Some may know this already, but I just figured this out ... By default when storm is connected with data cable, the mac does not see it. But if you go to options -> Memory , scrolll down , and enable "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" . This will enable you to transfer files: music, movies, pictures .. etc without extra software !

This was a great find for me as I was having to boot my mac into bootcamp to sync music and pictures!!! Maybe this belongs in tips and tricks? Hope this helps!
    11-28-08 12:46 PM
    i already enabled mine but its cool cause it will mount the phone and also the memory card
    11-28-08 12:54 PM
    Phlite, could you explain how you actually transferred your music and photos? Did you transfer from Itunes and Iphoto? I had my mass storage enabled, but don't really know how to go on from there...lol, please explain in very simple terms for a very simple mind, lol.
    11-28-08 01:11 PM
    Just transfer the files into the drive as if it where a flash drive. Drag and drop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 01:15 PM
    Yep, just open up finder, and you should see blackberry 2 and 3 , one of them is the expansion memory card (8GB) the other is the built in. Simply drag and drop music/pics/movies into them.

This also works for windows of course.
    11-28-08 01:51 PM
    what about contacts from your address book?
    11-28-08 01:53 PM
    Ya, this isn't going to help you with that, this is simply a way to directly transfer files (pictures, music, videos) from your mac/pc to the storm. You will likely need special software such as "Missing Sync" to interface with the storms contact/calendar directory.
    11-28-08 02:11 PM
    i know this solution isn't for everyone, but google sync now has over the air sync with blackberry. i took all my contacts from address and just loaded them into gmail and now everything is done over the air. it's the best way for me. then i export from gmail and import into address book. works like a charm every time.
    11-28-08 02:33 PM
    11-28-08 02:51 PM
    True, works great, also if you use PocketMac
    11-28-08 03:16 PM
    So I followed your instructions and enabled the "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" to YES. I then transferred my itunes mp3s to folder Blackberry -> home -> user -> music. I dragged and dropped as instructed and my music is STILL not showing up on my Storm. Am I just not getting it?? Any help appreciated. Thanks!
    11-28-08 06:55 PM
    So, still no easy way to transfer iTunes Mp4 format and convert to Mp3 format so they'll play on Storm?
    11-28-08 07:09 PM
    So, RIMs current top-line BB still works like their old models - which is to say, mass storage mode is pretty much your only Mac option?

How sweet of them.
    Maybe they'll get that Mac-compatability software out in first Q 2009.
    That would perchance even give them time to fix the Storm itself!

Next year just might be all'ight after all.
    Nifty-neato.
    11-28-08 09:35 PM
    So, RIMs current top-line BB still works like their old models - which is to say, mass storage mode is pretty much your only Mac option?

How sweet of them.

Nifty-neato.
    Digital Cataclysm,

You have a free option to sync everything. BB provides PocketMac for BlackBerry and updated drivers at the following link:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac

BB recently posted an update to PocketMac and the drivers in response to problems Storm users were having with it. It's only five days old or so, but I'm reading good things about it.

Also, if you don't mind rolling out a little jack for a third party program, try MisingSync for BlackBerry at The Missing Sync for Mobile Smartphones to Mac OS X and Windows. I'm using it and it works flawlessly.

The only thing I transfer to my BB while it's mounted (as opposed to syncing it) is ringtones. I trim down my mp3's to what I want and drag and drop them in the ringtone folder when my BB is mounted.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!
    11-28-08 10:02 PM

How sweet of them.

Nifty-neato.
    In all fairness, this is also the only way I've found to transfer files using a PC too since all the PC software I got from Blackberry either only transfers some (an understatement) of what I ask it too OR crashes before it even does that. Seems I'm having the opposite problem as a lot of other folks...my Storm is working great, but my desktop software is the pits.
    11-28-08 10:09 PM
    In all fairness, this is also the only way I've found to transfer files using a PC too since all the PC software I got from Blackberry either only transfers some (an understatement) of what I ask it too OR crashes before it even does that. Seems I'm having the opposite problem as a lot of other folks...my Storm is working great, but my desktop software is the pits.
    ChuckH0308,

If I sounded a bit harsh in my last post, that was not my intention. I've had my struggles with this Storm too including wrestling with PocketMac before BB released the updated program and drivers. Evidently, BB was caught off-guard by the release of it's own product (dripping with sarcasm) as they did not get a Mac software update out until 4 or 5 days afterward.

Of course I'm open to the other explanation that is bound to rear it's ugly head...everyone at BB is a PC. (I figure I better get that one out of the way before someone else takes the shot)

At any rate, my intention was to brief that there are options to sync and people, including myself, are having success with them.

Cheers!!
    11-28-08 10:59 PM
    Nope, you didn't sound harsh! I was just saying that for me the PC support hasn't been anymore helpful than the Mac support. I just didn't word it well. Let's hope that Blackberry gets things improved no matter what you're using!
    11-28-08 11:22 PM
    Let's hope that Blackberry gets things improved no matter what you're using!
    Amen to that.
    Love my BB, but I'd like to see some improvements myself.
    Just seems a long time coming.
    11-29-08 02:46 AM
    I have a macbook pro, and i cant find the "options" icon to start the whole process.
    11-29-08 05:01 PM
    My employer turns off mass storage mode and also encrypts our media cards, so neither of these are a solution for me. I can only use the media manager from work, which really blows.
    11-29-08 05:17 PM
    okay, I'm highly embarrassed now. I thought all the changes had to be made on the MAC, but I figured out they are to be made on the BB. All is well with the world again, carry on!
    11-29-08 07:10 PM
    This might be a dumb question but about how long does it take to sync your BB through PocketMac on the first sync?

This is my first blackberry so I have no clue what I'm doing but I love the Storm so far.

I've tried to sync a few times and the first couple times the application closed randomly and once or twice I figured it wasn't doing anything so I cancelled it cause I I had to leave for work. Now its been syncing my contacts (there aren't a lot) for at least 15 mins. Any help? : )
    11-29-08 08:42 PM
    How do you get to "Options" on a MAc? Anyone?
    12-07-08 08:46 PM
    I do want to mention that this isn't for mac only mass storage mode allows for the drives to show up on mac OR pc..

its a function of the device not the mac/pc itself.
    12-07-08 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD