i keep getting crank calls from a private number. is there a way to block these calls?
    Last edited by weasel123; 01-07-09 at 04:35 AM.
    01-07-09 04:23 AM
    and verizon can't block a number for you, either. i tried that to no avail once.

good luck.
    What's funny about that is part of their silly they have the ability to it is part of the "usage controls" for kids to stop them from calling numbers or for numbers to call them and they make you pay $4.99 a month for it. It silly they say they can't I am considering confronting them on that one.

01-07-09 05:07 AM
    Very simple. Go to youmail.com and sign up for free. You can now control what happens when blocked and/or private numbers call you. With me they hear a custom mp3 that I uploaded.
    01-07-09 05:12 AM
    Try Black & Whitelist. 25.00 to buy but has a trial. I have used it for some time and like it.
    01-07-09 06:33 AM
    What's funny about that is part of their silly they have the ability to it is part of the "usage controls" for kids to stop them from calling numbers or for numbers to call them and they make you pay $4.99 a month for it. It silly they say they can't I am considering confronting them on that one.

Usage controls can't block "restricted" calls. "Confront" them and you'll get the same response.
    01-07-09 06:47 AM
    Have you tried *77?
    01-07-09 07:08 AM
    Keep this thread on topic and keep the discussion off of Police Officers or it will be closed. And no more offensive posts towards the Police.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 07:13 AM
    Is that what *77 refers to police officers? I tell you I learn something new everyday up here
    01-07-09 07:29 AM
    Mod I'm not seeing ANY offensive post about the police?? *77 is a feature offered by your carrier that allows you to block restricted callers from calling you.
    01-07-09 07:49 AM
    Maybe the offensive post was deleted because I am not sEeing it either

01-07-09 08:13 AM
    Crucial sanitized the thread. He wasn't talking to me
    01-07-09 08:17 AM
    Crucial sanitized the thread. He wasn't talking to me
    He should have just sent you a pm then instead of posting in the thread. n00b mod's I tell ya
    01-07-09 08:51 AM
    Usage controls can't block "restricted" calls. "Confront" them and you'll get the same response.
    That is true, but I think the catch here is that if you call Verizon and ask them to block a certain number (non-private) on your cell line, they will tell you that they cannot do that. They state they don't have that capability like a land line does to block numbers. Then they try to sell you this "kid control" crap which obviously has that very same ability. Nice bait and switch tactic. Someone does need to confront them with this. If you ask me, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Come on, a phone company that can't block certain numbers from calling you? Give me a break! It's 2009, you're telling me Verizon can't block a phone number?
    01-07-09 08:57 AM
    Keep this thread on topic and keep the discussion off of Police Officers or it will be closed. And no more offensive posts towards the Police.

reshtjkiu57eikmstyuxtdkoi
    Last edited by SpiralLight; 01-07-09 at 09:14 AM.
    01-07-09 08:58 AM
    FYI

*77 did not work with Verizon.
    01-07-09 09:03 AM
    this is interesting... you know, with some "dumb" phones, there is the ability to block private/blocked #'s from being received on the phone. I would've assumed a Berry would have even more capabilities. I used to have an LG chocolate and in the security settings, it let you restrict calls to only receive calls from people that are in your phone book.
    01-07-09 11:42 AM
    iCall Manager LIGHT can let you control the calls you receive on your phone. It has a preset option to block all unknown/private numbers and you can also select numbers to allow or block. Currently selling for $18 on i-softwarelabs.com.
    01-07-09 11:58 AM
    FYI

*77 did not work with Verizon.
    *77 did not work with Sprint either.
    01-12-09 02:18 PM
    The wireless carrier I work for can't block any calls, but if you are getting harrassing calls, we do offer to switch your phone number for free.
    01-12-09 03:18 PM
    youmail.com is fun and great
    01-12-09 03:54 PM
    That is true, but I think the catch here is that if you call Verizon and ask them to block a certain number (non-private) on your cell line, they will tell you that they cannot do that. They state they don't have that capability like a land line does to block numbers. Then they try to sell you this "kid control" crap which obviously has that very same ability. Nice bait and switch tactic. Someone does need to confront them with this. If you ask me, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Come on, a phone company that can't block certain numbers from calling you? Give me a break! It's 2009, you're telling me Verizon can't block a phone number?

This used to be the case, but now when you call, and assuming you get a knowledgeable rep, they can block up to 5 numbers at no additional charge. Of course this only works if you know the numbers you want blocked.
    01-12-09 04:02 PM
    So that kind of defeated the purpose of blocking private callers. I guess the answer to the original question is "at this time, NO"
    01-12-09 04:20 PM
    youmail rocks..... (it's free)

i too have a custom wav created at the at&t text to speech website (lets you download the file) for unknown and/or private callers. they also have ALOT of free greetings to choose from too.
    01-12-09 04:52 PM
    I can't block numbers, but I can make sure I never answer them. What I do is put the number in my address book, and name it "Do not answer." Then change the custom ring for that number to "Mute". I wish I could block the number, but since I can't, this has been the best solution I could think of.
    01-12-09 05:54 PM
    If you call customer service, you can block up to five different numbers from contacting your cell at no charge. Just ask for a "nuisance block". Only bummer is you can't block restricted or unknown calls.
    01-12-09 06:17 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD