I have a newly purchased pearl 8120. I must say Tmobile's customer service knows very little about wifi calling, and I have spoken to several reps. I figured the Crackberry regulars may know a bit more. First of all, is the tmobile linksys router absolutely necessary? I have a netgear router and although I have 3 bars of UMA service the call quality isn't perfect. If I unplug the router the phone does not immediately switch to GSM and the call is dropped. I have the phone set to "wifi preferred." Are there some settings that need to be adjusted on the router? Is there a reason the call quality should be less than perfect? Tmobile said their router will only transmit voice and I will still have to keep my old router for my pc to transmit data. This does not make sense to me. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Any help would be appreciated.
    05-31-08 03:23 PM
    The T-Mobile router just has some tweaks to ensure that UMA is given priority over other bandwidth allocation. What type of Netgear router do you have? You should also make sure that you go into the settings for the saved wifi profile you are using on your BB and set it to allow inter-access point handover.
    05-31-08 03:32 PM
    It is wgr614 v5 802.11b/g I checked it to allow inter-access point handover. Thanks for the tip. Are there any settings I need to change on the router's setup? Is Tmobile's router a better choice or is it just not necessary? Would the call quality be any different with their router?
    05-31-08 03:43 PM
    The inter-access point setting applies if you have repeaters in your Wifi network. When set, it allow your device to use the strongest signal but still just Wifi.

I have seen some recomended setting to optimize for UMA. In the router configuration page, Advanced wireless settings:

Beacon Interval: 50
    Fragmentation Threshold: 2304
    RTS Threshold: 2304

The default beacon interval was 100 ms, this may help with call quality.

You mention dropping a call when you shut down the router. That may be an exteme case, how does your handover work when you physicaly move out of range? That should be a seamless handover.
    05-31-08 03:54 PM
    Tmo also says that if you have a complex set up, anything that is connected before the router, ie; ip gateways, other routers, ipsec servers ect ect... you need to punch holes for the UMA connected router. Specificly port 500 and 4500.

There was great confusion when I asked this, they ended up finding out for me though. They couldn't under stand my set up at my home until they figured out I was working over covad and primus t-3's. They guaranteed me that if I ever had service issues, it was not due to lack of bandwidth.
    05-31-08 04:37 PM
    I don't see an option to change the beacon interval, rts threshold, or fragmentation threshold. Is it possible that there is no option to change it?
    05-31-08 05:13 PM
    I haven't taken the phone out of range of the router as it works on the entire floor.
    05-31-08 05:14 PM
    I use wifi at work, at home and when I visit family (uma due to having the 8320)...

It should work with any router, but the linksys one from tmobile has tweaks such as bandwith (as noted above) and personal encryption system for your phone to router (the key on the front)...

The only reason I got the router is because it was 30 dollars now... And I didn't have one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 10:55 PM
    Reed,

Quick question, I am having similar problems with the same router. Is the beacon interval related to the Preamble (short or long)? there is no option to setup the beacon interval

Thanks
    11-05-09 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD