Hey All,

Ok.. Here's my deal. Bought a new BlackBerry Bold 9000 from Rogers. Using it for approximately 48 hours. Have yet to install ANYTHING. All I have really done is browse the web and check out the preloaded media samples.

This morning I get a pop-up on the device - your "memory is is low". Use the memory tool to remove unnecessary languages.

I did that. Now I have a whopping 9 megs of "File Free" on the device out of about 97 megs of "File Total". 9 megs doesn't leave a lot of space for installing/operating apps. Browser cache is cleared too. Booourns.

So what gives? Anybody else running into this issue? Reasoning? Solution?

Not too excited at the moment!
    08-25-08 08:53 AM
    I have about 20 MB free and I have less than 10 3rd party apps installed. (MSN Messenger, Weather Eye, Google Maps, Live Search, Mini Monitor, Golf Finder, PhoneTag client)

Not sure why you would only have 9MB. I know when I updated to 4.6.0.126, I only installed three languages (English, French and Polish).

Ensure that it is not a memory leak. Pull your battery and check your application free space after the bootup.
    08-25-08 09:05 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/ Just Kidding Kevin! Man I hate to hear memory is STILL an issue.
    08-25-08 09:05 AM
    I too am finding the memory to be surprisingly low for having 128MB of flash.

My database sizes are approximately 2.9 MB total. Also, I have only installed WLM, WeatherEye and Facebook.

If I use the Bold for a short period of time (web browsing mostly), my free memory will drop to around 19MB. It's gone down as low as about 9MB after several hours of use. I've been pulling the battery several times a day because of this.

There appears to be a memory leak of some sort?

I've also had an error come up (I think it was device or app error 205) several times after a battery pull and had to pull the battery again to get it to boot properly.

Hopefully an updated OS will be released soon to fix these issues.
    08-25-08 09:12 AM
    You should delete all the language support that you don't need.

It poped up a month ago and told me to when I was running 5 things at once...so I deleted all the Arabic, Russian, Catalan stuff...

I have Viigo, Gamin, MSN, Yahoo chat, a few games I downloaded from their site and alot of documents (50 ish for work)

Is that alot or no?
    08-25-08 09:18 AM
    Which OS version are you running drb227?
    08-25-08 09:19 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/ Just Kidding Kevin! Man I hate to hear memory is STILL an issue.
    PT, Kevin almost banned you for that. LOL
    08-25-08 09:22 AM
    Which OS version are you running drb227?
    I'm running 4.6.0.125, which is what was on it when I got it on Friday.
    08-25-08 09:26 AM
    HAHA.. I was WAITING for somebody to post that link. Didn't have to to wait long.

Yeah, definitely seems to be something eating at memory here. It's one thing for the hardcore users to run into issues, cause welll... we put on tons of schtuff on and mess em up. But this device has been treated like a total newborn so far - shouldn't be running into these issues.

Re: App Error 205. Funny. I ran into that the other night too. Device started to slow down all of a sudden.... normally it's lightning fast. I made sure apps were (media player, etc.)....but it wasn't speeding up. Did a double soft reboot first. When the device restarted, I got like 6 error messages once it loaded up (like uncaught exception stuff) and found my top row of icons were missing! So from there I did a battery pull. This time I got the white screen app error when it was loading. Did another battery pull, and then it came up operating fine once again (and super fast as it should be).
    08-25-08 09:33 AM
    HAHA.. I was WAITING for somebody to post that link. Didn't have to to wait long.

Yeah, definitely seems to be something eating at memory here. It's one thing for the hardcore users to run into issues, cause welll... we put on tons of schtuff on and mess em up. But this device has been treated like a total newborn so far - shouldn't be running into these issues.

Re: App Error 205. Funny. I ran into that the other night too. Device started to slow down all of a sudden.... normally it's lightning fast. I made sure apps were (media player, etc.)....but it wasn't speeding up. Did a double soft reboot first. When the device restarted, I got like 6 error messages once it loaded up (like uncaught exception stuff) and found my top row of icons were missing! So from there I did a battery pull. This time I got the white screen app error when it was loading. Did another battery pull, and then it came up operating fine once again (and super fast as it should be).
    Yup, I'm having the exact same issues as you, Kevin.

How do I remove additional languages? I don't have the OS to install and it's not yet available on Rogers' website.
    08-25-08 09:35 AM
    Did you happen to notice what your out of the box memory was?

Judging by the 8330, I would expect over 64 Mb at first startup.

It appears the 9000 OS has the same structure as the previous verisions, I would expect CrackMem to work correctly.
    08-25-08 09:39 AM
    The device actually prompted me to delete unused languages when the memory got low. It put a pop up window on the display and I just followed the instructions. I don't see a menu option anywhere to initiate that yourself.

Might be there though and I'm just not seeing it... anybody ???
    08-25-08 09:40 AM
    Did you happen to notice what your out of the box memory was?

Judging by the 8330, I would expect over 64 Mb at first startup.

It appears the 9000 OS has the same structure as the previous verisions, I would expect CrackMem to work correctly.
    I was expecting the same thing in terms of how much free memory there would have been at startup but I think I was at around 29MB after the first power on but can't remember for sure.

I was wondering if maybe OS 4.6 is much larger than previous OSes?
    08-25-08 09:43 AM
    The device actually prompted me to delete unused languages when the memory got low. It put a pop up window on the display and I just followed the instructions. I don't see a menu option anywhere to initiate that yourself.

Might be there though and I'm just not seeing it... anybody ???
    Maybe I should just let my Bold's memory drop to the point where I get the same prompt?
    08-25-08 09:44 AM
    Yup, I'm having the exact same issues as you, Kevin.

How do I remove additional languages? I don't have the OS to install and it's not yet available on Rogers' website.
    Follow the link above
    08-25-08 10:14 AM
    Mines showing as 20.4MB free - as for custom apps installed, I have Google Maps, Facebook and a Poker odds calculator.

I upgraded to .126 and only installed the English (UK) language.
    08-25-08 10:36 AM
    I had a problem with loading a page in the browser.. and everything became slow. After exiting a little later I got the App Error 205 message
    08-25-08 12:37 PM
    I have the same problem with 4.5.0 Rom on my 8100. It will ask me to del unused langrage. But for the 4.6.0 on Bold? That is kind of......
    I wonder what they have improve for the Bold
    08-25-08 01:20 PM
    Hi All,

For those running google maps, are you having any problems with it? Mine hangs at 90% asking me to ALLOw or DENY an application permission and then it just crashes. I'm on a BES and BIS. I've found very little on this topic except one guy who states you require SP6 on BES and a mod to the app permission. Can't get it to work. HELP!!!
    08-25-08 01:46 PM
    My Bold is now at 4MB free memory. It's shocking how fast the free memory drops. It's been about 5 hours since I last did a battery pull.
    08-25-08 02:37 PM
    You will soon see the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH...and RED LED..
    08-25-08 02:37 PM
    This does not sound good about this memory issue. I figured with 128 MB, there should no issues. I may be taking CX advice on the 256MB Javelin/Niagra or whatever they will call it for At&t.
    08-25-08 02:44 PM
    Sorry to hear this Kevin, what a disappointment!
    08-25-08 03:00 PM
    You will soon see the BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH...and RED LED..
    Aw man, you are cruel. LOL
    08-25-08 03:06 PM
    wow I cant believe this. I have absolutely no memory probs with my 8330 curve from VZW and this has about 30mb more than my curve and you guys are getting memory problems already?!?!?! WTF is going on right now
    08-25-08 03:08 PM
89 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD