I'm having terrible receiption on my Bold in the new york city area.. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm getting 1-3 bars only outside under the clear blue sky...
    The bars keep jumping up and down every few seconds even if I'm standing still..

Its been like this for 2 days I thought it was the OS but I just updated to 266 yesterday and its still like this..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 02:46 PM
    Welcome to my world and I am sure many others peoples as well. You should go to brooklyn, reception there is better than in other places around the city.
    04-24-09 03:07 PM
    Get yourself out into a clear area over the weekend and see if it improves. What you're describing could simply be blocking by buildings, and a network running near to capacity on a busy Friday. OTOH it could be a sign of a problem with your phone.
    04-24-09 03:14 PM
    I get great reception and full bars 95% of the time in NYC and Westchester
    04-24-09 03:23 PM
    I get great reception and full bars 95% of the time in NYC and Westchester
    +1 add Long Island to that list
    04-24-09 03:30 PM
    I always have incredible reception in NYC. NY in general for me has great service.
    04-24-09 03:43 PM
    Get yourself out into a clear area over the weekend and see if it improves. What you're describing could simply be blocking by buildings, and a network running near to capacity on a busy Friday. OTOH it could be a sign of a problem with your phone.
    I'm usually around the same areas.. Usually I get great reception.. But just these past 2 days I've been getting terrible service..

04-24-09 04:27 PM
    Keep the reports coming guys. Anything to help the sufferers decide if they have bad service or broken phone.
    04-24-09 04:30 PM
    I'm usually around the same areas.. Usually I get great reception.. But just these past 2 days I've been getting terrible service..

maybe ATT has had tower issues in that area that you've been in for the past 2 days ..doesnt hurt to call them and ask
    04-24-09 05:44 PM
    I live in the Washington Heights area and get great reception. At Columbia, it works fine...
    I'm working in the Times Square area and even in the 17th floor of a building, my coverage does vary and change sporatically. At one point, I even had EDGE opposed to 3G!
    When I had my Curve, I dialed 611 and it called the T-Mobile call center! The person told me that there are T-Mobile towers in that area and that AT&T is borrowing them or something...
    04-24-09 06:13 PM
    im in the queens area and its actually pretty good. i hear theres black holes on some parts of northern blvd.

you should check Signal Map - Find the best cell phone coverage in your area, or add your own cell phone signal to the map.
    04-24-09 06:16 PM
    Att just added about 75 towers in the Ny metro area they are trying to improve especially with the saturation of iphones in New York.They are still behind verizon but getting better.

04-24-09 06:50 PM
    I've heard both. Great signal in NYC and lousy signal. Guess it depends where you are. I love the Bold but I do miss Verizon's coverage. I almost never had a dropped call with them.
    04-24-09 08:55 PM
    I have no issues. If you're in the city it might be the 1900mhz 3G
    04-25-09 11:04 AM
    I live in the Washington Heights area and get great reception. At Columbia, it works fine...
    I'm working in the Times Square area and even in the 17th floor of a building, my coverage does vary and change sporatically. At one point, I even had EDGE opposed to 3G!
    When I had my Curve, I dialed 611 and it called the T-Mobile call center! The person told me that there are T-Mobile towers in that area and that AT&T is borrowing them or something...

I live in washington heights and work at Columbia as well. I have verizon right now. Hospital wide, we're all on VZW blackberries and regular phones so a lot of colleages tell me to stick with verizon because there will be building improvements given NYPH's dedication to Verizon on a corporate level.

However, my personal gripe with verizon has more to do with locking of features like wifi and GPS. Also, CDMA doesn't do data/voice like GSM and that's an issue for me as well as better coverage with GSM globally.

If I switch this coming december to AT&T, I need to know that it will be on par with Verizon. Now... with my experience, Verizon isn't without flaws in the reception area. But since I have nothing to compare to, I wouldn't be able to tell what is acceptable or not. But if someone can vouch for ATT, at least I can have something to go by.

And since you travel to midtown accrding to your posting, you'd probably be in a better position to give me an overall impression of AT&T in NYC in general. Thanks. BYW, do you work for Columbia?
    04-25-09 01:15 PM
    +1 add Long Island to that list
    What are you hooked up to...a satellite dish?? My reception on Long Island (Garden City, Roslyn, Manhasset, Southampton, Westhampton) is horrible! Call fails, no rings-straight to voice mail, call drops. I think the network is overtaxed due to iPhone usage on the Island. Its the 12-20 yr olds sending texts, music, MMS every 2 seconds!
    The only way I get halfway decent reception is if I drop to 2G. Running .266
    Westchester (Croton on Hudson) is even worse!
    04-25-09 01:42 PM
    My reception has been atrocious for the past few days too. I'm running on EDGE around the 44th and 5th Avenue area, and in Bronxville and Purchase (Westchester) my service isn't even working, it's showing the 3g(little "g") with call failures all the time...
    04-30-09 12:11 PM
    I have had no problems with my service at all. I have been all over the city and everything seems to be fine.

I am currently on the 14th floor on 47th and 5th, and have full service 3G.

My roommate was having issues with his Bold a couple days ago. Was getting NO SERVICE while walking down the street. He took it back and got a new one, and has had no problems since. I am going to have to guess that its your phone that is causing the problem and not ATT.

Good luck
    04-30-09 12:28 PM
    I'm froam boston and was In NYC over the weekend. I had full bar and 3G displayed and whe I tried to call out, it would show " call failed". Also there would be no data service. Mind you this was in Central Park, top of Empire State building and just walking down the street. Called Customer Service yesterday and they said they had towers down over the weekend, but everything is back up as of yesterday. Probably doesn't help this much but thoght that I'd post it anyways... Reception in Boston is great!!

04-30-09 12:58 PM
    04-30-09 01:40 PM
    Westchester (Croton on Hudson) is even worse!
    No way. I live in Putnam and I have full service everywhere. Same goes for Westchester. I am there every day. I even get good reception upstate. It might be your phone.

I have also never had any problems with reception in Long Island. Even when I'm fishing in the Sound.
    04-30-09 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD