Hey everyone, I've been google'ing around and haven't been able find any diagram or info on how charging stations for the bold are wired. I obviously don't want to just start cramming wires onto the contacts near the lower edges, I was wondering what it is.

I would like to end up building my own through this knowledge, so I have a nice spot to put my various devices.

If anyone could give me the specs on how to do this, or at least point me in the correct direction, that would be great.

Thanks!
    01-18-09 08:26 PM
    :hail: are you some sort of genius? if and when this is completed, please post pics. i hope you get the answers your looking for soon.
    01-18-09 08:50 PM
    just buy one and reverse engineer it... ???
    01-18-09 10:23 PM
    The desk top charging cradle makes contact with the two contacts located at the bottom sides of the Bold positive and negative. I have not checked which is the positive or negative. The standard mini plug charger give nominal 5V DC.

The easy way is to buy the cradle @ about $14 (hook up to the PC USB or portable AC charger since the charging cradle itself is un-powered).
    01-18-09 10:30 PM
    I was figuring I could take the charger from my old curve (hey, I only ran around with two blackberrys on my belt for a few days, and now I don't really need two at the same time =) ) and either extend the miniusb +/- power (http:// pinouts.ru /Slots/USB_pinout.shtml [the forum thinks I'm trying to spam...] some prongs are power, some are data on a mini usb) and plug that in that way. I just don't want to cross wires when I do this.

I would prefer to do this without paying for a dock, I'm going to send off an email to rim and see if I get any information back. Most of my friends are RIM are on the software side of this stuff so they can't really help me out.

Really, I just want some source of confirmation that it is indeed 5volts (which is likely, but you never know), and which sides are positive and negative.
    01-19-09 08:10 AM
    The desktop cradle has no power itself and looks good.
    You bought an expensive phone that is worthwhile having a low cost accessory.
    Amazon newegg and others have this item at low price, about $14-16

Newegg.com - BlackBerry 30758LRP Desktop Charging Pod For Bold 9000 - Cell Phone Accessories
    Last edited by mandony; 01-19-09 at 10:44 AM.
    01-19-09 10:39 AM
    If you get the pinout of a mini usb male end, the "notch" goes up into the dock. You only need the power (5v DC) and gnd/- as the dock doesn't sync. In theory it is very simply wired with a lead going from the + to one contact and - to the other. Maybe someone on here with a multimeter can give you an answer as to which is which on the device (test the cradle and then compare that to how the device sits in it)
    If you don't get an answer by 6PM PST or so, I can test it and get an answer for ya.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 11:46 AM
    I find it funny that they sell this for 14$, as the store I work for sells it at $40 (even better, I can look up the at-cost value of products).

If you could tell me which side of the device is the positive and which is negative, as well as confirm the voltage being 5v, I'll get on to making the device and host a DIY tutorial.
    01-19-09 07:06 PM
    The OP sent me a PM to remind me to get the info on the dock. I don't have the voltage (but if it's hooked to usb it's 5V), here is the polarity:

If you are looking at your device from the front, + is on the right and - on the left.
    01-22-09 10:22 AM
    Excellent. Now.. to find a usb I can splice up!
    01-22-09 03:59 PM
    The wall charger for the bb is 5V DC output, so 5V is safe to charge with. There is no reducing happening inside the pod.

01-22-09 04:21 PM
    Excellent, I took an old Motorolla charger that I had and chopped off the USB plug, (used a multy meter to measure the polarity) and when I connected the loose ends of wire to the phone, it was charging! Wonderful!

I would like to note that wall charges are 10volts, and USB chargers are 5. This is why wall chargers will charge faster.

I'll create a blog for this project once I can find a camera to take a picture of the wires touching.
    01-22-09 05:28 PM
    I would be careful with the 10V motorola charger as the bb wall charger says right on it 5V DC output.

01-22-09 05:48 PM
    My bad, I had the meter at the wrong setting. it's 5v dc at 550ma
    01-22-09 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD