I had recently installed the black bezel and buttons to my Bold. So when I saw Case-Mate came out with an all black battery door, I was intrigued. I ordered it on Monday, and it arrived today (3 days later).

I opened the package and immediately installed it on the bold. It really looks great on the bold...especially a blacked out bold. The battery door fits just like stock, nice and snug with no squeaking. The material is nice looking and feels durable.

Now for the bad news... The "leather" material they use is not perfectly aligned on the plastic battery door. It also looks like the edges are peeling up. When I run my fingers along the edge, the material sticks again, but soon peels back. Only about 1 millimeter is peeled up, but it concerns me for long time use. (I tried to get pics of this, but my macro lens is at Canon getting repaired) Hopefully my unit is defective and others are not like this. I will contact customer service and update this post accordingly.

Over all I would give this product 3 1/2 stars. It would be a 4 1/2 star product if they address and fix my concerns on the material.

UPDATE: After using this for a day, I have decided to return it. I have realized that this battery door is not as rigid at the stock one. When I hold the device and press the trackball, the case-mate door "gives" making it feel flimsy. Combine this with the material peeling issue, it has to go back. I hope this battery door is an isolated case.

Product page for reference:
    BlackBerry Bold BackPack - Case-mate

Now for the pics...

Let me know if you guys have questions. I'll try to answer them the best I can.
    Last edited by dooks88; 01-22-09 at 09:06 PM.
    01-22-09 12:23 PM
    Looks good, you should have put this in the community reviews section though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 12:53 PM
    Looks great to me

01-22-09 01:23 PM
    that looks really nice with the black bezel.....
    01-22-09 01:26 PM
    nice!
    thanks for the review.
    they say it adds protection...do you agree?
    thinking about getting one.
    01-22-09 03:20 PM
    That looks hot!
    01-22-09 03:24 PM
    nice!
    thanks for the review.
    they say it adds protection...do you agree?
    thinking about getting one.
    I wouldn't say it adds any more protection that the stock one. The material on the case-mate is softer, but I don't think that matters much.

01-22-09 04:17 PM
    Updated the first post with more impressions...it's getting returned
    01-22-09 09:07 PM
    Damn, I was really close to purchasing this too. Thanks for the heads up!
    01-22-09 11:31 PM
    Looks good.. thanks for the review. The all black blackberry is the business though looks real nice. ON another note.... what theme is that?
    01-23-09 12:15 AM
    nice review, i was looking into getting one
    01-23-09 12:43 AM
    Looks good.. thanks for the review. The all black blackberry is the business though looks real nice. ON another note.... what theme is that?
    onThearm.com mobile site

Over the air link to free bold themes.
    01-23-09 09:12 AM
    Thanks for that review of the product. Of all of your upgrades, I really like the black trackball.
    01-23-09 09:16 AM
    Thanks for that review of the product. Of all of your upgrades, I really like the black trackball.
    Thanks. I like the look and feel of it too. If you are changing the bezel, you might as well change the trackball too...
    01-24-09 09:05 AM
    Hum... So was this an isolated case? Anyone else purchased this? As it is damn good looking and i am actually debating if i should get it.
    02-06-09 11:12 PM
    cool review, tell one of the moderators to move it to COMMUNITY REVIEWS
    02-06-09 11:28 PM
    Damnit... someone posted this yesterday and I was going to get one to replace my stock squeaky one. Looks like I'm just going to get the plastic one from CNN.cn. Thanks for the review and pics.
    02-06-09 11:36 PM
    wth it costs more than the the item itself to ship to Montreal, Canada
    02-07-09 09:56 AM
    i bought the brown leather and the carbon and found bth to be of poor quality compared to the colorware i already had, the carbon fibr has rough edged and the brown leather had bubbles where it hadnt stuck down!!! real shame as they look good from a distance.
    02-07-09 10:35 AM
    i have ordered one and to be honest I am very disappointed with what I got.

I received it last week and it is nothing like in the picture.

The "leather" as stated on the website :" Quality leather form-fit design. "

First it doesn't seems like leather at all. It seems and feel like it's
    plain strings attached.

Second the "leather" doesn't fit on the plastic cover at all, I can easily
    peal it off. . unlike the original cover by RIM, where the real leather hit
    the corners of the plastic , the plastic comes over the leather holding the
    leather in making sure it will not peal or anything.

I hadn't even put the case on the phone and I already can see the glue
    coming out and the "leather" peeling off..

Also it is SO uneven throughout the plastic shell.

Also the cover doesn't fit to the back of the phone, it has some space for
    dirt and dust to get in and on the battery.

On the website, the picture you have it looks amazing on the device, I am so
    disappointed to see it so poorly on my device

i ahve sent them an email about it and they told me that i got a defected cover and sent me a brand new one, but guess what? it came exactly the same.... glue coming out, u can peal the so called leather... i am so dissapointed....
    i got the black one...
    02-07-09 10:39 AM
    thanks for heads up... guess won't be ordering then lol
    02-07-09 11:58 AM
    BUMP

crackberry store is carrying this, we must let other forum users know....
    03-14-09 01:32 AM
    I was just about to ask you Bold users if anyone had tried these battery covers, because they are here on CB now and I was ogling them a bit, and then I found this thread.

Doesn't look like a great product. Too bad.

Here is the link to the CB store. They look so nice....

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=r9ZeBkjp
    03-26-09 03:13 PM
    Looks cool...
    03-26-09 07:59 PM
    I was really looking forward to receiving this also, it was sold out everywhere online for a few weeks so when one website, blueunplugged, got stock I ordered it at once.
    My cover has the exact same issues, although I have to say that for the moment (as it is still brand new) it looks amazing imo, but I can tell that it will probably looked frayed and cr@ppy in about 2-3months time.
    I'm not even sending it back because it cost �13, instead I am thinking about using a hard crystal clear case on top (or a skin) for everyday use.
    03-26-09 08:17 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD