10-13-08 09:31 PM
    From the article: "The cost of the actuators — or more likely the space needed to fit them in — may have been an issue; the Storm doesn’t have Wi-Fi and RIM says there simply wasn’t room on the motherboard for it. "

There it is...
    10-13-08 09:49 PM
    that blows, i wouldn't mind them adding additional size to the phone for wifi stupid thing to do on there part.
    10-13-08 09:57 PM
    Yup. And the HellGate has opened...
    10-13-08 09:59 PM
    The Storm doesn't have WiFi???????????????

jay-kay
    10-13-08 10:02 PM
    Wow. What an insanely good, detailed article. I love how they even work in all the blogosphere mistakes made on the way up to the release of the Storm.

Ahh well.. that's what tech blog rumors are about. Working with the best info at the time. I'd argue things were more right than wrong on the way getting there.

I just want to try this thing out now!
    10-13-08 10:04 PM
    Here is a better explanation of the touch IMO...

BlackBerry Storm: ClickThrough based on Synaptics technology - infoSync World
    10-13-08 10:10 PM
    Hmm im not going to argue that Wi-Fi would be nice however it's not really a necessity IMO...i mean if you have an unlimited Data Plan which is the only way to go if you own a BB IMO...then you really should have much need for it...
    10-13-08 10:23 PM

Good article. I see that pinching photos, maps, documents to zoom is possible. Hmm, i haven't seen that in any videos.
    10-13-08 10:26 PM
    Excellent article, C_X. Rock on, fairy princess!
    Yeah, I have said this more than once on CB: It looks pretty frakin sweet to me.

Oh yeah, congrats Los.
    Wow. What an insanely good, detailed article. I love how they even work in all the blogosphere mistakes made on the way up to the release of the Storm.

Ahh well.. that's what tech blog rumors are about. Working with the best info at the time. I'd argue things were more right than wrong on the way getting there.

I just want to try this thing out now!
    So Kevin... how close are you to getting your hands on one of these?? I trust your reviews more than any other!!
    10-13-08 10:28 PM
    Excellent article, C_X. Rock on, fairy princess!
    lol

he may not like that nickname
    10-13-08 10:29 PM
    that blows, i wouldn't mind them adding additional size to the phone for wifi stupid thing to do on there part.
    yeah i really dont get why rim didnt make it slightly bigger. as is, its basically the size of a curve, when they could have made it the size of the 9000 or 8830 and thrown the touchscreen on there. this would have not only enabled them to make a larger, more impressive screen to truly trump the iphone, but would have also possibly allowed room for wifi/more radios/more robust processor.
    10-13-08 10:32 PM
    Good article. I see that pinching photos, maps, documents to zoom is possible. Hmm, i haven't seen that in any videos.
    I think the article is saying it has the capability but RIM has not chosen to utilize all of them at this time.
    10-13-08 10:34 PM
    So...if the screen is truely on a "spring", I wonder how long it would last (durability wise). With a ton of texting, emailing and so on, I believe that the spring(s) would start wearing out.

10-13-08 11:41 PM
    So...if the screen is truely on a "spring", I wonder how long it would last (durability wise). With a ton of texting, emailing and so on, I believe that the spring(s) would start wearing out.

not sure that it will... yeah it's a "spring" but it doesnt appear to be a spiral type spring (i.e. what you have in your clicker ball point pen). rather a piece of metal with spring characteristics that can flex a bit.... it doesnt have to move much at all, just enough to change the capacitance of the airspace between this spring material and the board.
    10-14-08 12:30 AM
    so.... does that mean the rumored At&t version (9510) will not have wi-fi as well?
    10-14-08 01:08 AM
    RIM is simply falling behind, both in technology and software. Microsoft Blackberry: here we come.
    10-14-08 01:10 AM
    IMHO if you're with vzw at least it doesn't really matter how long it lasts as they will send u a reconditioned phone if the touchscreen fails. Plus I doubt RIM wouldn't have thought of that...

As for the Wi-Fi if it's confirmed that the att version has it then that could be the last straw for me and vzw. I couldn't care less if every provider has the storm, I say the more the merrier and RIM would be stupid to limit themselves. That said if vzw gets one with a lessor feature set well that would just **** me off. Phone size or not if they fit it in the att version they could have fit it into the vzw version...
    10-14-08 01:29 AM
    IMHO if you're with vzw at least it doesn't really matter how long it lasts as they will send u a reconditioned phone if the touchscreen fails. Plus I doubt RIM wouldn't have thought of that...

As for the Wi-Fi if it's confirmed that the att version has it then that could be the last straw for me and vzw. I couldn't care less if every provider has the storm, I say the more the merrier and RIM would be stupid to limit themselves. That said if vzw gets one with a lessor feature set well that would just **** me off. Phone size or not if they fit it in the att version they could have fit it into the vzw version...
    Personally, I won't sit at Starbucks or any other hotspot surfin' the web on my phone. So to me Wi-fi is really more like a wi-hav.
    Last edited by Jedi_Blackberry; 10-14-08 at 02:06 AM.
    10-14-08 01:47 AM
    That's great for you and more power to ya... For many wi-fi is not an issue. This is not an argument from me that storm needs wi-fi or it fails as a phone but if they put it into the att version then why not the vzw version... That's my problem...

However, as some will say this is all moot really until we know the specs for a future ATT version.
    10-14-08 01:57 AM
    I have WiFi on my Bold, had it on my 8120 and see very little benefit to it.
    10-14-08 04:44 AM
    Another "WiFi vs No WiFi" thread...
    10-14-08 07:09 AM
    Only in very specific scenarios would having Wifi be important, such as in the basement of a library or something...
    10-14-08 11:59 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD