So my phone was stolen...
    I called immediately and got the line suspended, and they said they put the ESN on a list so once someone tries to activate it, it will say stolen.

My question is, can someone still unlock it for use?
    Is there anyway to have the emails deleted from the device remotely?

Anyone have any other tips for me to take? I already got a replacement coming in the mail. I paid $50 for it.
    02-08-09 11:52 PM
    I'm not sure about the e-mail but when I lost my phone before I filed a police report and Verizon Customer Service was able to track my phone down via GPS. This was before the Storm as ab FYI.
    02-08-09 11:55 PM
    as an* FYI
    02-08-09 11:55 PM
    Flagging an ESN as stolen will only help if they try to activate it with the same carrier. i.e. If you had Verizon and reported it stolen with Verizon, someone could still unlock it and activate it with T-Mobile.

As for the emails, are you running BIS or BES? If you are on a BES, your BES admin could remotely wipe and disable the handset rendering it useless...
    02-08-09 11:58 PM
    Flagging an ESN as stolen will only help if they try to activate it with the same carrier. i.e. If you had Verizon and reported it stolen with Verizon, someone could still unlock it and activate it with T-Mobile.

As for the emails, are you running BIS or BES? If you are on a BES, your BES admin could remotely wipe and disable the handset rendering it useless...
    How would someone go about unlocking it though? Don't you need to call customer service to get the unlock codes?

And also I just had the regular BB account, not through a company or anything.
    02-09-09 12:05 AM
    I thought i read on here a while back that the device can be rendered useless with the pin or something tied specifically to the phone.
    I may be way off, but someone else had a similar issue.
    02-09-09 12:05 AM
    Thanks guys, I'll make a police report.
    02-09-09 12:12 AM
    here's the quote i was thinking of from Sith:
    Once wiped it is useable by anyone as long as the ESN isnt blocked. If you call VZW and they block the ESN then it can still be unlocked to be used on GSM.
    02-09-09 12:15 AM
    here's the quote i was thinking of from Sith:
    How would someone go about unlocking it though? I mean I read the threads here for vzw, but from my understanding the only way to unlock it is to get the unlock codes by calling customer service.

Can I call Verizon and get the ESN and give it to other carriers to block it?
    02-09-09 12:18 AM
    Anyone know about the unlocking?
    02-09-09 12:54 AM
    Why would you be so worried about unlocking your stolen phone?
    Let the thief worry about that. Now, if I were the person who stole it, I would be asking these questions.
    02-09-09 01:07 AM
    Why would you be so worried about unlocking your stolen phone?
    Let the thief worry about that. Now, if I were the person who stole it, I would be asking these questions.
    Because I want it to be completely useless to the person who stole it.
    02-09-09 01:57 AM
    As for wiping info unless you had third party apps on it your only option is I'd you had password protection on your phone. I have my pearl set for three tries then wipe phone and sd card. Sorry for your loss.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-09 05:35 AM
    I'm not sure about the e-mail but when I lost my phone before I filed a police report and Verizon Customer Service was able to track my phone down via GPS. This was before the Storm as ab FYI.
    Did customer service depatch a recovery team for your phone also? I call bull****.
    02-09-09 06:19 AM
    Did customer service depatch a recovery team for your phone also? I call bull****.
    Obviously they sent the Can You Hear Me Now Guy and the Network after the criminal to retrieve the phone. :-)
    02-09-09 07:55 AM

I have my pearl set for three tries then wipe phone and sd card.
    I'd be interested in learning how you set up the "wiping" part of that... and if it can be done on a storm.
    02-09-09 08:07 AM
    Rofl. Ya I am thinking I smell a load on the "Verizon tracked down my phone via GPS"
    02-09-09 08:12 AM
    As for wiping info unless you had third party apps on it your only option is I'd you had password protection on your phone. I have my pearl set for three tries then wipe phone and sd card. Sorry for your loss.

What if one of your buddies picks up your phone when you're taking a leak and tries the password three times....OOPS.
    02-09-09 08:33 AM
    While searching on cl, i noticed a lot of unlocking services. No one has answered my question. Anyone know if it's possible to do even if the phone is blacklisted?

Also I called VZW and they told me it can no longer be activated on their network and that there is no way to wipe the phone remotely and that the police will most probably not use GPS to track it.
    02-09-09 12:25 PM
    I'd be interested in learning how you set up the "wiping" part of that... and if it can be done on a storm.
    From what I understand this feature kicks on as soon as you set a pasword. You just set how many times you want to be able to input the password. After so many attempts the blackberry will wipe itself clean. Correct me if I am wrong here guys and gals.
    02-09-09 01:30 PM
    From what I understand this feature kicks on as soon as you set a pasword. You just set how many times you want to be able to input the password. After so many attempts the blackberry will wipe itself clean. Correct me if I am wrong here guys and gals.

You are correct!

02-09-09 01:38 PM
    That phone is down south already and being used.
    02-09-09 01:45 PM
    While searching on cl, i noticed a lot of unlocking services. No one has answered my question. Anyone know if it's possible to do even if the phone is blacklisted?
    When you report a phone stolen, the ESN is only flagged (or "blacklisted") in that carrier's billing/activation system (it's not some national, shared database that all carriers feed into). So if the ESN is typed into their system during an ESN change or activation, an error message pops up saying that the phone has been reported as stolen. It is completely within that carrier's system, so if someone uses a 3rd party vendor to unlock the phone, it would still be possible (assuming the 3rd party has cracked the algorithm used to generate the unlock codes) to have it activated on a different carrier...

But again, if you have a replacement on the way, who cares if the thief can activate your old phone on another carrier? It won't change the fact that you paid for a replacement already, it won't change the fact that any sensitive info you had on the phone has already been viewed, and it sure won't cause the thief to return the phone to you... Activate your replacement handset and move on with your life...
    Last edited by 48hughey; 02-09-09 at 02:03 PM.
    02-09-09 01:53 PM
    if you have a replacement on the way, who cares if the thief can activate your old phone on another carrier? It won't change the fact that you paid for a replacement already, it won't change the fact that any sensitive info you had on the phone has already been viewed, and it sure won't cause the thief to return the phone to you... Activate your replacement handset and move on with your life...
    Quoted for ultimate truth.
    02-09-09 02:03 PM
    When you report a phone stolen, the ESN is only flagged (or "blacklisted") in that carrier's billing/activation system (it's not some national, shared database that all carriers feed into). So if the ESN is typed into their system during an ESN change or activation, an error message pops up saying that the phone has been reported as stolen. It is completely within that carrier's system, so if someone uses a 3rd party vendor to unlock the phone, it would still be possible (assuming the 3rd party has cracked the algorithm used to generate the unlock codes) to have it activated on a different carrier...

But again, if you have a replacement on the way, who cares if the thief can activate your old phone on another carrier? It won't change the fact that you paid for a replacement already, it won't change the fact that any sensitive info you had on the phone has already been viewed, and it sure won't cause the thief to return the phone to you... Activate your replacement handset and move on with your life...
    If someone stole my phone, truck, fourwheeler, whatever, I would want it to be completely useless to them whether insurance took care of it or not. Obviously, you've never had a damn thing stolen from you.
    02-09-09 03:00 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD