Thought these instructions may be useful. If you get it right, the BOLD home screen should look like the pic attached.

1. Connect Your BlackBerry
    Make sure your BlackBerry is connected by USB cable, and your BlackBerry Handheld Manager is running (just launch BlackBerry Desktop to run it.) This is necessary for using the BlackBerry as an external modem. You cannot use Blackberry as a modem unless you have BlackBerry Handheld Manager running in the background!

2. Verify the Modem Driver Is Functioning
    Go to Control Panel -> Phone & Modem Options. In the Modems tab, you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port (such as COM6 or COM11). Click Properties -> Diagnostics -> Query Modem. You should see the following:
    Quote:
    ATQ0V1E0 - OK
    AT+GMM - BlackBerry IPmodem
    AT+FCLASS=? - OK
    AT#CLS=? - OK
    AT+GCI? - OK
    AT+GCI=? - OK
    ATI1 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI2 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI3 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI4 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI5 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI6 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI7 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem

3. IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    Click Properties -> Advanced and add the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier-specific APN Setting:

For APN settings see Carrier APN Settings - ModMyiFone - Wiki

Vodafone
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.vodafone.de"

4. Add a New Internet Connection
    Close the Phone and Modem Options and the Control Panel. Create a new connection with Start -> Connect To -> Show all connections -> Create a new connection.
    Quote:
    1. Click Next
    2. Select "Connect To The Internet" then Next
    3. Select "Set up my connection manually" then Next
    4. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" then Next.
    5. Check only the Standard Modem (if prompted).
    6. Give the connection a name such as "BlackBerry Modem", then Next.
    7. On the next screen, pick one of the following phone numbers, depending on your carrier:
    If you use Vodafone: Enter phone number *99#
    8. Click Next.
    9. On the next screen, pick one of the following, depending on your carrier:
    ....If you use Vodafone:
    .........Username: vodafone
    .........Password: vodafone
    10. Clear all checkboxes ("Use...when anyone..." and "Make this the default...")
    11. Click Finish

5. Disable IP Header Compression
    Make sure TCP/IP Properties (Advanced) "Use IP Header Compression" checkbox is NOT checked. To verify this, do these steps:
    Quote:
    1. Start Menu->Network Connections->"BlackBerry Modem"
    2. Click Properties Button
    3. Click Networking Tab
    4. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
    5. Click Properties Button
    6. Click Advanced... Button
    7. Disable "Use IP header compression" checkbox
    8. Click all OK buttons to close all dialogs

6. BES Configuration
    Skip this step if you are not on BES. You only need to follow this step if your company gave the BlackBerry to you. If you are at a company and you are on a BES 4.0, your Administrator must enable the "BlackBerry IPModem" setting on the BES. This is a new setting in the Version 4.0 of BES.
    7. Surf on the Laptop!
    Connect to the Internet on the laptop by clicking the "BlackBerry Modem" icon via Start Menu->Network Connections. No username or password is needed.
    09-11-08 02:45 PM
    As per BlackBerry Search Results there's an extra setting, possibly, for T-Mobile customers.
    09-11-08 03:30 PM
    This rocks. I put it on my desktop just in case my inet connection goes down.
    Next to set it up on Asus eee 1000
    11-19-08 05:31 PM
    i don't need this, but i thought i'd say that it didn't work for me. it MIGHT be because i'm using a custom install of windows with a lot of stuff taken out of it.
    11-19-08 05:40 PM
    Does this work for AT&T? I didn't see settings for it, just Cingular
    11-19-08 07:22 PM
    Cingular (Blue) = ATT
    You'll notice that some email communications from ATT actually come from @cingular addresses
    11-21-08 12:20 PM
    Does cingular charge for this? Also is there a limit on the amount of data you can use?
    02-17-09 01:02 AM
    Is there anyway your service provider will know you are doing this? Or will it just look to them like you are surfing the net from your bold?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 03:36 AM
    This entire thread is considering you pay for "tethering" right? Or can we do it without paying for that crap?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 03:57 AM
    So with this set up i will be using the BB internet.

I have an unlimited data plan so will i get charged extra for this???
    04-02-09 03:18 AM
    this is known as tethering. you would need to check your plan if tethering is allowed or not.
    04-02-09 03:57 AM
    Thought these instructions may be useful. If you get it right, the BOLD home screen should look like the pic attached.
    Hi nmonger .... I found this instruction very useful and i have copied the whole lot and made it as a PDF document, which i would like to sent to Chris (tronyx) to be hosted on his website ... so that everyone at CB.com get access to this info evenif this thread gets deleted ...

Thank you very much for posting this thread !!!!
    04-02-09 05:38 AM
    help...i have a unlocked at&t bold using t-mobile net with bis and updated os .247 . i had a curve 8320 and it was working as a modem by usb hookup and now i want to use the bold as 1 . i did a query on the modem and it said at+gmm rim blackberry device 84000e07 and at+fclass=? comand not supported and also at#cls=?,AT+GCI?,AT+GCI=? all say the samething. ive also ask t-mobile thay say it maybe a block in the phone it self. ive been at this for 2 weeks looking around the internet trying to find a clue.
    04-11-09 04:53 PM
    if you want instructions for windows XP mac and Ubuntu 9.10 I have them posted at Tech Steps in the forums
    Last edited by jesse.anger; 12-11-09 at 01:18 PM.
    08-02-09 07:46 PM
    Thanks for the info. This is really helpful when I'm out with the lenovo without wifi.. Forget those lame pay per use wifi hotspots!!
    08-02-09 09:01 PM
    Can someone show me how to install this for Windows XP? i am having issues trying to get this to work. Please help, send me a tutorial or step by step to set it up for a BOLD 9000 from a Windows XP operating system. Thanks in advanced!
    01-05-10 12:46 PM
    Can someone show me how to install this for Windows XP? i am having issues trying to get this to work. Please help, send me a tutorial or step by step to set it up for a BOLD 9000 from a Windows XP operating system. Thanks in advanced!
    The instructions above are for an XP setup. Read them again, follow the instructions carefully...
    01-05-10 06:32 PM
    Works for AT&T. I am using it right now. Worked like a charm.
    01-05-10 07:31 PM
    who ever is in the uk, im 95% sure that you will get charged for using your bb as a modem.
    A) because i have first hand experience of being charged for this.
    B) i work in O2 sheffield
    C) ive confirmed it with the customer services

If you want to use your bb as a modem get a therring bolt on from your service provider which may be cheaper.
    01-05-10 09:04 PM
    Before I activated my BB with the GSM network provider. I could use it as a modem using the above listed steps. but immediately it was activated it was giving me " The PPP link control was terminated". Can anybody help with this problem
    03-03-10 06:46 AM
    try to use it with a thoughbook and a tmobil bold 9700
    07-09-10 05:22 AM
    Good read.
    07-09-10 08:08 AM
    Just a wee bit of help needed...

I live in Italy, carrier TIM
    how do I find the info I need to add, where would I have to go, because your links don't work, they just give a blank google home page, so I can't even get there by translation and intuition.

thanks
    01-11-13 03:39 AM
    That's because his post is over 4 years old! You need to call your carrier.

Do you have a 9000?
    01-12-13 12:37 AM

1. Connect Your BlackBerry
    Make sure your BlackBerry is connected by USB cable, and your BlackBerry Handheld Manager is running (just launch BlackBerry Desktop to run it.) This is necessary for using the BlackBerry as an external modem. You cannot use Blackberry as a modem unless you have BlackBerry Handheld Manager running in the background!

2. Verify the Modem Driver Is Functioning
    Go to Control Panel -> Phone & Modem Options. In the Modems tab, you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port (such as COM6 or COM11). Click Properties -> Diagnostics -> Query Modem. You should see the following:
    Quote:
    ATQ0V1E0 - OK
    AT+GMM - BlackBerry IPmodem
    AT+FCLASS=? - OK
    AT#CLS=? - OK
    AT+GCI? - OK
    AT+GCI=? - OK
    ATI1 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI2 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI3 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI4 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI5 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI6 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem
    ATI7 - Research In Motion / BlackBerry IPmodem

3. IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    Click Properties -> Advanced and add the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier-specific APN Setting:

For APN settings see Carrier APN Settings - ModMyiFone - Wiki

Vodafone
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.vodafone.de"

4. Add a New Internet Connection
    Close the Phone and Modem Options and the Control Panel. Create a new connection with Start -> Connect To -> Show all connections -> Create a new connection.
    Quote:
    1. Click Next
    2. Select "Connect To The Internet" then Next
    3. Select "Set up my connection manually" then Next
    4. Select "Connect using a dial-up modem" then Next.
    5. Check only the Standard Modem (if prompted).
    6. Give the connection a name such as "BlackBerry Modem", then Next.
    7. On the next screen, pick one of the following phone numbers, depending on your carrier:
    If you use Vodafone: Enter phone number *99#
    8. Click Next.
    9. On the next screen, pick one of the following, depending on your carrier:
    ....If you use Vodafone:
    .........Username: vodafone
    .........Password: vodafone
    10. Clear all checkboxes ("Use...when anyone..." and "Make this the default...")
    11. Click Finish

5. Disable IP Header Compression
    Make sure TCP/IP Properties (Advanced) "Use IP Header Compression" checkbox is NOT checked. To verify this, do these steps:
    Quote:
    1. Start Menu->Network Connections->"BlackBerry Modem"
    2. Click Properties Button
    3. Click Networking Tab
    4. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
    5. Click Properties Button
    6. Click Advanced... Button
    7. Disable "Use IP header compression" checkbox
    8. Click all OK buttons to close all dialogs

6. BES Configuration
    Skip this step if you are not on BES. You only need to follow this step if your company gave the BlackBerry to you. If you are at a company and you are on a BES 4.0, your Administrator must enable the "BlackBerry IPModem" setting on the BES. This is a new setting in the Version 4.0 of BES.
    7. Surf on the Laptop!
    Connect to the Internet on the laptop by clicking the "BlackBerry Modem" icon via Start Menu->Network Connections. No username or password is needed.
    Hi, on my bold 9650 I go.t. Command not supported on all. AT in query
    I am running BB suite 6 on windows 7
    Kindly guide. Further
    Thanks
    06-19-13 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD