View Poll Results: Do you believe there should be rules of BlackBerry etiquette/use?

Voters
740. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

358 48.38%
  • No

183 24.73%
  • Maybe

199 26.89%
    On the Fifth Day of CrackBerry,
    my favorite site gave to me,
    Five Bluetooth Headsets

To be entered for your chance to win this prize, reply to this post and
    Tell us your favorite story about a rude BlackBerry user (or post your rules of BB etiquette).

Prize Details: Only the best! Your choice of either Aliph's Jawbone Bluetooth headset or Blueant's Z9 Bluetooth headset.

Visit the 12 Days of CrackBerry Site for Full Contest Details.

Prize Sponsored by: ShopCrackBerry.com
    12-10-07 03:07 AM
    Well, rules would have to be defined by each individual person, it's not like theirs a book out there that's selling point is "How To Use Your Berry With Etiquette"..then again maybe....lol..hmm ideas,ideas...anyways back to the point here, I think rules break down to common sense really say for example my BB messenger says that I'm busy/unavailable, I really hope that people don't message me during that time, cause obviously I'm busy/unavailable to talk...but man some people just don't get some things, since I work for AT&T I get to hear people all day long talk about their issues with their BB devices, this one guy called up was having problems with 1 of his 3 blackberry devices, so I began to work on the issue for him to get it all sorted out, the whole time I was needing to get him to verify some information for me ..ie..email addresses, PINS..etc every 2 secs, the guy would place me on hold go talk on one of his other berrys and come back, the first couple of times I was cool with it, but around the foruth or fifth time in doing so (me still unable to help him due to lack of info)...he came back on the line and asked "You got that fixed yet?" to which I was able to reply "Sorry sir I need to get some"....back on hold...this continued for a while each time him getting more and more mad that his other berry was not working but still continuing to place me on hold so he may do things on his other berry devices, it reached a point where I abruptly asked him to stop being rude, provide me with the information that I needed to assist him with it or he may just hang up the phone and call back when he was more prepared to deal with the issue....seems as though some people don;t realize that they are being rude in their BB usage sometimes until it gets pointed out to them.
    12-10-07 03:20 AM
    BB ettiquette should be done for yourself. Like I try hard to pretend to listen to boring people while on my BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-07 03:52 AM
    i would say that an example of blackberry etiquette would be to not talk about a person while they are venting to you...to your friends on the bb messenger at the same time lol
    12-10-07 04:30 AM
    BB ettiquette should be done for yourself. Like I try hard to pretend to listen to boring people while on my BB
    I agree with you...
    12-10-07 04:42 AM
    Like cell phones, they should not be used in restaurants, meetings, etc. and ringers should be turned off at such, etc.
    12-10-07 04:44 AM
    I get yelled at, at school for using it
    12-10-07 05:34 AM
    i was at a funeral and pulled my curve out to turn it off so that it wouldn't ring. A family member told me to put it away with an angry face because he knows of my addiction. I quickly explained to him that i was just turning it off so that it wouldn't ring and he was ok. I felt bad!
    12-10-07 05:40 AM
    There are certain times any phone, not just the berry, should be not in use. (Movies, eating out, special occasions...)
    My main thing is the txt talk, some things are ok to shorten but blah, I can not stand it when it is all most every word shortened
    12-10-07 06:32 AM
    My wife uses her BB while in bed... she should be focusing her attention elsewhere!
    12-10-07 06:56 AM
    I was in the middle of sending out a mass txt message setting up a golf trip and ran right into the back of a truck. I got so scared when I hit the truck that I went to jam on the breaks and ended up steppinig on the gas again, so I hit him again. I know, Im a douuuuche. Oh well CRACKberry strikes again.
    12-10-07 07:29 AM
    I don't use mine during dinner, not even to answer the phone. And i don't use it at work if i'm with a patient. Other than that i use common sense.
    12-10-07 08:10 AM
    Never use your BB While driving. Except for phone calls.
    12-10-07 08:13 AM
    I feel they should be used when around non BB users. When we are around "our own" they can be thrown out of the window!!! Now join me in the BB prayer

12-10-07 08:13 AM
    I feel they should be used when around non BB users. When we are around "our own" they can be thrown out of the window!!! Now join me in the BB prayer

I just busted up laughing! You so rock my socks!

I love using mine around the none BB, oh the looks of envy.
    12-10-07 08:27 AM
    dont use it while your at a restaurant and if you have to just make your way to the bathroom or go outside to answer calls and of course dont drive and BB at the same time. Thats a NoNO !!
    12-10-07 08:27 AM
    Never reply to emails during a business meeting. Set up profile to quite or turn off the radio.
    12-10-07 08:33 AM
    NEVER crack and drive!

Situations in need of BlackBerry discretion:
    - Whenever you are in a line, and you are the person being dealt with, especially if there are people behind you.
    - Whenever you are interacting with a service professional, such as a doctor, delivery person, etc...
    - On a date. Seriously. Unless your date has a BlackBerry, too, and even then you should probably leave them put away.
    12-10-07 08:41 AM
    Using it while someone is talking to you is a real fight starter.
    12-10-07 09:02 AM
    In the hands of an educated user, the Blackberry can be a powerful tool. All tools need to be used with the proper skill and etiquette. Before my BB, I almost ran into the back of a truck....twice....while on my windows mobile device. I believe the blackberry actually DECREASES these types of possibilities as they are the most efficient devices out there so you can accomplish the sames tasks faster.
    12-10-07 09:13 AM
    i think the bigest rule that needs to be enforce is no typing or web surfing while driving
    12-10-07 09:23 AM
    I never use mine when I am putting my son to bed that is our time to read a book or do mommy and me time. I think he appreciates it!
    12-10-07 09:24 AM
    Rules schmules... who needs 'em???

Just use common sense and good judgement.
    12-10-07 09:52 AM
    The Golden Rule....Do Unto Others...the thing should have been taught to more of us, then we wouldn't have to be having this discussion.
    12-10-07 10:16 AM
    haha...BB prayer! Rules are good. I think there may be unwritten etiquette. Like the other day, I was at the grocery store and I was using BB messenger, and the guy in front of me, pulled out his BB and checked it...looked at me, and gave me the nod, like he understands this silly addiction.
    12-10-07 10:24 AM
721 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD