Looking at the Verizon Storm booklet that comes with it, possible wireless network coverage indicators are as follows:

3G
    1XEV EDGE
    1X GRPS
    1X D GSM
    SOS
    OFF
    X

I, so far, have always been at 1XEV. Now I remember reading on the forum (can't find where) that 1XEV is actually 3G. Is this correct? If not, why doesn't my phone ever show 3G? Why does Verizon show these different levels of indicators if they are not true?
    01-21-09 10:40 AM
    I was wondering the same thing. I live in a smaller town so I know I won't have 3g. But I went to Toronto for the day I figured I'd try out the wickedness of 3g I couldn't get it to work to I went to a bell store and they told me it 1X EV was the bell equivalent of 3G. I'm not sure but I think its for if your on a gsm network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 10:52 AM
    Yes 1XEV is Verizon's 3G since Verizon is on CDMA tech. it will show the 1XEV and when you are on a GSM tech ( ex: t-mobile) it will show 3G. So as long at you have 1 (big) XEV you are GOOD!
    01-21-09 10:55 AM
    Looking at the Verizon Storm booklet that comes with it, possible wireless network coverage indicators are as follows:

3G
    1XEV EDGE
    1X GRPS
    1X D GSM
    SOS
    OFF
    X

I, so far, have always been at 1XEV. Now I remember reading on the forum (can't find where) that 1XEV is actually 3G. Is this correct? If not, why doesn't my phone ever show 3G? Why does Verizon show these different levels of indicators if they are not true?
    1XEV is CDMA 3G
    3G is on GSM networks

CDMA (verizon) does not have simultaneous Data and Voice at this time whereas GSM does.
    01-21-09 10:56 AM
    3G is if you are on a GSM network
    1XEV is if you are on a CDMA network

BOTH are "3G" and this maybe about the 100th time this has been asked
    01-21-09 10:56 AM
    Thanks for the quick responses.
    01-21-09 12:55 PM
    3G is short for 3rd generation mobile network. It simply indicates high(er) speed mobile networks and doesn't specify the underlying technology.

Verizon has an EV-DO network. Their 3rd generation (3G) high-speed network is what you're using with the Storm.

Europe has always been using GSM networks. The 3rd iteration (3G) GSM network is called UMTS, which is a different technology for reaching the same goal (high-speed mobile data transfers). GSM is also the technology AT&T and T-Mobile are now using.

So 3G really just means your phone uses a high-speed network. If you want to differentiate between technologies, you have to look at EV-DO vs. UMTS

peter
    01-21-09 01:04 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. I TOO was reading the booklet and what I dont understand is if the phone is never going to show a "3G" symbol why do they mention it in the book. I was looking forward to using the browser and phone simultaneously. BUT what I DONT agree on is for people to say 1XEV = 3G. According to the book 1XEV doesnt allow simultaneous use of both phone and data. True there may be a switch in terminology, and its using the 3G network to process data. Yet "3G" for Verizon, according to the book, says you can use the phone and browser simultaneously.
    02-05-09 06:38 PM
    Okay, I am NOT a Storm user, but this thread has piqued a question...

The indicator in the manual says "1XEV EDGE". My phone indicator shows "1XEV". What is the "EDGE" and is it significant?
    08-06-09 09:36 PM
    Okay, I am NOT a Storm user, but this thread has piqued a question...

The indicator in the manual says "1XEV EDGE". My phone indicator shows "1XEV". What is the "EDGE" and is it significant?
    EDGE is for GSM networks only. If you are running your Tour on VZW only you will never see EDGE.
    08-06-09 10:25 PM
    . What is the "EDGE" and is it significant?
    Only on the GSM networks. Is is significant.
    08-06-09 10:33 PM
    Okay that clarifies. My BB is set to "automatic" network selection and "global" technology. It grabs Verizon 1XEV (CDMA). If I force it to GSM/UMTS it finds AT&T, which is not my provider. :-)
    08-07-09 08:49 AM
    On Verizon you will see 1XEV which is 3G with a connection to RIM (which means you can do data), 1xev which means 3G but no connection to RIM so no data except SMS or MMS, but calls are ok, or 1X which is like 2.5G (enhanced 2G) with connection to RIM (data works), or 1x, 2.5G no connection to RIM, no data. The other stuff (except the no signal stuff) you will only see if you are travelling to europe, OR if you unlock your Storm and use it on a US GSM network. Please note thou, the Storm does NOT have the US 3G radios so EDGE (2.5G) is the best you can do on ATT or Tmo.
    08-07-09 09:00 AM
    On Verizon you will see 1XEV which is 3G with a connection to RIM (which means you can do data), 1xev which means 3G but no connection to RIM so no data except SMS or MMS, but calls are ok,
    Why would connection be "1xev" (lower case) with no connection to RIM, what's the cause, and more importantly, what's the fix? My phone has been in "1xev" since last night. Is this require a reboot or what to get the RIM connectivity back?
    08-09-09 07:31 AM
    Why would connection be "1xev" (lower case) with no connection to RIM, what's the cause, and more importantly, what's the fix? My phone has been in "1xev" since last night. Is this require a reboot or what to get the RIM connectivity back?
    Try a battery pull, should solve your problem.
    08-09-09 08:48 AM
    Try a battery pull, should solve your problem.
    I was hoping there was something more "stylish" than the reboot your device approach. I didn't find anything, guess it's a lot like Windows - if it doesn't work right, reboot
    08-09-09 11:18 AM
    I was hoping there was something more "stylish" than the reboot your device approach. I didn't find anything, guess it's a lot like Windows - if it doesn't work right, reboot
    Or try turning the "Mobile Network" off then on again from "Manage Connections".

Re: 3G vs. 1XEV: 1X-EV is the 3G technology used by CDMA providers. UMTS/HSDPA is the 3G technology used by GSM providers. So to be consistent, the tags should have been been "1X-EV" and "UMTS/HSDPA". But GSM is the big fish in the wireless pond, so they simply use "3G" to refer to their particular version of 3G, since, from their perspective, nothing else is worth mentioning.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 08-09-09 at 03:32 PM.
    08-09-09 03:20 PM
    Or try turning the "Mobile Network" off then on again from "Manage Connections".
    Tried that, made no difference. Strange that it lost the data connectivity and wasn't able to recover.
    08-12-09 03:03 PM
    You will only be able to get true 3G for GSM in Europe. I'm not sure if PK mentioned it since there was a lot of info in his post.
    08-12-09 03:09 PM
    I'm running .167 on an unlocked Vodafone storm on Fido..I got it in January and it as been running great..a few weeks ago I installed .151 and for some reason
    my network connection started to read Rogers wireless..since then I've wiped my device and installed .164 and now .167 but haven't gotten my connection back to Fido.
    I trued connecting manually but Fido does not show up..I called Fido and they said they can't do anything cause its an unlocked phone but they said I am not getting charged any extra.
    Since I got my storm I have never got a better connection then EDGE..is this because fido doesn't have 3g or can I get 3g�also does anyone know
    how I can get my storm to connect to Fido and not Rogers.

08-12-09 03:37 PM
    I'm running .167 on an unlocked Vodafone storm on Fido..I got it in January and it as been running great..a few weeks ago I installed .151 and for some reason
    my network connection started to read Rogers wireless..since then I've wiped my device and installed .164 and now .167 but haven't gotten my connection back to Fido.
    I trued connecting manually but Fido does not show up..I called Fido and they said they can't do anything cause its an unlocked phone but they said I am not getting charged any extra.
    Since I got my storm I have never got a better connection then EDGE..is this because fido doesn't have 3g or can I get 3g�also does anyone know
    how I can get my storm to connect to Fido and not Rogers.

I'm not sure about getting your connections right, however you will only be able to receive EDGE here in the states/canada. To get the full 3G you have to go to Europe.
    08-12-09 05:41 PM
    Ill have to take a trip to Europe then..thanks for the help
    08-12-09 07:41 PM
    Ill have to take a trip to Europe then..thanks for the help
    Lol ......
    08-12-09 08:14 PM
    EDGE just stands for enhanched data for gsm evoluition
    01-08-10 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD