Ok, I just wasted all day loading the 5.0 beta, finding that it caused error messages for the apps I used most frequently (Pandora, Quick Pull Free, Funambol and App World), and then trying to pick up the pieces after the downgrade nearly destroyed my phone. I have lost all of my apps, all of my saved files (this despite a number of saved backups--they are apparently useless because I had to upload a new OS and it does not recognize the old backups. I had a saved previous OS but BM would not allow me to load it.) I am still not back to where I started and it will probably be a week or more before I will be fixed. I will be spending money buying a few apps and a lot of time getting my phone back to where it was.

I know some people are loving it, but I found:
    1. A LOT of error messages with Apps
    2. A loss of basic useful basic theme items, like the folder icons in zen.
    3. No increase in speed of internet or text

I really can't recommend it and if you try it and don't like it the undoing of your work could turn out to be epic! I will definitely be waiting until the official release is out and well tested. You might really think how much time and money you have to throw away before trying the beta!
    09-27-09 09:10 PM
    I must concur with mudpiegirl. As much as I wanted it to work, it threw errors on several apps and after fighting it for a day I went back to previous OS. I didn't have the problems she had going back to the older OS but it cost the better part of a day and aggravation I didn't need. With this beta and two previous failures with other carriers OS upgrades, I get the feeling the Verizon 8230 doesn't want any other OS than the ones that Verizon puts out to the masses. Just my two cents.
    09-27-09 11:13 PM
    Did you not back up everything? After all, it is highly recommended that you back up everything before attempting any OS upgrade. I am running 5.0 with no problems. facebook, Appworld, myspace, themes, all work flawlessly now with 5.0 (.230)
    09-27-09 11:36 PM
    Certains apps just dont work with 5.0 yet. Appworld being one of them. I know FB and the instant messengers have been updated for use with the 5.0 OS.
    09-28-09 09:17 AM
    AppWorld works with .230 on my storm you can download it directly from RIM. The standard version 1.1.0.15

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-09 10:03 AM
    Blackberry App World didn't work for me either. First of all, it wasn't a link at mobile.blackberry.com so I had to get it from blackberry.com/appworld/download. But now I am having issues connecting to the App World Server. It is very similar to the problems that occurred with App World was first released.

I was able to get into App World long enough to get to My Apps, which showed all my apps from b4 the upgrade as "Installed". This was a nice surprise because with the 4.6 upgrades all the apps went to "Archived" for me.
    Last edited by smoothballer; 09-28-09 at 12:27 PM.
    09-28-09 10:21 AM
    Oh no!! I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you! I had to allow everything in my apps so I went to the applications and noticed alot of them were set to custom so I just sent them to allow and that seemed to do it! As for app world it says it can't connect to the server. Overall I like it ok. I can deal with the not seeing a picture of the person texting me. It does show me when I get an email or when someone calls me on the external screen with a picture. I just can't risk downgrading my phone and bricking it.
    09-28-09 12:22 PM
    Are any upgraders having problems with Viigo? The version of Viigo that was maintained through the upgrade fails. It actually freezes the whole BB after clicking the icon.

Since I App World won't connect to the server, I was forced to download from getviigo.com. I went to the Blackberry Flip -> 5.0 download and it said that it didn't exist. So I tried to install the Blackberry Flip -> 4.6 one again and it once again freezes the BB.

Anyone get this working? I gotta have my Viigo.
    09-28-09 01:00 PM
    Note to SF1... I did back up everything. Twice, on 2 different computers. I am a very cautious girl. BM would not recognize my phone as the same phone that had the backups.... and for some reason one of the two backups had an error. Backups do not ensure that you can turn back time.

To Saichick04-- that was the same error message on AppWorld I was getting. I tried reloading but no luck. Not that I really like AppWorld but I had archived some apps there that had disappeared so I was hoping I could get them back more easily. I think Bewitched is right and it is not updated. Probably RIM will wait until the official release to update...

To Smoothballer...if you check the beta/hybrid forum thread on 5.0 you will notice that a lot of people are having no luck with Viigo. Sorry. Maybe another update problem?

This has been a definite learning experience but I hope never to repeat it!
    09-28-09 06:15 PM
    I've decided to downgrade. The little things are missing. Could you show me where I could find the latest official OS so I can go back to it? Thanks!

09-29-09 12:07 AM
    I've got the white screen on death.. great.
    09-29-09 12:45 AM
    HOLY CRAP!! Ok so I got a fatal error message when I tried to downgrade my phone followed by the white screen and timer of death. After 10 mins of just the white screen I noticed I was disconnected from my DM. I bricked my berry right?! CRAP! So I unplugged it and did a battery pull. Put it back in same white screen but then the little analog clock shows up! WHAT!! My berry isn't bricked?! Yes all my apps and contacts are gone but my phone WORKS! THANK GOD! I will never try this crap again! Lesson learned. I was all prepared to wipe and start from scratch using the How to Recover a Dead Blackberry. I just sent a SMS as a tester. I know it's late but hey I needed to see. Wow.. I'm one lucky chick. Now.. I just hope the backup I have will work.
    09-29-09 01:07 AM
    Aren't problems to be expected with beta? isn't that why they are not official yet? Half the fun is seeing if it works for you or not. I bricked my berry twice just today. It was fun, and I'm right back where I started.
    09-29-09 02:55 AM
    Yes that is expected. Its just all the others I've tried on my storm worked fine. But if you like bricking and fixing your bb that's all good. Me? I like mine to work.

09-29-09 06:35 PM
    I had similar experiences. Viigo froze the phone, several games didn't work, the media player would only play one song and then go silent, etc. I did like the threaded SMS and the updated bedside mode of the clock that would allow the profile to be switched based on the time and being on charge. I'm looking forward to seeing the final version of this OS, but until then, it's back to 4.6.1 for me.

09-29-09 10:49 PM
    Wow. Wish this forum was posted in the Crackberry forum that was published in the Blog.

These comments are sorely needed for anybody attempting to use the Beta. Glad I searched for another thread!
    10-07-09 01:16 PM
    Wow. Wish this forum was posted in the Crackberry forum that was published in the Blog.

These comments are sorely needed for anybody attempting to use the Beta. Glad I searched for another thread!
    10-07-09 01:24 PM
    I wonder, given so many of these apps have been appropriately adapted now for 5.0, if this OS will actually be problematic still....
    02-08-10 03:49 PM
    Where did you find 5.0 for 8220? Linky please
    02-09-10 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD