Does anyone understand how to combine multiple backups and different programs into their phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 09:04 AM
    I do this type of backup once a week. Once a week I do a regular 3rd party apps backup. Then I take the new backup and copy all those files into my previous backup folder. Finally I edit the alx file to incorporate the new apps with the old apps into a single alx file.

05-24-09 10:00 AM
    You can also select the individual alx files from the browse option in the app loader to add the apps from the multiple backups into a single list in the app loader. But this won't give you a single hard copy backup.

05-24-09 10:08 AM
    I do this type of backup once a week. Once a week I do a regular 3rd party apps backup. Then I take the new backup and copy all those files into my previous backup folder. Finally I edit the alx file to incorporate the new apps with the old apps into a single alx file.

Do you have a link for instructions how to do this? &
    Are you using DM 5.0 or different version?
    05-24-09 10:25 AM
    Do you have a link for instructions how to do this? &
    Are you using DM 5.0 or different version?
    There isn't a link for doing this since I figured out how to do it on my own. I use DM 5.0 on one of my computers and DM 4.7 on another.

05-24-09 10:32 AM
    Could you easily type out the instructions?
    05-24-09 10:33 AM
    I'll try to type it out to the best of my ability. Just give me a few minutes to go through it in my mind.

05-24-09 10:51 AM
    Thanks. I'm reading up on it as well through searching.

I'll be happy to test out the instructions and then if you want feedback, I would then suggest it be sent to CX to amend the 3rd party backup sticky. This is a critical step that you should get the "credit" for..

Thanks again.
    05-24-09 11:00 AM
    Here is a rough draft:

1) Follow the steps of how to make a 3rd party app backup (Switch Device Wizard).
    2) Since you previously have a 3rd party apps backup, you should give this folder another name to avoid overwritting the original and to avoid confussion.
    3) Make a backup of your backups in case you do something wrong.
    4) Find the alx in the new backup folder, right click it and click open.
    5) Choose Select a program from a list of installed programs, click OK.
    6) Choose Wordpad and uncheck the box saying "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", click OK.
    7) Repeat the steps 3-5 for the original backup.
    8) A basic alx file has the following file structure:
    <loader version="1.0">
    <application id="">
    <name></name>
    <description></description>
    <version></version>
    <vendor></vendor>
    <copyright></copyright>
    <fileset Java="1.0">
    <files></files>
    </fileset>
    </application>
    </loader>
    9) The main thing that you want to look for is the difference between the two alx files (the new apps).
    10) After finding this you want to select and copy everything from <application id> to </application> for the specific app from the new backup and paste it into the original backup. Just make sure that it remains before the </loader> tag or else it won't be recognized by app loader. (I go through app by app so that it remains alphabetical).
    11) Now go to your 3rd party apps backup and copy the java files from the new backup folder into the original backup folder.
    12) Repeat this for the remaining apps.
    13) Next save this file.
    14) You should now have a folder containing all of the java files for your apps along with an alx file that app loader can use to call these apps.
    15) Open up app loader, click browse and select the newly created alx file to test.

Last edited by ArmaK; 05-24-09 at 11:27 AM.
    05-24-09 11:10 AM
    Almost done. 1st test resulted in when I went into DM 5.0 and browsed to my first test file, it had most of what I had already on their and 1 program went over with it.

I had the .alx and the cod's in the same file when I went to browse. Does that folder make a difference where it is on the PC?
    05-24-09 02:47 PM
    Yes and no, the location of the folder doesn't matter as long as it isn't moved after you select the alx file. What I mean by this is that you can put the folder anywhere on your computer and then select the alx file using the browse option in app loader. If you should move this folder, the app loader won't be able to find the location of the cod files to install the apps.

05-24-09 02:51 PM
    Got it! So what I did was take the newly updated .alx from combining them all, made a new folder to put it in, and then copied the java files into that new folder and it worked.
    05-24-09 03:25 PM
    Glad to hear that you got it to work.

05-24-09 03:33 PM
    This is good stuff, and you should send it to CX to be a part of this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...-4-7-a-125449/
    05-24-09 05:56 PM
    Here is a rough draft:

1) Follow the steps of how to make a 3rd party app backup (Switch Device Wizard).
    2) Since you previously have a 3rd party apps backup, you should give this folder another name to avoid overwritting the original and to avoid confussion.
    3) Make a backup of your backups in case you do something wrong.
    4) Find the alx in the new backup folder, right click it and click open.
    5) Choose Select a program from a list of installed programs, click OK.
    6) Choose Wordpad and uncheck the box saying "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", click OK.
    7) Repeat the steps 3-5 for the original backup.
    8) A basic alx file has the following file structure:
    <loader version="1.0">
    <application id="">
    <name></name>
    <description></description>
    <version></version>
    <vendor></vendor>
    <copyright></copyright>
    <fileset Java="1.0">
    <files></files>
    </fileset>
    </application>
    </loader>
    9) The main thing that you want to look for is the difference between the two alx files (the new apps).
    10) After finding this you want to select and copy everything from <application id> to </application> for the specific app from the new backup and paste it into the original backup. Just make sure that it remains before the </loader> tag or else it won't be recognized by app loader. (I go through app by app so that it remains alphabetical).
    11) Now go to your 3rd party apps backup and copy the java files from the new backup folder into the original backup folder.
    12) Repeat this for the remaining apps.
    13) Next save this file.
    14) You should now have a folder containing all of the java files for your apps along with an alx file that app loader can use to call these apps.
    15) Open up app loader, click browse and select the newly created alx file to test.

These directions won't wrk for DM 4.7??

06-01-09 01:10 AM
    These directions won't wrk for DM 4.7??

These directions will work for any version of DM. I'll post up a more concrete version when I get done editing it.

06-01-09 01:13 AM
    These directions will work for any version of DM. I'll post up a more concrete version when I get done editing it.

Alright..looking forward to it..:-)

06-01-09 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD