The first day, I was stumbling around on this phone, taking WAY longer to get things done than it did on my iPhone. The OS does lag a little, but I found some tweaks that really helped.

1. Options->Screen/Keyboard-> set key tone to OFF, set Key Rate to FAST. This will let the device register a click-thru keystroke just a little bit faster, which makes the typing experience just a little bit better.

2. Options->Screen/Keyboard->Touchscreen, set Tap Interval to 100, set Hover Period to 100, set Swipe Sensitivity to (High) 6. Again, setting the shortest tap interval allows the device to register screen taps just a little faster. Setting the Hover Period to a shorter time means that when you just touch the screen (rather than click it), the screen focus moves to under where your finger is touching faster. Again, this makes the OS seem like it's lagging less. And finally, setting a higher Swipe Sensitivity makes the device feel more responsive when you do a scroll, etc.

3. Do a good old fashioned battery pull. I don't know if it's a placebo or not, but after a battery pull, the device did seem to be a little quicker. Of course, if you remember to close apps after you've used them, that probably does 90% of what a battery pull does for you in terms of making the device seem quicker.

Hope this helps. It seems obvious to me that future OS updates will make the device much snappier as we move forward. I accept that as a cost of being bleeding edge. I have to say, the first few hours with the Storm, I was horrified..."What have I done? I waited in line in the cold for this?!"

But in just one short day, this thing has really grown on me. I'm finding little ways of doing the things I like to do on my PDA quicker. My personal Tweak-Hunt, if you will. I am now quite confident that I'll be able to zip around on my Storm just as quick as I did on my iPhone...just need to learn the device more. Plus, I can now MMS (thank you little baby jeebus!), cut and paste a daggone piece of info from an email, and STOP dropping calls!

Finally, for all you Curve regretters, and Bold wishers, here's my take:
    I could NEVER go back to that little screen! After day 1 with my iPhone, I was blown away by videos on that screen. Wow! But the annoyances of no MMS, cut/paste, etc., led me back to my BlackJack. That lasted 4 hours. I could NOT go back to that tiny screen! I watch a lot of videos and surf the net a lot on my PDA...I choke on smaller screens.

And one last little helpful morsel. I have my Windows computer set to record my favorite TV shows. I use a great shareware app called iPodifier to automatically convert these shows into mp4 format - compressed and DRM free!! - and it then puts the videos right into iTunes for me. Well...the good news is that the encoding/conversion for the iPhone in this scenario work *perfectly* for the Storm screen as well.

If you only use your phone for business emails, then you probably will like the Curve or Bold better. But if you like to use all of the functionality of a PDA phone, including videos and web browsing, then the Storm is the way to go.
    11-22-08 08:56 AM
    It is weird how a person "warms" up to this phone! The more you use it the more you like it, and get used to the operating system. Thanks for the post!
    11-22-08 09:01 AM
    THANKS for the post. I seriously want to tell all Storm haters to jump off a bridge!!! Give it TIME seriously lol!!! GREAT information!!
    11-22-08 09:04 AM
    Not unusal IMHO that folks will warm up to the nuances. I am staying put but excellent unemotional review. THANKS!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 09:09 AM
    Yeah, after using this thing for 24 hours, I can confidently say that I am really happy with my decision. The Storm takes a little getting used to buy once you get through the learning Curve, this device is excellent! Great job, RIM! Can't wait for the OTA update to make this thing even better!

11-22-08 09:10 AM
    Nice. Thanks! Very useful...
    11-22-08 09:13 AM
    Thx!! love tweaks...Helped out alot!
    11-22-08 09:29 AM
    This is what I have been saying. Give it some time before judging it. Most people (not coming from iphone) is a totally new process to go through. It's going to get some time to get used to and to start typing faster.
    11-22-08 09:34 AM
    Very nice, I am starting to love this phone as well. Most of the problems I've had have been my impatience and inexperience with a touch screen. Minor tweaks here and there help alot. thanks
    11-22-08 09:36 AM
    Tahnks. Ill giev it a tryy.

11-22-08 09:38 AM
    I love this phone, but I do miss one thing about my curve and that is keyboard shortcuts. Being able to pull anything up or dial any one of 26 speed dials with one key press was nice. That being said, I really don't see myself going back.

I LOVE the storm!

11-22-08 09:47 AM
    Being able to pull anything up or dial any one of 26 speed dials with one key press was nice.
    When in phone mode, press and hold the button of the speed dial you want. It will then dial with one touch.
    11-22-08 09:50 AM
    Thanks for the tips. I too am loving this phone much more than yesterday.
    11-22-08 09:52 AM
    And one last little helpful morsel. I have my Windows computer set to record my favorite TV shows. I use a great shareware app called iPodifier to automatically convert these shows into mp4 format - compressed and DRM free!! - and it then puts the videos right into iTunes for me. Well...the good news is that the encoding/conversion for the iPhone in this scenario work *perfectly* for the Storm screen as well.
    First off.....Fantastic post! I know this info will be so valuable to all Storm users, and people who are considering the Storm! Thank you for taking your time to write such an extensive review.

Second....How do you record TV shows on your computer? I would love to know how to do this to put them on my Curve.
    11-22-08 10:07 AM
    First off.....Fantastic post! I know this info will be so valuable to all Storm users, and people who are considering the Storm! Thank you for taking your time to write such an extensive review.

Second....How do you record TV shows on your computer? I would love to know how to do this to put them on my Curve.
    You probably need a TV tuner card and appropriate software for it. Once you have that, you should be able to record some TV and convert it with your favorite program.

11-22-08 10:23 AM
    You probably need a TV tuner card and appropriate software for it. Once you have that, you should be able to record some TV and convert it with your favorite program.

Thanks Nick! I will have to look into this.
    11-22-08 10:27 AM
    Yea dude, good post. I had done this within minutes of getting my Storm (after I unlocked it) and it makes the functionality of the phone more "iPhone-ish". Ugghh, I'm disgusted I had to say that! Just kidding.

But seriously, I FLY on the keyboard since I did that when I first got it. I can almost type as fast as on the Bold and the scrolling is INSANE!!!

I love the phone...and honestly, I can't wait until the new os & App store roll out. Then we'll see some of the haters drinking haterade get on board I bet.
    11-22-08 10:28 AM
    wow! Thanks for the tips. This is making the phone more enjoyable
    11-22-08 10:33 AM
    I am still getting used to the browser. But I never and still don't have regrets about getting my storm. This is my first post on it. I type almost as fast on it as I did my curve. I love my phone and it was worth standing in line to be one of the first to have it in the US. Thanks for the tips.

11-22-08 11:16 AM

I have windows media edition on my desktop computer, and 2 TV tuner cards. The windows OS has software for me to select my shows. Very Tivo.

Then iPodifier converts the videos, and puts them into iTunes.

In the morning I sync my device, and then I get to walk around all day with a portable Tivo machine!

11-22-08 12:04 PM
    I have my Windows computer set to record my favorite TV shows. I use a great shareware app called iPodifier to automatically convert these shows into mp4 format - compressed and DRM free!! - and it then puts the videos right into iTunes for me. Well...the good news is that the encoding/conversion for the iPhone in this scenario work *perfectly* for the Storm screen as well.
    Oh Please share how you record shows on your PC. I need to know this.
    11-22-08 12:12 PM
    The first day, I was stumbling around on this phone, taking WAY longer to get things done than it did on my iPhone. The OS does lag a little, but I found some tweaks that really helped.

1. Options->Screen/Keyboard-> set key tone to OFF, set Key Rate to FAST. This will let the device register a click-thru keystroke just a little bit faster, which makes the typing experience just a little bit better.
    I went back into Screen/Keyboard to check my settings and found the fix for what I thought was a bug - the camera starting when I typed letters to the far right! I don't care why that is the default setting just glad your tips caused me to explore further.

Thanks for the tips!
    11-22-08 12:14 PM
    I am really warming up to mines also. Was a lil upset at first but I am doing much better now. Once we get some updates rolling, this will be a badass unit.
    11-22-08 12:21 PM
    FANTASTIC POST... thanks... I (and others) have been looking for this information... did you find it in a manual or forum somewhere or just trial and error?
    11-22-08 12:54 PM
    I got my phone yesterday during store opening, and only got to play with it for maybe 20 minutes out of the day. I definitely liked it, but I won't say I LOVED it.

I woke up at 9am and the phone has YET to leave my hands at 2pm. I've been texting and emailing all day long on this thing. I officially LOVE this phone.
    11-22-08 01:14 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD