Hi,

I went to BlackBerry - PDA GPS - BlackBerry Maps at BlackBerry.com on my ATT Bold, but it says that BB Maps doesn't work on the ATT network.

I try and download the application, but it says that my device is not supported.

Is this true? Is there a way around this?

Thanks, Derek
    11-07-08 11:03 AM
    They say that because att wants us to use telenav. On my curve I was able to install it with dm but not ota. Maybe try that and report back as I am at work but also interested if I can use bb maps on my att bold too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by tekneakz; 11-07-08 at 12:33 PM.
    11-07-08 12:31 PM
    Definitely post back, I'm interested in this as well. This has also been discussed in some other threads

11-07-08 12:45 PM
    Once I finally get my Device registered I will try this.
    11-07-08 12:52 PM
    I just tried this on a few bolds and upcomming BB's and it's a no go. FW is blocking the app.
    11-07-08 12:54 PM
    I found a lengthy how to on getting bb maps on the curve, I will guinnea pig the bold tonight to see if it works and report back. It has to do with service books that att pushes.

11-07-08 01:51 PM
    Ok, thanks!
    11-07-08 02:16 PM
    No need on lenthy process. I have BB map working perfectly on my ATT Bold. I don't like using google map or other services because I find BB map more accurate and tells me the speed I'm traveling.

All you have to do is download s/w .168 and BB map is contained.
    11-07-08 02:41 PM
    Where can I download .168?
    11-07-08 02:42 PM
    Where can I download .168?
    i would like to know as well. I would like to have the speed im going, ect. on my maps
    11-07-08 03:37 PM
    Ok, here is the quick and easy. >Upgrade to 4.6.0.168(pm me if you don't have a link)
    >Delete "all" other maps or apps with their own maps(I deleted Google Maps and Nav4All, and some gps app that won't work with my BOLD)
    Anyway, as previously stated, upload BBMaps to your BOLD or device>I resent service books and rebooted> BBMaps are now working and are the default maps. It's worth it
    Hope this helps. If you like Google maps, you will love BBMaps.

11-07-08 05:07 PM
    Where can you get BB maps aside from BB's own website, as that seems to check your berry.

Or will it not matter if it checks your berry if you update to 168?
    11-07-08 05:45 PM
    Select BB Maps while connected thru your DM. The key is getting rid of all the other maps on the device. Yellow pages won't matter
    Because it will use the BB Maps. I upgraded as soon as I returned from the dojo around midnight the same day I purchased my BOLD -
    Monday. Also, check your pm

11-07-08 06:10 PM
    I have .168 and no bb maps

Correction: I had to load bb maps manually from DM. All is well
    Last edited by tekneakz; 11-07-08 at 06:36 PM.
    11-07-08 06:14 PM
    ATT does not support BB maps and never has ..there was a workaround for the curve posted somewhere but i dunno
    11-07-08 06:53 PM
    Bottom line is AT&T will never allow the device manufacturers to keep their Map packs on the phone as long as AT&T and TeleNav have their exclusive affiliation. That's the reason the Nokia N95 was never officially AT&T branded. Nokia wouldn't remove their map pack to allow TeleNav and AT&T said go screw. (Fact, my Nokia rep informed me)
    11-07-08 07:29 PM
    sorry for the BB newB question, but is this related to ATT Navigator? Doesn't this require the ATT monthly GPS subscription to use? Or are you guys just talking about a map browser application? I've been afraid to try the navigator function in fear i'll be charged lol.
    11-07-08 07:43 PM
    BB Maps is a different application.

I'm with you though, I have no idea what they're talking about. This is my first blackberry and the whole "connect through DM" and "service books" talk is getting me lost. I've seen it mentioned quite a bit, but I have no idea what it means. I do however have .168 at home [going to be loaded tomorrow]. After doing that, what is the rest? I can see this phone the end of my non-phone social life.
    11-07-08 11:10 PM
    So if I upgrade to .168 I can use BBmaps 100 percent? Also does BBmaps have turn by turn gps directions?

11-08-08 12:48 AM
    This is my first blackberry and the whole "connect through DM" and "service books" talk is getting me lost.
    DM is shorthand for Desktop Manager.

See the following link for everything you ever wanted to know about service books. What is a service book

Hope this helps.
    11-08-08 09:15 AM
    When I upgrade to .168, is it going to be like firmwares for every other phone and purge everything?
    11-08-08 10:56 AM
    When I upgrade to .168, is it going to be like firmwares for every other phone and purge everything?
    yeah, that's why you need to do a device backup before you upgrade o/s
    11-08-08 11:51 AM
    I would like to just make everyone in this thread aware that OS .168 is NOT an approved software version for AT&T so if you don't know what you're doing I wouldn't suggest upgrading to that version.

If you have an issue and take the phone to AT&T for service with .168 on it they will tell you that you voided your warranty by installing an unapproved software version.
    11-08-08 11:55 AM
    I prefer Google Maps over BB Maps
    11-08-08 12:07 PM
    I prefer Google Maps over BB Maps
    I second that.
    11-08-08 12:23 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD