Anyone else having problems with the new Otterbox defender membrane and using the trackball on the VZW Pearl?

I set my trackball sensitivity to 100 but that didn't help either. Suggestions solicited.
    Right now I am using the otterbox without the membrane.
    02-29-08 05:14 PM
    Hey Drew,

I just got mine yesterday too and I am wondering if you took that little sticker off of the trackball access hole? I thought it was supposed to work with it on at first myself because it doesn't say a word about it in the instructions, but if you look at the pictures they have all been removed before installation and after unpacking.

I had to work a bit to get the residue of of the membrane after taking those stickers off, but it did come clean after a bit of rubbing. Now I find no problem using the trackball as I did before.

I have a question for you. Does your pearl get put into sleep mode when holstered in this case? Mine does not seem to get activated unless I add a stronger magnet. I am wondering if it is just me?

Eli
    03-01-08 01:28 PM
    "I have a question for you. Does your pearl get put into sleep mode when holstered in this case? Mine does not seem to get activated unless I add a stronger magnet. I am wondering if it is just me?"

I also have the same problem with sleep mode. If I put the phone in the case backward sleep mode does work. That seems to indicate that the phone settings are correct. I would guess that the magnet is not strong enough. Sometimes it will go into sleep mode when drawing from the new holster.

(my first post, howdy!)
    03-03-08 11:48 AM
    "I have a question for you. Does your pearl get put into sleep mode when holstered in this case? Mine does not seem to get activated unless I add a stronger magnet. I am wondering if it is just me?"

I also have the same problem with sleep mode. If I put the phone in the case backward sleep mode does work. That seems to indicate that the phone settings are correct. I would guess that the magnet is not strong enough. Sometimes it will go into sleep mode when drawing from the new holster.

(my first post, howdy!)
    Welcome paysonw!

Actually from what I have read you are supposed to holster it with the screen facing inward like you say. This is for the magnet and to protect the screen as well I think. Mine didn't activate the sleep mode even when put in this way but I think it is my handheld, not the case that is the problem. I decided to just glue those extra magnets on and now it's all good.

Eli
    03-03-08 09:55 PM
    Thanks, yes I understand how it is to be holstered. I was putting the phone in backwards as a for troubleshooting. But it does work well to set it in backward when not wearing the holster, on my desk or at home. It makes it easier to check the LED and you can pick the phone up and put it back one handed.

Crackberry.com is amazing for all this great info!
    03-04-08 11:36 AM
    Bummer. I really want to find a good case but was skeptical about the 'membrane' and about how the trackball was supposed to work on this case.

The pictures on their site look so inviting but Phew I'm glad I didn't spend $50 on this thing = with all the problems everyone has already had I wonder did anyone at otterbox actually test the thing on a real physical 8130?

I'm beginning to lose faith in humanity being able to produce a good simple case for my pearl..
    03-04-08 11:50 AM
    I got my 8130 case Monday and absolutely love it! Here are some issues and the solutions I have.

1) If you have a complete set of BodyGuardz in place it is a very tight fit with the membrane... I modified the OtterBox membrane to work, message me for the details.

2) My membrane had an imperfection on the portion that covers the screen, I called OtterBox, and they are sending me a new one at no charge!

3) The magnet in the holster was not strong enough to put my phone into standby mode, I saw some previous posts and saw that OtterBox was making new ones. I told the very nice customer service rep, and she said she would send me the new one as soon as they were available (she estimated 2-3 weeks).

Unbelievable product... Fantastic customer support... very rare these days, granted it is a high end product, you get what you pay for!

Worth the money for sure!

Dan
    Last edited by Medic411; 03-04-08 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typos
    03-04-08 11:57 AM
    Otterbox for 8130 is a well made product, ,excellent fitting. However, I do have the same lack of "sleep" function. I will call and see if they will replace the magnet. The phone itself works fine. The otterbox membrane is very nice, the plastic shell and rubber armour are excellent. Well designed. I work in a harsh environment, and it helps very much. With a magnet fix, this Otterbox gets a 10/10. PS, make sure to use the slight dish soap technique to adhere the membrane to the screen - it is invisible if you do this. Cheers!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-08 02:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD