Okay, when setting up email, instead of putting in the incorrect password, set your username to [email protected]. It will then let you configure your settings, including IMAP, manually!

This is not my original solution. Someone else came up with it in this forum. I cannot seem to find the post so if that person reads this thread let me know and I will give credit. I was just trying to get the solution out in the open so all could see.
    11-24-08 11:36 AM
    I have imap, I just type my email and password and the email setup will do everything else automatically. Doesnt matter if it is imap or pop3, it will be pushed.
    11-24-08 11:38 AM
    Yeah it may be pushed but your email won't sync between Gmail.com and your Blackberry!
    11-24-08 11:40 AM
    Here you go...as I said earlier...

First of all the @fail.com works because you want it to have an account that can't be auto configured... The rest should be self explanatory....

The account settings are on the gmail BB Imap setup instructions...

11-24-08 11:44 AM
    Okay, when setting up email, instead of putting in the incorrect password, set your username to [email protected]. It will then let you configure your settings, including IMAP, manually!

This is not my original solution. Someone else came up with it in this forum. I cannot seem to find the post so if that person reads this thread let me know and I will give credit. I was just trying to get the solution out in the open so all could see.
    Wouldn't putting in the incorrect password accomplish the same thing? It did for me.
    11-24-08 11:47 AM
    Wouldn't putting in the incorrect password accomplish the same thing? It did for me.
    you can also just leave it blank...
    11-24-08 11:49 AM
    Now that I have IMAP working, I have another question!

How do I sent something to my "Archive" (on Gmail) from my Blackberry?
    11-24-08 11:52 AM
    Now that I have IMAP working, I have another question!

How do I sent something to my "Archive" (on Gmail) from my Blackberry?
    Setting up the IMAP Gmail account on your BB is good for sending/receiving messages, but if you want to do anything more complicated than that (such as restore delete e-mails in your Gmail account, archive items or search for stuff) you're going to want to install Gmail Mobile. I was thinking that it came preinstalled on the Storm, but maybe not. Even so, you can get it through Blackberry's website. I think, these days, if you go to Google's mobile Gmail site, they don't have an OTA download for Blackberries there, but they do have a link that points to an OTA download under the Blackberry website.

Good luck!

-SR-
    11-24-08 01:43 PM
    Yeah I would be fine using google's gmail app but unfortunately it does not allow me to download attachments.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 01:47 PM
    i can't get that to work for me. it still has it as a pop account. and i've got my old service book next to the new "imap" one and its not working. checked all the settings.

my way of getting "push" is to have all my emails forwarded to the blackberry device email with its reply-to set as my original email address....

and that method gets emails much faster than the 'imap' method stated above.

i wish it did work though so i could delete on device and have it appear in my email client like that.
    11-24-08 05:03 PM
    Question....did the imap setup but the directions on Gmail have a last entry to change the SSL port. I can't find this on the storm. Is it necessary? If so where is it?
    11-24-08 05:17 PM
    Question....did the imap setup but the directions on Gmail have a last entry to change the SSL port. I can't find this on the storm. Is it necessary? If so where is it?
    I think you have to login to the Verizon BIS Site and do it there (create a username and password from the Storm first if you haven't already done so).
    11-24-08 05:59 PM
    These steps definitely are not working for me at all...I have done everything as suggested and keep getting an error at account validation...........
    11-26-08 06:43 PM
    These steps definitely are not working for me at all...I have done everything as suggested and keep getting an error at account validation...........
    When you are initially typing your e-mail address in, you're leaving your password blank right?
    11-26-08 06:49 PM
    I have the same problem. However I called Verizon and had them set it up for me.

11-26-08 07:07 PM
    I have the same problem. However I called Verizon and had them set it up for me.

I agree if anyone is experiencing problems, that is the best way to go. The rep can set up everything for you and walk you through it as well.
    11-26-08 07:09 PM
    Yeah I did it all as they said....I finally got it to go through, but guess what...nothing has changed. It still acts like POP. I realized that my problem is probably that I am not "just" gmail...its my domain with google apps. And that seems to be giving everyone a total fit.

I cannot get my folders, I cannot get anything. The one way sync is driving me batty too. My bf just showed me his wondows phone all decked out with his IMAP settings (same thing - his own domain on google apps) and it has all his folders and everything...made me want to beat him - but I didn't say that out loud!!! LOL

SO what can we do? I read BB site - doesn't seem to be anything they suggest...I can't find anything on ANY boards that shows a solution...and I am getting cranky!
    11-26-08 10:11 PM
    I don't have a BB yet so can't check this for myself, but when you've set up a gmail account and then delete a message from within the blackberry does it not archive it on gmail? I'm sure this is how it worked on my old Nokia E65.
    12-02-08 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD