Not quite sure how to explain it, but when I push down on the trackball there is no resistance or return pressure forcing the ball back up to the resting position. Does that make sense?

The track ball still works, but it doesn't bounce back up?

I have tried alcohol and air....no luck. On a properly functioning trackball it feels like there is a spring under the trackball that returns it, mine no longer has that feel.

Any advice?

How long is the RIM warranty? How does one go about getting warranty work done?

I also have insurance from ATT, but I suppose you have to pay the deductible, even for such a small repair - where they will likely just swap it out for a refurb model?
    03-06-09 01:00 PM
    How long ago did you purchase your bold? Might still be covered under warranty, in which case you don't have to do insurance.
    03-06-09 01:08 PM
    Got the bold in December. How long is warranty?

What is the warranty process?
    03-06-09 01:29 PM
    One year. Bring it back.
    03-06-09 03:17 PM
    there's a membrane under the trackball which acts like a button, sounds like it's ruptured (or the underlying button is toast).

warranty ftw.
    03-06-09 03:35 PM
    Does anyone know if this membrane is replaceable? I have a Curve doing the same thing. Have to press really hard and it might work. Using the enter key now. It's an older unit so there is no warranty. Please advise......
    03-12-09 10:55 PM
    It's not replaceable.
    03-12-09 11:10 PM
    Isaac - thanks for your quick response. Guess this will be just a spare phone
    03-12-09 11:14 PM
    Find a way to buy a new board... =/ Sucks to hear that.
    03-12-09 11:17 PM
    I just about gave up "playing" with this phone but decided I'd give it one more shot. It has been really abused and obviously dropped a few times. The trackball would not click at times, as mentioned above. Or if you really pressed hard in a certain angle, it would work. Being advised that it was a membrane but worked at times, I thought maybe cleaning that area might help. Someone had put small pieces of blue tape over the membrane to give it more height, I guess. After cleaning the board with alcohol, I removed the tape and the membrane came off with it. Upon close inspection under a magnifying glass, it's actually a very small spring metal cup attached to a square cut thin film that is used to glue it to the main board. After thoroughly cleaning everything, I used super glue (using a toothpick to apply) to reattach the edges of the film to the board. Now it works like it should! Apparently the cup came loose and shifted so would make contact intermittently. I'm one happy camper now
    Last edited by shfjcs; 03-13-09 at 06:36 PM.
    03-13-09 06:30 PM
    Ooops, sorry, but I just realized that I'm posting in the 9000 section and I have a 8320. I found this by doing a search - sorry. How do I repost this in the general discussion section?
    03-13-09 06:48 PM
    there's a membrane under the trackball which acts like a button, sounds like it's ruptured (or the underlying button is toast).

warranty ftw.
    You are correct. I had ordered a new ball assembly before you replied, so I went ahead and tried replacing the ball today....no dice. Now it is a clean ball that doesnt click. So, I pulled the new ball out and put the original one back in.

Don't bother trying to replace the ball, if you have the non-click problem.

FWIW, taking the Bold apart was very easy. I followed the CN video. Much easier than I though it would be.
    03-16-09 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD