Sorry if I'm being thick, I've spent all morning mooning over my beautiful Bold, then noticed the Maps app is missing! Any ideas?
    08-18-08 08:21 AM
    The map comes preloaded with all blackberries. Try going to Menu -> Menu button -> Show all. You might have deleted by accident. Sync with DM and it will reload it for you
    08-18-08 10:48 AM
    The map comes preloaded with all blackberries. Try going to Menu -> Menu button -> Show all. You might have deleted by accident. Sync with DM and it will reload it for you
    Nope, definitely not there, it looks like everyone else has the same problem, weird!
    08-19-08 02:23 AM
    That does seem strange.

I wonder if they have been disabled by Orange for whatever reason, or whether they weren't even there to start with?

Has anyone actually managed to reload them though?
    08-19-08 04:16 AM
    That does seem strange.

I wonder if they have been disabled by Orange for whatever reason, or whether they weren't even there to start with?

Has anyone actually managed to reload them though?

I can only presume Blackberry haven't tweaked the Maps app for the Bold yet. You can't even download it from the Blackberry site. All very odd. Tried to reload from the tools disk but no joy. At least Google maps works OK.
    08-19-08 05:25 AM
    Very weird! I have it on mine but yeah Google or gamin works better anyways...lol It's the carrier's decision what app they want to take...Did they give you facebook and all these other chat applications?

Oh try one more thing, maybe it's in the applications folder...
    08-19-08 09:09 AM
    On t-mobile germany, maps was also hidden. The carrier tries to push some sort of turn by turn navigation app. that they sell subscriptions for.

Once I did an enterprise activation ( I am on BES ), maps icon appeared and the app is working great! So the bold does come with blackberry maps and it does work, but some carriers choose to ship the bold with blackberry maps hidden.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 09:12 AM
    oh ok makes sense...I think on Verizon they do the same on the Curve. They want you to pay like $5/months something for their in house map app so they took out the free BB map
    08-19-08 09:36 AM
    On t-mobile germany, maps was also hidden. The carrier tries to push some sort of turn by turn navigation app. that they sell subscriptions for.

Once I did an enterprise activation ( I am on BES ), maps icon appeared and the app is working great! So the bold does come with blackberry maps and it does work, but some carriers choose to ship the bold with blackberry maps hidden.

That could well be the case here I suppose, I've just emailed Orange asking for some advice, I will post there reply as and when they get round to answering.
    08-19-08 09:42 AM
    Rather than argue with your carriers or try to unhide the app, why not try re-downloading and re-installing the app directly from RIM ?

http://www.blackberry.com/devicesoft...y.do?code=maps
    08-19-08 09:47 AM
    That doesn't work, unfortunately it says "Unsupported Device"
    08-19-08 04:17 PM
    That doesn't work, unfortunately it says "Unsupported Device"
    True!

I love this phone but both the launch and support by orange has been Bland not Bold! RIM make stunning devices built for the real world and heavy users, so why do carriers insist on annoying customers by removing functionality?
    08-20-08 02:26 AM
    Here's the strange part I found, go into:

Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS hit menu and select Refresh GPS
    Now go into

Options -> Advanced Options -> Maps and Default Service is BlackBerry Maps - EU
    So it seems it should be on there.

Also if you go into:

Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications mine has BlackBerry Maps 4.6.0 listed
    08-20-08 09:37 AM
    Orange Business Services | BlackBerry® Bold 9000

Bottom of the page states requires GPS Software

handset features - the Orange shop

List of features includes BlackBerry Maps
    08-20-08 10:12 AM
    It would be interesting to hear what Orange have to say about this, as it seems to affect everyone!
    08-20-08 10:46 AM
    It is possible that what you have is simply a missing BB Maps icon.

The solution I believe is to download the OS onto your pc and select BB maps via the application loader.(see if you can find a thread regarding missing BB maps icon) At least this is how it was for older devices with a missing icon.

08-20-08 11:04 AM
    Try this, hit the menu button & select switch application, is the maps icon there?

08-20-08 11:09 AM
    Nope not on the switch application menu
    08-20-08 11:25 AM
    If it's in the application list at options > advanced options > applications then it should be on the device which is why I think only the icon is missing.

Contact Orange and let us know what they say about it.

Good luck!

08-20-08 11:30 AM
    I already confirmed that the icon is merely hidden. Maps is definitely pre-installed on the Bold.
    08-20-08 01:23 PM
    I seem to have this problem as well. Applications are installed but icons are not!
    08-20-08 05:08 PM
    Is there anyway of forcing an enterprise activation without a BES server?

Just entering in random data or did it not appear untill the conformation?
    08-20-08 07:07 PM
    Hasn't anyone spoken to Orange about this problem yet?... it would be interesting to hear what they have to say about it!
    08-21-08 04:37 AM
    Read here -

Blackberry 9000 Bold Release Announced - Blackberry Bold UK � New Mobile Phones, Latest Mobile Releases

Orange are being accused of acting too hastily to release the Bold without testing..

08-21-08 04:44 AM
    To save people the trouble of checking out all the comments, I am copying the relevant one here:

"Hi all,

In response to Clever lad - yes he is right orange do have them but it is very hard to get them from the shops unless your the first person in front of the shop door. Orange have pulled a batch of faulty Blackberry bolds off stock I dont know the reason i was just told alot got taken off. So beware if you buying from Orange themselves, As in release dates for providers here are the confirmed dates for all providers:

16th August was obviously Orange
    1st September = Vodafone
    8th September = O2
    16th(could be later or earlier)= T-Mobile UK.

As i said at the moment O2 and VODAFONE will recieve stock of the blackberrys throughout the week til the end of the month the reason why they arent going to sell them to us the consumers is that 1. they want enough to give out to their customers and 2. they will recieve extensive testing before they are released to us. O2 and Vodafone are the two networks you will want to go to get a reliable and problem free blackberry bold 9000.

Orange didnt do enough testing and thats why they had to pull a batch of them off and plus at the moment orange only ship 2-3 models to each store so unless your a business customer its going to be very hard to get hold of one.

The blackberry bold is a terrific phone but for all those eager beavers it is worth the wait for the fully tested model rather getting one that hasnt been tested and just given to the customers like Orange have done. I do hope this information has been useful to all of you."

This was written by someone with the name of 'Charlie Alison' earlier today, and I hope he won't mind it being quoted on here.

This is the first time I have seen those comments about Orange stated so definately, although it was obvious right from the start that everything was not quite as it should be!
    08-21-08 04:51 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD