Hey guys, I've had an unlocked AT&T Bold for 3 weeks now that I bought as gift for my wife. I have an unlocked Rogers Bold that works perfectly fine.

I have the dreaded problem on the AT&T phone. Everytime I try to make a call it says "Call failed due to SIM Toolkit control error. Please try again later" followed by "SIM: Call barred".

I've searched these forums and googled everywhere. Some people say it's the sim card. We can nix that one off the list, my sim card works in my bold but not in the new one. I also replaced her sim card, same result. I've upgraded the OS, unlocked the phone again. I've basically tried everything and from searching around on the internet, there are a lot of others out there with this problem but no one has a solution! Are there any BB or RIM experts out there that can help us out?
    03-16-09 09:39 AM
    How "new" is the SIM card?
    03-16-09 09:46 AM
    The new one I bought is about 2 weeks old now. The one in my other bold is about 4 months old. Both sim cards are 3G.

I'm fairly certain its not a sim card issue since both sim cards work on my bold, but neither work on hers. Also tried a 2G sim, same result.
    03-16-09 12:28 PM
    I had same problem.

You have to switch to a 3040 sim card and use that instead, then your bold should work fine.

after spending hours talking with att, rogers and rim tech support, in the end they said they couldn't do anything. att said it is rogers network, rogers is saying its att software on the bold, rim is saying they won't swap phones because warranty is with att.

but call around your local rogers store and ask if they have a 3040 series sim card because it doesn't work on your phone. not all stores have them. i was lucky to get the last one at the retail store i went to.

good luck
    03-16-09 12:44 PM
    The 3040 didn't resolve the problem. Any experts in here?
    03-28-09 11:31 PM
    hello,
    if you will look here - http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/cal...ghlight=orange
    you will see that the only solution is by replacing the sim card - there are many suppliers/brands/series of sim cards and you will have to find the one that will work for you - i have found it out from my personal experience.
    just go to the near CS and do it over there it can take a long time/tryouts but one will work for you - try even old sim cards that they have.
    Last edited by koby ben simon; 03-29-09 at 02:38 AM.
    03-29-09 02:34 AM
    I have been searching the internet for a solution for this problem and like all forum get the usual useless crap. The, "I don't have that problem," or "that can't be happening" comments from morons that clearly like to hear themselves speak. Anyway.. sorry guys just venting at the stupidity.

So I managed to make a phone call on my Bold which has the sim toolkit error but it's not a complete solution.

Go to Settings ---> Mobile Network click "scan for available networks". My phone found the fido 2g connection. I selected it it, receive a message saying "connection succeeded" and was able to make a phone call on the 2G fido frequency. So much for not being able to select 2g on an ATT phone.

The problem is that the phone defaults back to 3G. Anyone with real technical information have an idea?

Please, no theories they are highly overrated.
    06-04-09 12:50 PM
    I have been searching the internet for a solution for this problem and like all forum get the usual useless crap. The, "I don't have that problem," or "that can't be happening" comments from morons that clearly like to hear themselves speak. Anyway.. sorry guys just venting at the stupidity.

So I managed to make a phone call on my Bold which has the sim toolkit error but it's not a complete solution.

Go to Settings ---> Mobile Network click "scan for available networks". My phone found the fido 2g connection. I selected it it, receive a message saying "connection succeeded" and was able to make a phone call on the 2G fido frequency. So much for not being able to select 2g on an ATT phone.

The problem is that the phone defaults back to 3G. Anyone with real technical information have an idea?

Please, no theories they are highly overrated.

Hello, question directed to jdichter;2730513, hope you were able to fix the att mess. I got an unlocked att bold and have a Fido 3g sim card , but can't make calls - only receive and sms. Please help, this is driving me bunkers.

my e-mail "[email protected]" and phone- 416-827-0493.
    08-16-09 09:35 PM
    ok anyone out there
    08-16-09 09:36 PM
    I believe the only solution can be done by RIM with new firmware. Because the same SIM card works very well with other 3G cell phones like Panasonic, Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc.

By the way, I am in Japan. I love my unlocked BB9000, however, with SoftBank 3G SIM Card, I can only receive calls and SMS text, but can't make a call or send any SMS message. The BB9000 shows such kind of error message: sim toolkit control error. Is there any one who can push RIM to solve this problem ? There are so many BB lovers which have been suffering such kind of things for so long time, why RIM can't release the solution ?
    08-21-09 09:59 AM
    Hi all, I am also having the same problem. According to this thread, maybe to solve this, you need to re-unlock the bold. Has anyone tried it?

forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=3484889#post3484889
    08-31-09 10:28 PM
    are you guys sure the phone is fully unlocked? options > advanced options > SIM Card, type in mepd. does everything say disabled? if something says enabled, that could be the problem.
    08-31-09 11:23 PM
    Yes, everything says disabled.
    09-01-09 08:26 AM
    the solution!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello Again,
    if you will look here - Calls Barred on AT&T/Orange Israel
    you will see that the only solution is by replacing the sim card - there are many suppliers/brands/series of sim cards and you will have to find the one that will work for you - i have found it out from my personal experience.
    just go to the near CS and do it over there it can take a long time/tryouts but one will work for you - try even old sim cards that they have
    09-01-09 08:36 AM
    Has anyone fixed this problem. I've got the same issue and am not getting any support from my Telco.

Thanks for your help.
    12-07-09 06:37 AM
    the solution!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello Again,
    if you will look here - Calls Barred on AT&T/Orange Israel
    just go to the near CS and do it over there it can take a long time/tryouts but one will work for you - try even old sim cards that they have
    Has anyone fixed this problem. I've got the same issue and am not getting any support from my Telco.

Thanks for your help.
    Did you not read the post directly above yours? Have you tried multiple SIM cards in the AT&T phone?
    12-07-09 09:38 AM
    The only other thing I could think to check besides different SIM cards is whether anything in the engineering screens is helpful, like choosing a frequency or disabling 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-09 12:01 PM
    any updates?

Just got my new phone today and so frustrated that I can't make calls.

Please post what has worked for you.
    12-17-09 10:08 PM
    I have an unlocked Bold from AT&T in Singapore. A Singtel SIM that works in every other phone I tried does not let me make calls in the Bold. I put in a SIM from StarHub instead and it works fine. They both get 3G signals. StarHub works. Singtel doesn't.
    02-13-10 05:51 AM
    I had the same problem with my unlocked AT&T bold and rogers sim card. My solution was to wipe the phone and install the 5.0 OS. Now the phone works 100% Hope this helps somebody.
    05-14-10 07:40 PM
    Hi, I encountered he same problem too.. I'm able to receive calls and sms but cannot make calls or sms when the Network Mode is in 3G & 2G.

When i set it to 2G, i'm able to make calls and sms....strange!
    06-28-10 09:13 PM
    Hey guys, I've had an unlocked AT&T Bold for 3 weeks now that I bought as gift for my wife. I have an unlocked Rogers Bold that works perfectly fine.

I have the dreaded problem on the AT&T phone. Everytime I try to make a call it says "Call failed due to SIM Toolkit control error. Please try again later" followed by "SIM: Call barred".

I've searched these forums and googled everywhere. Some people say it's the sim card. We can nix that one off the list, my sim card works in my bold but not in the new one. I also replaced her sim card, same result. I've upgraded the OS, unlocked the phone again. I've basically tried everything and from searching around on the internet, there are a lot of others out there with this problem but no one has a solution! Are there any BB or RIM experts out there that can help us out?

I too have had the same problem, My carrier is Telstra in Australia. I could not download the updates for the phone in the first instance. I took the phone to the experts. Went in to pick it up yesterday and the repairer said that they could not do anything with the phone as AT&T have encryption on the LOGO pages etc, No problem I can live with that. The funny thing was whilst we were discussing the situation about the phone, I said I would demonstrate the problem to them once again. Remembering that I could only receive calls on the 3G network but could not dial out, and always came up with the poxy "SIM card toolbox error". Anyway inserted my SIM card (by the way which is a brand new one) and presto the system worked and on the 3G network. The repairer did not know why where and how as they could not get it to work in their shop. They did not charge me because they did know what they did to get the thing going. I have just tried to send a text message and the stupid tool box error has reared its ugly head again, but only when I send a SMS.

What chance do we really have!!!

Does any one else know how to sort the same problem on the SMS side of things.
    GC
    07-05-10 08:28 PM
    Solution:

For me it was the SIM card. My AT&T unlocked BB Bold 9700 was working fine until I was told by Rogers (Canada)that my SIM card was old and needed a new one. Once I changed it I also updated my software and all of a sudden it wouldn't let me call out anymore but everything else worked. I would ge tthe same SIM TOOLKIT message. I thought I had reset something and I tried everything and nothing worked, after seeing others suggestions on this site I thought let me try the old SIM card again. Once I called Rogers and got it activated everything worked perfectly. Even the technition told me we have heard that there is problems with new SIM cards and unlocked smart phones. I was told earlier that my older SIM Card was from 2003, so if you are having that problem try an older SIM card.

Hope that helps anyone experiencing this problem.
    08-25-10 09:25 PM
    Solution:

For me it was the SIM card. My AT&T unlocked BB Bold 9700 was working fine until I was told by Rogers that my SIM card was old and needed a new one. Once I changed it I also updated my software and all of a sudden it wouldn't let me call out anymore but everything else worked. I would ge tthe same SIM TOOLKIT message. I thought I had reset something and I tried everything and nothing worked, after seeing others suggestions on this site I thought let me try the old SIM card again. Once I called Rogers and got it activated everything worked perfectly. Even the technition told me we have heard that there is problems with new SIM cards and unlocked smart phones. I was told earlier that my older SIM Card was from 2003, so if you are having that problem try an older SIM card.

Hope that helps anyone experiencing this problem.
    08-25-10 09:26 PM
    Hi guys,

So I've seen a lot of people having this problem. Follow the steps below to get it working. If you have any specific questions, message me. Make sure your phone is UNLOCKED. To check if it is unlocked, go to:

- Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card
    - Just press the letters "MEPD" (no quotation marks).
    - All the options should say "Disabled"...ALL OF THEM!

As you can see this post was put up at 2.30am Eastern Time (Canada) and I just figured out the solution. So just follow them, and you'll be golden:

- Go to Blackberry dot com. Select North America as the region.
    - Click on "Support" on the top.
    - On the left side, click on "Downloads"
    - Under the "Smartphone Software" section on the page, click on "Access your service provider download site"
    - Next, scroll down to North America, and click on "Rogers Wireless Inc".
    - On the "Rogers" page, select your device, in this case the "9700" and click next.
    - Download the first file listed: "BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1446 (Multilanguage)".
    - Fill out all your information and save the file.
    - When it is finished downloading, double click on the file and install.
    - When it's done it will ask if you want to start the blackberry desktop software ... DON'T.

- Once it's installed go to 'My Computer--> C: --> Program files --> Common Files --> Research In Motion --> Apploader

- In this folder, there is a file called "vendor.xml", ***Delete this file***

- In this folder as well is an program called "loader.exe"
    - Run this program and go through the instructions (I recommend choosing the option to backup your settings/emails etc).
    - Takes about a half hour.
    - When it's done, unplug your phone and you should be golden.

- Try making a phone call and it should work.

**No more "switch your network to 2G" or "delete the +1 country code". None of that. Follow the steps as mentioned above and it SHOULD work. If not, then PM me!! Don't hesitate. I will try to help you out.

Thanks!
    charkohl likes this.
    10-02-10 01:34 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD