 PM
    1XEV is 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-08 05:30 PM
    GSM's 3g is 3g.
    CDMA's 3g is EV-DO Rev.A
    12-28-08 05:32 PM
    It sure doesn't act like it. Why does the book say it will say 3G?
    12-28-08 05:32 PM
    Not sure. But it is for sure 3G. The Storm doenst have to be like Apple and name there phone 3G to let people know lol
    12-28-08 05:34 PM
    The 3G will show when you are connected on a HSDPA network with voice and data simultaneously. It should mention something to that effect in the book, next to the icon

The Storm doenst have to be like Apple and name there phone 3G to let people know lol
    I LOL'd at that^^

OP, 3G just stands for 3rd Generation. ATT just marketed it better than the others to appear to set the "standard" for cell networks. From what others have said on this forum somewhere or another. the EVDO Rev. A (which the the Storm is using on VZW) should be equal to about 3.5G
    Last edited by alan8385; 12-28-08 at 05:40 PM.
    12-28-08 05:36 PM
    The 3G will show when you are connected on a HSDPA network with voice and data simultaneously. It should mention something to that effect in the book, next to the icon
    OK, that makes sense. I don't have the book in front of me...where would someone be on a HSDPA network?
    12-28-08 05:40 PM
    Yup, it is senor...3G all the way
    12-28-08 05:41 PM
    OK, that makes sense. I don't have the book in front of me...where would someone be on a HSDPA network?
    Only in Europe I believe..

CX,Civic,Don,(anyone else) do you know?
    12-28-08 05:42 PM
    Only in Europe I believe..

CX,Civic,Don,(anyone else) do you know?
    yep yep, Vodafone uses it... I don't know about the rest of you but I can't wait for LTE. Woot!
    12-28-08 05:47 PM
    What Alan said the storm is running on EVDO rev.A which would be more equivalent to 3.5G and it will only show 3G when on you are using an HSDPA network which in this case would be when you are using the "global" network an example would be if you traveled to the UK or some parts of Asia.
    12-28-08 05:48 PM
    yep yep, Vodafone uses it... I don't know about the rest of you but I can't wait for LTE. Woot!
    Is that still somewhere around 4Q 2009? I can't wait either!!!
    12-28-08 05:48 PM
    Is that still somewhere around 4Q 2009? I can't wait either!!!
    Verizon was doing a trial in some small areas durring the 4Q of this year, and it is supposed to go live sometime in 09, but yeah probably in the 4Q lol. I wonder how they are going to make the transistion? hopefully it goes smooth.
    12-28-08 05:53 PM
    Verizon was doing a trial in some small areas durring the 4Q of this year, and it is supposed to go live sometime in 09, but yeah probably in the 4Q lol. I wonder how they are going to make the transistion? hopefully it goes smooth.
    I just hate that I'll most likely have to get a new Storm to be able to run on it?!
    12-28-08 05:55 PM
    They'll keep the existing network up for a few years after it launches so that it doesn't inconvenience those that don't upgrade their phones (I call them the lazy ones). But yeah, it will suck to be on an outdated system... oh well, I'm sure they will have crap loads of deals.
    12-28-08 05:58 PM
    LTE will not be widely available for a few years from now. As they are still writing standards for the technology.
    12-28-08 06:01 PM
    LTE will not be widely available for a few years from now.
    But it is true that they are testing it now. correct?
    12-28-08 06:02 PM
    12-28-08 06:08 PM
    This is the last thing I saw on it over a BGR

Verizon Wireless to begin LTE rollout in Q4 2009? : Boy Genius Report
    I saw that too, which is why I said 4Q 09. but CX says different...
    12-28-08 06:12 PM
    But it is true that they are testing it now. correct?
    Yes, Verizon, AT&T, Ericsson, and a couple others are testing in Europe. I believe Verizon might roll out LTE before AT&T. As AT&T still has room for upgrading their current HSPA network to 7.2Mbps and have the option to go to 14.4Mbps. I believe they will get the most out of it they can(cheap-skates)

But yes VZW is testing it, and we may see limited deployment(very linited) in 2009. But just hope and pray as LTE is every CrackBerry addicts DREAM!! Not just about speed, but the abilities of the technology itself, and the fact there will be no more carrier wars or you have to be on a certain network to use a certain device. It will be great.
    12-28-08 06:13 PM
    But yes VZW is testing it, and we may see limited deployment(very linited) in 2009. But just hope and pray as LTE is every CrackBerry addicts DREAM!! Not just about speed, but the abilities of the technology itself, and the fact there will be no more carrier wars or you have to be on a certain network to use a certain device. It will be great.
    HALLELUJAH to that! I just added a line on ATT today so I could get a Bold (will NEVER Give up VZW though) and MAN is is SLOW in compared to VZW. True we are in an EDGE area like most of their network, but I never really realized how much slower it is. No wonder they are so adamant about WiFi!
    12-28-08 06:27 PM
    HALLELUJAH to that! I just added a line on ATT today so I could get a Bold (will NEVER Give up VZW though) and MAN is is SLOW in compared to VZW. True we are in an EDGE area like most of their network, but I never really realized how much slower it is. No wonder they are so adamant about WiFi!
    It just depends on what part of the country you're in. Technically, AT&T's 3G network is faster than Verizon's EVDO Rev A. But it's all about coverage in your area. That said, when LTE gets here we won't be having this discussion.
    12-28-08 06:41 PM
    1XEV means you have full EVDO speeds and Blackberry data service

1xev means you have full EVDO speeds, but don't have Blackberry data service

1X means you don't have EVDO speeds and you have Blackberry data service.

1x means you don't have EVDO speeds and don't have Blackberry data service either.
    12-28-08 11:14 PM
    The 9500 is. See my avatar, 5 bars of pure 3G sweetness (200 meters Away from Alcatel Lucent's testing grounds here in Nuremberg, germany)

I somewhere also posted the German/European display (network-)symbols for you to compare with the US ones.
    12-29-08 02:42 AM
    Yes, Verizon, AT&T, Ericsson, and a couple others are testing in Europe. I believe Verizon might roll out LTE before AT&T. As AT&T still has room for upgrading their current HSPA network to 7.2Mbps and have the option to go to 14.4Mbps. I believe they will get the most out of it they can(cheap-skates)

LOL it wont be every crackberry's dream if you still cant download files larger than 5mb! Whats the point of having that speed with that restriction?
    12-29-08 03:00 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD