Does anyone else have the problem of having little specs of dirt getting underneath the screen? It doesn't affect how anything but when the screen is black you can tell it there are tiny specs of debri. Just wondering if anyone has this problem and if you can do anything about it? Thanks
    02-21-09 12:57 PM
    Try using a small mini hand held vacuum along the sides and bottom of your screen to pull out the specs of lint or debris.
    02-21-09 01:15 PM
    Return it.
    I did
    I cant stand that, you didnt buy your phone for it to have that under the screen.
    Call 611. Complain

I never have got a refrub.

4 differnt brand new phones, just complain
    You get what you want.

And if you dont
    Hangup.

Call back "new person everytime"

Hope this helps.
    02-21-09 01:22 PM
    Had the same problem and got a replacement I suggest you do the same its only going to get worse.
    I use a sticky note to clean around the screen, fold the note sticky side out and run it in the grove between the screen.
    02-21-09 01:28 PM
    I'm dealing with it for now. I work in a bakery so there's lots of flour/dust in the air, it's annoying sometimes, but unless the screen is dark the dust isn't noticeable.
    02-21-09 01:34 PM
    I'm dealing with it for now. I work in a bakery so there's lots of flour/dust in the air, it's annoying sometimes, but unless the screen is dark the dust isn't noticeable.
    I have had my Storm since 12/18 and havr not had a dust problem. My question is do you keep a screen protector on your Storm? I have noted when I change these out the screen appeares to have vsmoething that looks like very small holes on the top spaced evenly across the screen.

Does anyone think this could be the sorce for the "dust"?
    02-21-09 01:44 PM
    I called VZW on Saturday and had my warranty replacement on Tuesday. This is a manufacturing defect.

I had my Storm from 12/2.

Does anyone else have the problem of having little specs of dirt getting underneath the screen? It doesn't affect how anything but when the screen is black you can tell it there are tiny specs of debri. Just wondering if anyone has this problem and if you can do anything about it? Thanks
    02-21-09 01:46 PM
    I have had my Storm since 12/18 and havr not had a dust problem. My question is do you keep a screen protector on your Storm? I have noted when I change these out the screen appeares to have vsmoething that looks like very small holes on the top spaced evenly across the screen.

The glass touchscreen is actually a panel over the actual screen. Dust gets in on the sides and can work under the glass.
    02-21-09 01:47 PM
    If it bothers u enough just call in and get a replacemnt. All the warranty replacements are brand new. I have dust under my screen but it doesn't bother me enough to replace it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 01:55 PM

Those little holes you are referring to are the touch sensors.
    02-21-09 02:07 PM
    Those little holes you are referring to are the touch sensors.
    Thank you that makes sence. I knew once they were covered it could not vent if that what they were. CB users are the best.

Thanks again
    02-21-09 02:22 PM
    So let me get this straight, you get a little dust under the screen and can just walk into the store and get a new storm....just like that? or is it a phone in shipped replacement?
    02-21-09 02:28 PM
    Sorry about your dust problem but there are several threads pertaining to this issue. Here are the links...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...t+under+screen
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/du...ht=dust+screen
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/dus...t+under+screen

Just to name a few...
    02-21-09 02:35 PM
    i tried using one of those compresed gas dusters. but i think it made it worst. all it did was push the dust more in the middle of the screen. so be careful when using those air dusters.
    02-21-09 02:48 PM
    On Saturday I called VZW and selected the Blackberry Support line option (can't remember what number it was), explained my problem.

The Support Tech said "well of course there's no troubleshooting we can do here. Is there any other damage on your Storm - cracked screen, water damage?" - I told him no, just the dust under the screen.
    (This question helped him to ascertain whether an Insurance replacement or a Warranty replacement was in order).

He then told me that a Warranty replacement would be Fedexed to me. Someone would need to be home. My wife signed for the Fedex Package on Tuesday.

The replacement did not have a battery or Micro SD card - so I used my old ones. I did a JL Cmdr wipe on my old 9530 and placed it in the packaging and prepaid Fedex box (supplied by VZW). My wife dropped it at the local Fedex store.

My replacement was a Canadian unit with a Refurb model number, but it looked brand new. I did a JL Cmdr wipe on it and installed all my apps. I then did a DM Synch.

(I did have to purchase QuickLaunch again as it would not accept my activation code - due to the fact the activation code is linked to the PIN)!

I had to setup my Call Forwarding to YouMail though!

Voila!

To answer your question, I wouldn't go into my local Verizon Wireless store due to the calibre of the staff there, that's why I just went directly to the BB Support team.

Oh yes - and I called VZW Global Support to get my phone unlocked as I may be going to the UK to see my folks at some point in the near future - they have a myriad of pre-pay SIM's from Virgin, O2, Orange to Vodafone.

So let me get this straight, you get a little dust under the screen and can just walk into the store and get a new storm....just like that? or is it a phone in shipped replacement?
    Last edited by bbsean; 02-21-09 at 03:09 PM.
    02-21-09 03:06 PM
    I called Verizon last night about my dust problem. Keep in mind, I had so much dust under my screen that it looked blurry.

Verizon did not hesitate to replace my phone. There sending out a brand new phone on monday that will be at my hosue on Wednesday.

all you gotta do is call verizon and tell them the problem you are having.
    02-21-09 03:26 PM
    I have now been on hold with VZW for 30min. This is round three.

Round I: Customer Service Line

I called *611 (since its not technical but cosmetic). I hit option 3 (Tech Support) then option 1 (problem with Blackberry device). From there it was option 4 (other technical problems) as well as enter your account password. The first lady I talked to was unaware of this problem and told me to call the store to see if they could clean or replace. She was nice, but ignorant.

Round II: Local VZW Store via Telephone
    I called my local store and talked to whatever guy (didn't give a name). I explained how I had purchased my Blackberry Storm on Nov. 21st, how dust was now accumulating under the screen, and if there was anyway to clean or replace the phone. He said he would be unable to do any of the above, that I should call Customer Service (again?!) and they should ship a replacement out to me, with no problem (a glimmering light in the distance?). He also said, if I felt so inclined, I could bring the phone in and see if tech support could do anything, but he doubted it.

Round III: Customer Service Line, AGAIN
    I called with higher hopes, again choosing the options (3-1-4) as explained in round I. I was on hold for 30 min (see opening line) and finally got Brian. I explained my problem to Brian (see Round II) and he said, "let me see if there isn't anyway to clean it, or we'll send one right out to you." After another 5 min of being on hold, Brian returned, asking if I had a can of compressed air. I explained, that ME, being a CRACKBERRY member (woot woot) had already tried the "common fixes" to this problem and that none worked. Brian then said, "Well unfortunately, we are unable to send you a replacement phone as 'dirt under the screen' is not a valid excuse. To send you a replacement, you would be billed for said replacement." I died a little inside.

After 7 years of great service with Verizon, I think AT&T/iPhone is calling. I asked Brian, just to clarify, "You're telling me, that my $500 phone that has a manufacturers defect, cannot be replaced, because the manufacturer screwed up? That I paid $500 for this phone, plus ~$70 a month for data/messaging/voice just to be told that the manufacturer screwed up and that I'm stuck with a phone of which I can't see the screen cause of dust in it?"

Brian replies - "Sir, I'm sorry. I have looked at our policy, but that is not a reason for a replacement."

I said, "Well, I appreciate your time, but I guess I'm gonna have to go visit AT&T tomorrow and look into the iPhone. Thank you for providing great service for seven years."

Brian said he would "tag" my account for me.

I took 20min to write this. I have since cooled down, and will call Verizon one more time, give them a last chance to keep a customer.

Round IV: Customer Service Line (the third time)
    Once again, I call *611 and input 3-1-4 when prompted (see round I). Entered my account password as requested (don't want nobody hacking my account). Got Lewis this time. I explained my situation, again. He said, as the first person, to take the phone to the store to have a technician look at it. HOWEVER, Lewis said, he needs the technician to determine if this is "Physical Damage" (like I'd let dust touch my Storm?!?!?!) or if it is a "Manufacturer Defect." I very politely (as well as I could at the time) explained that my avid CRACKBERRY membership skills tell me its the manufacturer, but that I would play his game and go to the store. He provided me with his direct number, and gave me his hours of work, so tomorrow I can call him direct and solve the problem from there.

Hopefully this is all just a momentary mess up by VZW and that this will work itself out. If not, that iPhone is pretty sleek, and does have a Zippo Lighter app...

I will post tomorrow with the final verdict...
    02-22-09 05:34 PM
    Ok, so I guess Part II (of III) of my story:

I drove out to the VZW store (7.93 miles [mapquest]). The store was very busy (guess phones are the business to be in) and I checked in. Was promptly attended to Amy, who is, even though she doesn't know, my next wife. Wish I had gotten her number... ANYWAYS, I explained my situation, that I had called yesterday and was now coming in to get a "professional assesment." She took my phone, looked at it, asked if "Jonathan, do you work in a dusty environment?" and tried a compressed air can on it. She then said, "I am sorry for this Jonathan, I will go ahead and tag your account (again?!) explaining this isn't physical damage. That shouldn't be a problem for you!"

I celebrated. People gave me wierd looks. I asked her to marry me? haha. So I am calling my boy Lewis (at customer service) today at 3:30, when he gets in, and HOPEFULLY, getting my new phone shipped to me. Amy said if I have a problem to contact her, and she will fix it.

Hey Amy, I can't seem to get myself dressed...

Update later as it comes...
    02-23-09 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD