Can anyone tell me how to use the Bold as a modem with a tether WITHOUT wireless? I have no IT knowledge so any specific help would be very much appreciated!
    11-20-08 08:03 PM
    11-20-08 08:35 PM
    Hey guys, I followed all the instructions to the T, and when i try to connect, it says

"verifying username and password..."

error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated

what am i doing wrong??? TIA!!!

im actually w.o internet at the house and its really important so id really appreciate it!!

Running ATT in USA obviously...
    Last edited by Rosati; 11-25-08 at 03:51 PM.
    11-25-08 03:49 PM
    Not sure what you are doing wrong but I followed a very nice tutorial on youtube which was spot on for me. Just wish I could get it to work without the cable over bluetooth or like my e71 where I could turn the phone into a wireless access point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 04:01 PM
    Anyone from usa/att? : )
    11-25-08 04:08 PM
    Anyone from usa/att? : )
    disregard any instructions on this thread. I have tried all that it works but it can get confusing with settings ect...This is all you have to do:

Download at&t connection manager
    http://www.wireless.att.com/business...CM-6.9.115.exe

Make sure you have BB Desktop manager 4.6 installed as well

Open up BB Desktop manager
    Connect Bold & make sure DM recognizes it
    Open up Connection Manager
    Wait about a minute and a half until Connection Manager connects to Phone
    Press connect and you're done.

Thats it.
    El Bori likes this.
    11-25-08 04:24 PM
    you'll need to get the $60 tether data plan.
    11-25-08 04:39 PM
    disregard any instructions on this thread. I have tried all that it works but it can get confusing with settings ect...This is all you have to do:

Download at&t connection manager
    http://www.wireless.att.com/business...CM-6.9.115.exe

Make sure you have BB Desktop manager 4.6 installed as well

Open up BB Desktop manager
    Connect Bold & make sure DM recognizes it
    Open up Connection Manager
    Wait about a minute and a half until Connection Manager connects to Phone
    Press connect and you're done.

Thats it.
    do you have a special tether plan?
    12-01-08 05:05 PM
    they told me it is $15, not $60. for $60, you can just plug in a broadband card.
    12-01-08 06:15 PM
    Can anyone tell me how to use the Bold as a modem with a tether WITHOUT wireless? I have no IT knowledge so any specific help would be very much appreciated!
    It works easily for me. The minimum you need is a GPRS activation apart from data services which can be independent of GPRS. Here is something you may find useful. I culled it from the net:
    Task 1: Install Blackberry desktop software on your computer.

Task 2:

Set up Internet APN.

1. Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    5. In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
    6. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","Your apn name"

1. Click OK.
    2. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

Task 3:

1. Go to Start>Settings>Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    5. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
    6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    9. In the Phone number field, type*99#. Click Next.
    10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    11. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    12. Click Finish.
    13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, and then click Configure.
    15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.

Task 4:

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The BlackBerry device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection

Tak 5:

Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.

Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.

1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
    2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Start>Settings>Network Connections><name of your new connection>.
    4. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider.
    5. Click Dial.
    Also what worked for me was to enter the apn name on the BB also without user name and password.
    Hope this is useful
    12-01-08 06:17 PM
    they told me it is $15, not $60. for $60, you can just plug in a broadband card.
    tethering is $60, data is $30 by them selfs, data + tethering is $60 but only on blackberrys. Any other PDA the the $60 is on top of the $30 data plan. Hope this clears up the cost issue. One more advantage of a blackberry.

-ted-
    Retail Sales Consultant at AT&T
    02-17-09 02:02 PM
    tethering is $60, data is $30 by them selfs, data + tethering is $60 but only on blackberrys. Any other PDA the the $60 is on top of the $30 data plan. Hope this clears up the cost issue. One more advantage of a blackberry.

-ted-
    Data + tethering is $60 on any smartphone($30 for data on phone + $30 for tethering) for 5GB. $40 for 50 MB($30 for data on phone + $10 for tethering).
    Last edited by FishbuIb; 02-17-09 at 02:34 PM.
    02-17-09 02:29 PM
    Data + tethering is $60 on any smartphone($30 for data on phone + $30 for tethering) for 5GB. $40 for 50 MB($30 for data on phone + $10 for tethering).
    Any smartphone phone tethering is $60.00. And air card is a 2 year contract and is $60.00. If you have a PDA type smartphoneex Iphone, BB, Tilt it is $30.00 automaticly but thats not tethering. However you can tether but don't go over 2-3 gig. If you have phone with media net thats 15 for unlimited but you cant tether and if you find a way to do it it wound not be advised. This of course is AT&T the others I don't know
    03-18-09 08:13 PM

-ted-

Really Ted, Come on please tell me your kidding, I'm also a rep at an AT&T corp. store and any PDA or blackberry to teather is $60 $30 of which is the data on the phone its self and the other $30 is for the teather pack....its not an extra 60....before you can sell the product you must know the product...sorry for any issues ted may have caused.
    03-24-09 04:42 PM
    Really Ted, Come on please tell me your kidding, I'm also a rep at an AT&T corp. store and any PDA or blackberry to teather is $60 $30 of which is the data on the phone its self and the other $30 is for the teather pack....its not an extra 60....before you can sell the product you must know the product...sorry for any issues ted may have caused.
    You just said what Ted said. He said tether + data is 60.00. He did however word his first thought kinda poorly. A 60.00 plan is 30.00 for the data and 30.00 more to add the tethering.
    03-24-09 10:28 PM
    I am hoping to connect to the net via a tether to my BBRY without paying for a tethering plan. I have BBRY unlimited data plan.

How do I know if I have a GPRS activation?

It works easily for me. The minimum you need is a GPRS activation apart from data services which can be independent of GPRS. Here is something you may find useful. I culled it from the net:
    Already had this installed and functioning.

Task 2:

Set up Internet APN.
    What does APN stand for? (Access Provider Name)?

I used "WAP.ATT" for the APN name. Initially I typed it verbatim as it appears above, as there were no other instructions otherwise. My thought was that the info may be auto filled by another application.

11. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
    Was I supposed to be given a user name and p/w by ATT?

Task 4:

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. ...

Tak 5:

Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.
    BBRY connected
    How do I know if any other data sessions are active on my BBRY? It is capable of multi-tasking, so how do you tell if sessions are running in the background?
    No Ethernet connection active on the laptop, (no cable connected to port).
    BBRY connected via USB cable.
    Laptop running WinXP.

5. Click Dial.
    Again, how do I know my username and P/W? I am not paying for a tethering plan and do not wish to.

Also what worked for me was to enter the apn name on the BB also without user name and password.
    Hope this is useful
    Where would you do this?

Anyone able to tether for free over ATT?
    Last edited by Renntag; 12-26-09 at 10:21 AM.
    12-26-09 10:18 AM
    It would be so awesome if we could turn our Blackberries into WiFi routers like Symbian phones. That would make it a true business phone!
    12-26-09 02:35 PM
    What would be MORE awesome is if we didnt have to pay extra for that functionality.
    12-26-09 02:49 PM
    I`m new to Crackberry can some one email me simple instructions on how to use my Blackberry Bold 9700? I have unlimited data with T-Mobile. Thanks a lot in advance.
    03-19-11 03:41 PM

Task 2:

Set up Internet APN.

1. Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
    3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
    4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
    5. In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.

Task 3:

1. Go to Start>Settings>Network Connections.
    2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
    3. Click Next.
    4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
    5. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
    6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
    7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box. Click Next.
    8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
    9. In the Phone number field, type*99#. Click Next.
    10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
    12. Click Finish.
    13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, and then click Configure.
    15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.

Task 4:

Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Connected. The BlackBerry device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for the modem to establish a connection

Tak 5:

5. Click Dial.
    Hope this is useful

My carrier is digicel trinidad and tobago..curve 8520..I run windows 7....I did all dat....it says connected on d desktop manager n starts countin d time....however,I hav no internet access...d icon has d little caution sign....wen I trouble shoot d connection I get
    Remote device won't accept the connection
    N I'm lik wta???
    Can anyone possibly give me a clue as to wat dat means n how to solve it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD