Greetings CrackBerry Nation! Kevin has told me many fine things about you, your productivity, your build quality, and your ability to enter text faster than Einsteinian physics would suggest possible.

I'm the opposite of that. An iPhone user. A gadget "toy" owner. And now -- horror of horrors -- I need to learn to use Kevin's beloved BlackBerry Bold in just a week.

Worst things first:

I've just finished 2 weeks with Windows Mobile so please don't tell me I have to tweak a ton of settings before the device is usable?

I'm on Rogers with the 30GB + MyFave Canada and $15 iPhone value pack. Can I just pop my SIM into the Bold and start typing? Talking? Texting?

Also, I think the touchscreen might be broken... any way to fix?

(What? No touchscreen? None? Okay, now I'll *really* need your help!)

[Note: this is an official Round Robin thread. Every day you post here -- or any Round Robin feature -- you're entered for another chance to win a BlackBerry Bold and accessories! See http://smartphoneroundrobin.com/ for details]
    12-11-08 03:09 PM
    Welcome to CB Rene.

I do believe you should be able to simply insert the SIM card as long as the device is unlocked to begin making and receiving calls. Which in your case, I am sure it's already unlocked for the Round Robin.

I'm not much of an expert when it comes to switching devices since I've only ever had one BB. But I do believe you will need a BlackBerry data plan for the device in order to send and receive data.
    Last edited by sunkast; 12-11-08 at 03:48 PM.
    12-11-08 03:46 PM
    Sunkast is correct, you need BlackBerry data adding to your cellular service. Until this is added you have a very pretty voice phone, but limited data function without all the smartphone things like push email. Time to test Rogers Customer Service

When you get the data plan fixed go to the the Rogers BIS website, create your account and and tell it the phone's details. Then configure your email info and make sure you resend the Service Books. Now you should be able to access all the features. (You can also do all of this from the Bold's setup icon, but its so much easier on a 17" screen)

Oh, Touchscreen - look very closely at the lower half of the device, just below the picture thing. Does it have lots of little black buttons with writing on them, and a little white ball that lights-up? That's a 'keyboard' and a 'trackball' and they are what make the Bold so much better and easier to use than some of its competitors. If you got a touchscreen you need to have a firm word with Kevin... he was supposed to send you his beloved Bold, not the Storm or a beat-up old iPhone he found on ebay.
    12-11-08 05:19 PM
    This is untrue... you are able to get data with the iPhone plan, but you will be limited. You will not be able to use any app that uses BB data. This means no push service, no blackberry messenger and other 3rd party apps that use the BB data and not just data in general.

The Gmail app works w/o the data plan, no push

I have done this as I've had and still have BBs and iPhones.
    12-11-08 08:15 PM
    D'oh! It would be just like Kevin to send me the Storm instead! Or the HTC FUZE right back!

Okay, so just for fun I'll test it with no-Noc data, then I'll try to set up BIS. My account is through my company, so we'll see what kind of hysterics they go into with me trying to swap it in and out for a week

Next up: Is there enough built in functionality for me to set alarms to wake me up in the morning? Or do I need to hit the CrackBerry App Store?

Also, what's the best way to listen to the next CrackBerry Podcast on the Bold? Can I hit the MP3 direct link via the web browser, or do I need to get the iTunes Sync going?

Bonus points if I can listen to the CrackCast and have the Bold automatically shut it down after 20 minutes at night (when I've likely fallen asleep).

Back tomorrow with -- more than likely -- a ton more questions!
    12-11-08 08:39 PM
    In the clock app you can set your alarm to wake you up (it is in the menu of clock app) and if you go into settings, options there is auto on/off settings.

If you go into the phone log (click on green call button) and go in the menu and select options, then general options and turn Dial from Home Screen to NO you can just hit the 'O' to go to the options.
    12-11-08 11:31 PM
    Think yourself lucky you didn't get the Etch-a-Sketch

I was in too much of a rush with work to give you the full plot about data. As Jayden says, you should be able to get some data working immediately. If you don't have the BB data plan yet you can install and use Opera-mini until you get your service fully enabled. This won't give you the full experience with data-enabled applications but at least you get websites while mobile.

If you are within range of a WiFi point you can also connect via your ISP for most data without hitting your cellular airtime allowance.

Setting up the alarm is easy. Get the clock on screen, and just click the trackball to open the alarm times. Roll to select and adjust, then click again. If you're lucky Kevin will have left the default which is to display Clock when the charger is connected so you get an automatic reminder to check the alarm as soon as you plug in to charge overnight. (Also go into Clock menu/options and check he didn't leave a really horrible tone to wake you).

Auto On/Off doesn't do quite what you want for shutdown - but its close. You get power off at a preset time rather than minutes delay. And it doesn't matter if you goof and set auto-on later than Alarm, because the phone will wake anyway.
    12-12-08 05:21 AM
    So, tell us what things you want to accomplish on the Bold, and we'll tell you what you need. Here's some starters:

Download Google Maps. If you are a heavy Google product user, download the Google Mobile app. It integrates several Google functions into one launcher. Quite handy.

If you use multiple IM services like Gtalk, WLM, AIM, etc..., download the 30-day trial of BeejiveIM.

Of course, you'll want the Crackberry.com Launcher, too! Just go to http://wap.crackberry.com for the link to download OTA.

If you like RSS, pick up the Crackberry version of Viigo while you're there.

I HIGHLY recommend following pink2's advice to disable Dial From Home Screen. It opens up a slew of keyboard shortcuts!

B = Browser
    O = Options
    L = Calendar
    D = Memo Pad
    (see what I did there? )
    U = Calculator
    M = Messages
    C = Compose e-mail
    H = Help (against the norm, these actually ARE very helpful in getting you familiar with the controls of your BB. Must read)

Typing shortcuts:

-2 spaces inserts a period.
    -To cap a letter, hold it down for a second or so.
    -ALT will give you secondary characters on each key (like # and numbers)
    -NUM lock and Caps lock are in my signature block

Enjoy!
    12-12-08 07:34 AM
    Almost had BOLD MUCH spelled out!

Here's my usage pattern:

1. Alarm wakes me up (later reminds me to leave on time, to work out, etc.)

2. Check Exchange, MobileMe, Gmail

3. Check TiPb to make sure Kevin hasn't snuck in and painted the place orange and green

4. Check RSS, weather, news, etc.

5. Listen to podcast/audio book during commute (work and back)

6. When away from my desk, take/make calls, surf, keep up with email

7. In between, check out apps. Mostly I like to try new ones, cool ones, and things really pushing the technology
    12-12-08 10:18 AM
    Ha Ha I think you are getting the hang of it. That bode's well for me if I go on and switch from the treo 750 to the bold. Good deal!
    12-12-08 10:40 AM
    As was posted before, check out Viigo for RSS feeds. I use the alrm app to wake me in the morning and then use tasks to remind me of other things throughout the day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 10:49 AM
    Tasks? Sorry, I'm coming from the iPhone... What pray-tell, are Tasks?

12-12-08 11:07 AM
    Haha I love the joke about the touchscreen. No it does not have to be touchscreen to be an amazing gadget "toy"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 11:23 AM
    Task: An entry in the Tasks Application. (You'll probably find this in the Applications folder). Not recommended, it seems to behave like a 'Things I should have done weeks ago' guilt list.

For your described schedule it might be easier to enter reminders in the Calendar application - with daily or weekly repeats where necessary. The recurrence setting is actually pretty smart and flexible. (One hint needed - make sure you enter a Subject for a new calendar event, it can be difficult to get back to a blank subject later for editing.)
    12-12-08 12:41 PM
    yeah, +1 on viigo. it pretty much has everything you need:weather, sports, rss feeds. it's an awesome app!
    12-12-08 01:38 PM
    Hey Rene, don't forget to stop by the CB Store to pick up a spare battery for those times when charging isn't an available.
    12-12-08 01:58 PM
    BBSmart Alarms Pro... hopefully it comes out before you have to ship the Bold off.

Great apps that I use:
    (most can be found in the CB store)

FileLock - I love being able to lock certain files/pics on my sd card and never have to worry when I lend someone my device.
    AIM - If you like to instant message. Good app, works pretty good for basic AIM functions. **remember to send yourself the service books first**
    VibandRing - The BB does not vibrate and ring simultaneously, but this app allows you to do so.
    CB Launcher - get your Crackberry fix quick with this launcher. Go to "wap.crackberry.com" from your bb browser and d/l it.
    TwitterBerry - if you like to twitter.
    Ascendo Money - One of the best finance managers for the BB
    Ascendo Fitness - Track nutrition, exercise & strength training.
    BBShortcuts - you can create shortcuts to native applications, third-party applications, websites, and common tasks like emailing, calling, and SMS’ing contacts.

Other great apps can be found here at the CB store or here.
    12-12-08 04:18 PM
    i'm using an apple data plan and it works fine with mine?? i know the 6gb data plan offered by rogers is not a Blackberry data plan for sure...
    12-13-08 04:03 PM
    i'm using an apple data plan and it works fine with mine?? i know the 6gb data plan offered by rogers is not a Blackberry data plan for sure...
    Yeah, it definitely works with non BB data plans.
    12-14-08 02:31 AM
    OK Rene, did you get the BB plan added and everything is so intuitive you don't need to ask? Or are you still waiting for full feature activation?
    12-14-08 11:13 AM
    OK Rene, did you get the BB plan added and everything is so intuitive you don't need to ask? Or are you still waiting for full feature activation?
    Lol... I think he's been fiddling with the iPhone instead, lol.
    12-15-08 07:33 AM
    Isn't he not supposed to have his iPhone right now?
    12-15-08 01:00 PM
    he's supposed to be using his BOLD lol
    12-15-08 01:32 PM
    i just bought an iphone. i feel sad
    12-15-08 04:15 PM
    do you reckon i could get a blackberry emulator for my iphone?
    12-15-08 04:28 PM
113 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD