Had the same issue (brand new Bold out of the box), sent the device in for a replacement, which still had the same problem, was going to get it replaced again and found this:

forums.pinstack.com/f8/mass_storage_issues_heres_the_fix-96938

Run the bat file, press a key, let the phone reboot and mass storage mode started working again!
    Not to sound like a complete n00b but what is the "bat" file. I ask this b/c i just got back from taking a refurb in for this issue. They gave me a brand new phone w/ all the accessories (so now i have a spare battery and microSD card!) so i was pleased.

If something should happen I would like to be able to remedy this issue, plus i bet some other people aren't sure what you mean too. Thanks for the help! I hope it works!
    01-20-09 06:47 PM
    No problems ... at work so trying to keep things short

Go to the link in that post. There should be a file in the first post "BB storage Activation new.rar". Download that file and extract the file. There will be three files in there, one of which has a .bat extension. Connect your BB, double click on the .bat file and a DOS cmd window pops up. Press any key when prompted to, then wait for the device to reboot. (I kept pressing a key cos it kept prompting me ), and mass storage mode should work again. It did for me

Good luck!
    01-20-09 07:29 PM
    No problems ... at work so trying to keep things short

Go to the link in that post. There should be a file in the first post "BB storage Activation new.rar". Download that file and extract the file. There will be three files in there, one of which has a .bat extension. Connect your BB, double click on the .bat file and a DOS cmd window pops up. Press any key when prompted to, then wait for the device to reboot. (I kept pressing a key cos it kept prompting me ), and mass storage mode should work again. It did for me

Good luck!
    forgot to go to the link. doh!
    thanks! mine works for now but this is a good tip for this thread!
    01-20-09 07:48 PM
    Thanks for the tip about mass storage and cleaning of cache's, after doing both it allowed me to perform a proper data backup without error message.
    04-27-09 08:06 PM
    Just want to bump this. I was just about to take my new replacement storm into the garage and run it through the band saw!
    06-14-09 04:36 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD