Is it just me or would it be cool to have an app that would turn on the camera flash to be used as a flash light. The flash is really bright and seems kinda like a waste of a good light.

I had a cheap little Nokia cell overseas that had a LED light and it was great. It would be cool to put it on one of the side buttons for easy use. Maybe even make it dimmable. Maybe there would be a heat issue if it's left on too much, but being able to dim it would keep it from over heating.
    12-27-08 09:28 AM
    There are a few applications that give your phone a flashlight option, I'm not sure if they use the flash, the LED, or what though. Have you checked them out?
    12-27-08 09:53 AM
    I am very interested in this myself. The other forums have apps that turn different stuff on but I am looking for something created for the Storm in particular that uses the camera LED and that only.
    12-27-08 10:01 AM

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...lution-118095/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-27-08 at 10:49 AM. Reason: CrackBerry Forums' New Year's Resolution!
    12-27-08 10:21 AM

you can use your flash as a flashlight without any added programs
    videocamera>options>videolight>on>save
    whenever u need a flashlight just turn your video camera on and the flash will be on and stay on....beware it drains your battery
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-27-08 at 10:53 AM. Reason: CrackBerry Forums' New Year's Resolution!
    12-27-08 10:29 AM

oh and i will be watching your cowboys choke away any chance of a playoff game tommorow LMFAO
    aaagh how sweet it is
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-27-08 at 10:53 AM. Reason: CrackBerry Forums' New Year's Resolution!
    12-27-08 10:31 AM
    This really isn't possible at this time.

RIM doesn't allow direct control of the flash through their API, so there's no way for a developer to write an app to just turn on the flash and leave it on.

Kinda sucks, but until they put that into the API, there's no real easy way of making that happen.
    12-27-08 10:47 AM
    This really isn't possible at this time.

RIM doesn't allow direct control of the flash through their API, so there's no way for a developer to write an app to just turn on the flash and leave it on.

Kinda sucks, but until they put that into the API, there's no real easy way of making that happen.
    is that so? cant control the flash huh? curious how i managed to do it then
    12-27-08 11:52 AM
    I'm not talking about the flash options in the camera app, I'm talking about when developing a program.

In the BB API, there is no function call that you can make to turn on the Flash. So you cannot create an application from scratch that turns on the flash.
    12-27-08 02:26 PM
    I'm not talking about the flash options in the camera app, I'm talking about when developing a program.

In the BB API, there is no function call that you can make to turn on the Flash. So you cannot create an application from scratch that turns on the flash.
    Wonder if key stroke injection would work... I don't want the flash on by default but mmmm.
    01-03-09 06:50 AM

I do hope RIM realizes they should add this to the API; with a bright light on a programmable device we carry in our pockets, this can be more than a flashlight. (And just a flashlight feature would be useful!)
    01-03-09 01:33 PM
    i changed the battery in my truck while having a friend keep snapping pictures so i could see what i was doing
    01-03-09 02:07 PM
    I just turn on the video light if I need a bright light, otherwise just the screen illumination can be enough for me...
    01-03-09 06:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD