A lot of users complain of memory loss, I would be keen to know what peoples idea of aceeptable mem loss is??

Correct me if I am wrong but you cant reboot your device and have 40mb free and then have the same 24 hours later can you??

So some mem loss is the norm, but what is acceptable, or do people not care as long as it does not drop past x amount.
    09-18-08 03:19 AM
    I think this will be an intresting thread ...

Mem start: 40MB
    Mem now: 24MB - approx 18 hours later

Apps installed:

Worldmate
    Google Talk
    Windlows Live Messenger
    VibAndRing
    Gmail App
    Google Launcher
    AmazeGPS

I have also removed VAD and 1 of the themes ...

Didnt install, Help, Password keeper, BB maps ...
    Last edited by laurent08; 09-18-08 at 03:52 AM.
    09-18-08 03:44 AM
    Good question as i am wondering this to. My Bold STARTS with 28 mbs of memory free. Never 40mb as some people have said here.
    09-18-08 05:54 AM
    28 is abit to low to start, I would say thats what it should level out at

What apps have you installed??
    09-18-08 05:58 AM
    I am currently at 42MB free on Curve. Tried and removed most Apps but kept Google Maps ver 2.3.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 05:59 AM
    28 is abit to low to start, I would say thats what it should level out at

What apps have you installed??
    Just facebook, msn (not usally running) and google maps. Plus everything else that came installed on it.
    Last edited by clone7; 09-18-08 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added more apps
    09-18-08 10:26 AM
    Just facebook, msn (not usally running) and google maps. Plus everything else that came installed on it.
    I don't have a bold but it sounds like you got a serious amount of stuff preloaded. Correct me if I'm wrong but the bold comes with more internal memory than the 8330 right? And I have about just under 40MB free after a reboot and a week later with no reboots it is down to about 30MB. And I have the following installed:

Autostandby
    Beyond411
    Olive tree bible reader + two bible versions
    BB maps
    Brickbreaker
    3 custom themes
    3 standard BB themes
    1 carrier theme
    Docs to go
    Google maps
    Myboxtoneinsight
    Splash money
    Sprint navigation
    Sprint tv
    Viigo
    Windows live messenger

And all the apps that come with the 4.5 OS.

09-21-08 04:03 AM
    Whoa! 40MB free on a Curve? I have deleted VAD, extra languages etc as in the memory optimisation thread through MaxMem but still my maximum is 24MB.

I only run FB, Viigo, Jivetalk (never running in the background) and MiniMonitor. How is 40MB possible?

09-21-08 04:22 AM
    Sorry guys just realised this is in the Bold thread. Unintended hijack, oops.

09-21-08 04:23 AM
    i have the same problem that Clone7 has i only have 22mbs of free memory and i only google maps on mine, plus everything what was already on the bold.
    09-21-08 05:07 AM
    Have you followed the how to free up file free memory guide on the forum ? Deleted unwanted languages etc ?

09-21-08 06:38 AM
    Kool.

I'l try it now
    09-21-08 08:38 AM
    A lot of users complain of memory loss, I would be keen to know what peoples idea of aceeptable mem loss is??

Correct me if I am wrong but you cant reboot your device and have 40mb free and then have the same 24 hours later can you??

So some mem loss is the norm, but what is acceptable, or do people not care as long as it does not drop past x amount.
    In a 'pure programming' world like a PC the acceptable memory leakage is ZERO. That's the loss allowed for applications.

Coming from the PC programming world I would expect an app to grab memory when it loads, and maybe increase to accommodate extra data during execution - but the important thing is that after the app is closed *all* the allocated memory has been returned to Free Pool and is available again for use by another app. If the free memory does not go back to what it was before the app was started - that's a memory leak, and that's a bug.

However with a BB you have to make allowance for the storage of additional message traffic within the device memory (doesn't happen on a PC), so if you are doing messaging and email the free memory should reduce at (about) the same rate as extra messages are stored. Browser caching should also have some impact which is not so easy to quantify. I suppose we should discriminate these as 'usage' rather than leakage.

The reports in current Bold threads generally seem to mention a much higher rate of memory loss - more like leaks in one or more programs because I can't imagine users getting around 10Mbytes of messaging in a few hours without noticing.
    09-21-08 01:41 PM
    at reboot i start with around 60, now 36 hours later i have 44.6
    i have maps, facebook, wlm, wigo , crackberry launcher and Opera mini installed
    09-21-08 01:54 PM
    It's acceptable if your device does not slow down significantly over use (kind of like a windows box :P) AND your device does not run out of memory to the extent it has to delete your messages/emails/call records/ect....

Otherwise, just do a re-boot if you need more memory. I trust that the memory allocation will be more efficient in future OS releases, but it is not worth checking it every minute and freaking out about it unless either of the two conditions above occur (I sound like such a geeek here :P)
    09-21-08 02:02 PM
    After the recent battery pull I have 45.3 MB of App Memory (I think I've had over 50MB at other times??) and it seems to slowly decrease as the day progresses.. Only noticebale impact is a slight lag but nothing major.

It is more annoying than anything else.

Running:
    - Facebook
    - GoogleTalk
    - GoogleMaps
    - Opera Mini
    - Twitterberry
    - Viigo
    10-07-08 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD