Whenever i put new mp3 song files on my card, it takes one or two times of removing and replacing the sd card from my phone before the media list is updated with the new song(s) i put on..

more annoyingly, whenever i add a new ringtone, it takes it sweet time showing up. i just added a new tone before and not only removed and replaced the sd card, i did a bat pull and it still isnt showing up. I even tried deleting the ringtone off the sd card, taking the card out of the phone and using a usb card reader to add it on but that still doesnt help..

anyone else have these problems? anyone know why this might be happening? I used to love the fact that i didnt have to take the card out of the phone to put something on it but it doesnt seem to help now a days.

think it could be a fault in the newer OS's? Im running .122 right now.
    05-17-09 02:55 PM
    Known fault with the media card having indexing issues.

Do you use the drag and drop method to add media to the card? Do this... BEFORE you add new media to the card, delete the BBThumbs.dat file from the folder you are adding media to. You may have to "Show Hidden" to be able to see that file. This file is created by the phone so it can "find" the media faster for indexing in menus. Once you have deleted that file, then add your media... when you unhook the phone from the PC, the media card will scan and will create a new BBThumbs.dat file, which includes all of the recently added media.
    05-17-09 02:57 PM
    she is absolutely correct! btw congrats on your recent "master" status morf!
    05-17-09 03:01 PM
    she is absolutely correct! btw congrats on your recent "master" status morf!
    Thanks! Ha ha ha! I just noticed it this morning... it happened overnight because they moved our "TruePress" thread back to the main forum! Woot! They also took the word "speculation" out of the title. Interesting...

Oh... and I have answered this particular question about 50 times here... that helps with the post count! Ha ha ha ha!
    05-17-09 03:04 PM
    same here with the .113 "YKW" situations way back....
    05-17-09 03:06 PM
    thanks a lot morf! this worked for me this time and hopefully every other time in the future.
    05-17-09 05:01 PM
    thanks a lot morf! this worked for me this time and hopefully every other time in the future.
    No problem!
    05-17-09 05:02 PM
    I'd say when ever you mess with media always delete the BBthumbs.dat file. Just good practice to get into.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 05:03 PM
    I've also found that when I load media, I do a battery pull right afterwards and the media shows up immediately. I am using drag and drop in mass media mode, not going through the DM.

I suspect that the phone reimages the media card when it boots up and creates a new BBthumbs.dat file that way.
    05-17-09 05:08 PM
    Its supposed to but it doesn't always. The delete of that particular file ensures it creates a new one. Sometimes it doesn't overwrite correctly.

05-17-09 05:11 PM
    yea i tried several batt pulls and it didnt overwrite that file. but the deletion upon adding files should work
    05-17-09 05:37 PM
    Yea.. I'd agree Morf has earned her master status especially as she has spread her knowledge on this issue during my inquiries as well.

05-17-09 06:03 PM
    Yea.. I'd agree Morf has earned her master status especially as she has spread her knowledge on this issue during my inquiries as well.

Thank you, but I can't take all the credit... most of what I am knowledgeable about now, I learned right here on CB from others.
    05-17-09 06:04 PM
    btw, you're welcome for sending you the answers to all the questions
    05-17-09 06:06 PM
    yeah i must say if it wasnt without cb i probably would have given up on, if ever gotten, my storm...

BUT, endless factual frea...err, i mean geniuses, like yourselves, saved me! ;o)
    05-17-09 06:16 PM
    I am also having problems (have posted as such) with music files not showing up in media player. I have deleted the indivudal thumbs files from all artist and albums folders hoping they would be rebuilt. Some were and some were not. Is there a "master" thumbs file that can be deleted in order to force a rebuild?

I am orgainzed by folders - \artist\album\tracks. All are in the music fodlder onthe media card. Some folders have thumbs files and some do not. But that does not seem to be the key to having the tracks appear in media manager. The seemingly randomness of the proccess is what has me stumped.

Any ideas?
    05-18-09 06:20 AM
    I am also having problems (have posted as such) with music files not showing up in media player. I have deleted the indivudal thumbs files from all artist and albums folders hoping they would be rebuilt. Some were and some were not. Is there a "master" thumbs file that can be deleted in order to force a rebuild?

I am orgainzed by folders - \artist\album\tracks. All are in the music fodlder onthe media card. Some folders have thumbs files and some do not. But that does not seem to be the key to having the tracks appear in media manager. The seemingly randomness of the proccess is what has me stumped.

Any ideas?
    To be honest with you, I don't have any other ideas. I don't know if it is the way you have your particular folders set up (maybe?) or something else entirely. I know there are others who have complained that the phone doesn't always truly reflect how much music is on it. That one still has me stumped. But I answered this to "bump" it to the top, in case someone else has a solid answer for this.
    05-18-09 07:31 AM

Any ideas?
    how are you getting the media onto your phone? USB cable and drag/drop, or sync with a media software?

i use windows media player, and when i sync to the memory card, it creates a whole new folder titled "music" on the card, right parallel to the "blackberry" folder in the directory tree. so when i wanna add new music, i just delete the whole folder, and re-sync from scratch. never have to worry about deleting the thubs.dat files, because it creates a new one every time.
    05-18-09 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD