I decided to give the Fortte Thin Pocket for the Bold a try. Here are my findings:

• Extremely low profile -- fits almost like a skin, disappears into your pocket
    • Nicely reinforced, fully covers the front and back of the Bold
    • Removing the Bold doesn't leave fingerprints on the screen (the sides of the case partially exposes the Bold)
    • Easy to feel the phone vibrate in your pocket
    • Has a sleeper magnet

Dislikes:
    • Cannot see the LED while device is in the case
    • Not designed to accommodate partially sliding the device out of the case to check/delete emails
    • Top opening is tapered inwards. You will occasionally cause an inadvertent button press removing the device from the case.

Compared to the OEM Blackberry sleeve:
    • OEM sleeve is wider (advantage: Fortte)
    • Harder to feel the phone vibrate in the OEM sleeve (advantage: Fortte)
    • Can see the LED while phone is in the OEM case (advantage: RIM)
    • Cannot keep the screen free of fingerprints with the OEM sleeve (advantage: Fortte)
    • OEM sleeve allows for easy spot checking of email without fully removing the device from the case (advantage: RIM)
    • Vulnerable to accidental button presses (tie: the OEM case tends to accidentally engage the right side camera button, Fortte will hit keyboard buttons)

My opinion:
    If you're looking for a clip-less sleeve, the Fortte Thin Pocket is an excellent choice. I like it a lot more than RIM's OEM sleeve, and will continue to use the Fortte. If Fortte makes some slight modifications, I think it will be even better.

Fortte absolutely needs to cut a notch in the sleeve to make the LED visible. I also think the tapering at the top makes this case too prone to accidental button presses when removing the phone from the case. The lack of LED visibility is almost a deal breaker for me. Make these changes and I'll be first in line for version 2!
    10-09-08 09:01 PM
    Nice looking case! The LED notch would be a good idea. Mention it to them. Since they custom make all the cases they may listen. Also, interesting they note Bold 9000, 9100......what the heck is the 9100?
    10-09-08 09:23 PM
    I think were about to do a bulk purchase of this case in another thread here. I'd love to get my hands onm this case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-08 06:11 AM
    I think were about to do a bulk purchase of this case in another thread here. I'd love to get my hands onm this case.
    Yep, that's the one that the UK folks were going to do a group buy on. It's definitely one of the nicer thin cases... I think you'll enjoy it!
    10-11-08 12:22 PM
    Great review, nice work!!!

I'm using the RIM slim full time lately, though I pretty sure I'll get the Fortte.

LED, viewable is nice for sure... I see it just started blinking now from the corner of my eye. Got go and check for mail...
    10-11-08 12:46 PM
    Thx for the review man, looking forward to getting my hands on this bad boy
    10-11-08 05:25 PM
    OK, one post later and I went ahead and ordered it. A couple weeks of procrastinating after reading this thread ... http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/slim-case-bold-75665/

I finally bit the bullet. The review on this thread tipped the scales for me.

Thanks again alee0729,

PvT
    10-11-08 05:42 PM
    I've had one for a week. The OP is exactly right with his comments on the inwards curved entry. It results in an accidental key press nearly every time I remove the Bold.

The leather is still quite stiff on mine. I can't easily pull it from the case by gripping the sides.

But if you want a really classy, perfectly form-fitted pocket case, this is the one. It's beautiful leather and very well made. I think it will get better and better with use.
    10-11-08 06:43 PM
    How long do you guys think it'll take them to come out with a version with room for a LED?

I'd buy it the minute they come out with one.
    10-12-08 02:16 AM
    How long do you guys think it'll take them to come out with a version with room for a LED?

I'd buy it the minute they come out with one.
    Well, as I noted earlier I went ahead and ordered the slim Fortte case for my Bold, got the confirmation that it's shipped today.

So, about being able to see the LED... here's one where they thought of that: Blackberry Bold Cases - Beyza SlimLINE - VSL17 Vertical Leather Case Black

I need to be OK with my decision, so I'll say I'm happy with my Fortte choice :~| I'll keep telling myself that... The fortte case looks to be more pocket friendly and when I have the phone laying on the table, I won't have that "annoying" :~| LED come on to alert all who are there that I just got mail.

OK, I've almost convinced myself

Anyways, thought I would post the above link as there was the discussion about an LED cut-out.
    10-13-08 04:50 PM
    I just ordered the Leather Case Antique Brown from Beyz SlimLINE for the bold.
    10-13-08 05:46 PM
    Great review, Thanks
    10-13-08 08:57 PM
    I will prefer a case where I can't see the LED! Come on UK bulk buy...
    10-15-08 06:04 PM
    I will prefer a case where I can't see the LED! Come on UK bulk buy...
    I'm feeling that more and more... no LED visible. Today, I was sitting with a friend and had my phone on the table. (Currently using the RIM slim case while waiting for my Fortte to arrive). Twice the LED starts blinking... both times it interupts our conversation as we are both "drawn into the light" and I pick up the phone and check it for messages. Nasty habit, turned out they were unimportant emails, and just plain ant-social & rude of me to be honest

If I want to be on the ready and see the LED, I'll half "slip it out" or just lay it naked on the table or desk for everyone to see.

Thank you Beermeupscottie, for allowing me to reflect on this, now I'm content with my Fortte decision.
    10-15-08 06:16 PM
    I got my Fortte Slim case today...

Leather case for Blackberry Bold 9000

Nice when the phone is in the case...

Difficult to remove the phone from the case...

Usually activates some function on my Bold when I slid it out. Opens call list, activates camera etc.

My left convenience Key is Voice Dial and right is Camera.

Most times I slide the phone into the case I either see the screen go white to the Call list or it activates my Language choices (I'm running three language choices) or often I hear "Say a command" (My voice dial)

Again, I love the case when the phone is in it.

I have now, moved keyboard lock to my home screen and lock my phone before I slide the phone in... even though the case has a magnetic sleepr function :~|

I use Voice Dial alot, so if I choose to use a convenience key for keyboard lock, I may have to assign it to the right one which is currently my Camera.

My 2 cents.... I hope the case softens up a bit and I get more comefortable with it.

The slim case I have been using to date is the RIM Blackberry slim pouch:

Here are some images of my new Fortte case:

10-25-08 08:30 PM
    i purchased this case and am highly disappointed. I thought it would have felt soft but in reality it feels like cardboard with leather glued on. I opened it right out of the box and the supposed "stitching" is really just glued around the edges. It in fact started to PEEL off as soon as I put my Bold inside.

I have attached pics so you can see what I am talking about. I have already contacted Fortte to see what they can do about this.

11-06-08 04:30 PM
    I've had mine for almost two weeks... used it once...

Don't like the fact that it hits my convenience keys every time it goes in or out of the case. It's also so stiff as ^^^ you say and rubs up against my screen every time it slides in and out.

Again, spent money... used it once
    11-06-08 04:54 PM
    piece of crap is what it is!
    11-06-08 04:55 PM
    My Dad's got an 8800, it slides in this case quite well... I think I'll just give it to him and tell him it's awesome :~|
    11-06-08 05:03 PM
    how's the OEM slip in case? i mean the Bold is already a wide phone..does it make it that much wider? anyone have this?

shawn, dude call them up and get a new one...there CS is usually good like that
    11-06-08 05:20 PM
    so just a heads up on this...
    The owner of Fortte contacted me and apologized for the defective case. He did offer to send me any product on their website free of charge or a 100% refund (I went with the refund)
    11-07-08 03:56 PM
    so just a heads up on this...
    The owner of Fortte contacted me and apologized for the defective case. He did offer to send me any product on their website free of charge or a 100% refund (I went with the refund)
    Thanks for reporting back, that's good to hear. Since I chucked all my packaging etc, and my case isn't hoop'd, I'll just stick with the giving it to Dad for his 8800.
    11-07-08 04:18 PM
    I have to say I've been very happy using my Fortte case over the last several weeks. Yes it's stiff, but I'm has done a great job protecting my Bold. It's a no-worries, "toss it in your pocket with your keys" kind of case.

I just received my Beyza Slimline case today. If you're looking for a softer case, this case is much closer in design to the OEM case (but with much higher quality leather), and a notch cut in the top for a visible LED. Jury is still out on how it wears over the coming days and weeks.
    11-10-08 06:06 PM
    Any update on how the beyza case is holding up?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 02:20 PM
    Any update on how the beyza case is holding up?
    Enjoying the Beyza case immensely... there is A LOT of padding in the case, so it took a few days before it became easy to slip the BB in/out of the case. I got the antique leather which looks like it's holding up very well. The stitching and the sealed edges are also holding up quite nicely.

Definitely a much more luxurious feel than the RIM slip case, and seems to be just as durable as the Fortte. The notch for the LED is excellent... and the notch at the bottom of the Beyza case makes it very easy to remove the BB from the case.
    11-19-08 02:42 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD