yup, i also had this problem, this IM+ is just bad news. I was lucky enough to be able to get a full reinstall on my BB, so it's up and running again, but still.
    04-11-08 06:40 AM
    [ Admin Note: Please Read Admin's Post on this Topic ]

Hahaha so its a $50 phone bricker?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Today, for one day only it will only cost $25 to brick your phone. :-b $50 to me for an IM program is too much. Even at $25 it is too much. Your phone comes with BB Messenger and if u have AIM just get the free AIM program. If you have multiple accounts for each IM program, perhaps $50 would be better spent on a speaking to a professional about this addiction. For me personally I'd rather spend $50 on a PS3 game or $25 on Rockband song downloads. >;-b
    Last edited by CrackBerry Kevin; 04-11-08 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Admin Link Added
    04-11-08 11:24 AM
    IM + bricked my pearl too...luckily this site helped me reinstall the OS....
    04-11-08 02:14 PM
    Thanks to all for this thread. Saved me some aches and pains.

Question for those that use(d) the program:

What's the deal with the 'credits' you need to buy? I was reading the post about the discount and was studying the features. The couple lines about buying credits confused me.

You need to pay each time you use this program? Doesn't seem like a great feature, unless I'm missing something.
    04-11-08 02:43 PM
    [ Admin Note: Please Read Admin's Post on this Topic ]

Guess I'm the latest to fall victim to this scam. Wish I would have seen this thread first. Crackberry.com: you would be wise to remove this BS ad before more users brick their phones. TO ANY WHO ARE CONSIDERING I WILL REPEAT WHAT OTHERS HAVE SAID: DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS PROGRAM. IT WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE.
    Last edited by CrackBerry Kevin; 04-11-08 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Admin Link Added
    04-11-08 03:09 PM
    Thanks to all for this thread. Saved me some aches and pains.

Question for those that use(d) the program:

What's the deal with the 'credits' you need to buy? I was reading the post about the discount and was studying the features. The couple lines about buying credits confused me.

You need to pay each time you use this program? Doesn't seem like a great feature, unless I'm missing something.
    The credits are for discounted text messaging, not for using the instant messaging. You pay the credits and it's like texting for 5 cents, cheaper than what providers charge which is usually 15 cents and up.
    04-11-08 03:35 PM
    I agree with Mercc79: If you read this thread and know about all the problems being described, why in the world would Crackberry.com want to participate in advertising a program that's likely going to brick a bunch of phones???
    04-11-08 05:40 PM
    I agree with Mercc79: If you read this thread and know about all the problems being described, why in the world would Crackberry.com want to participate in advertising a program that's likely going to brick a bunch of phones???
    I thought the same thing about RIM itself, I got the link for IM+ through a BB Owners Lounge email!
    04-11-08 05:42 PM
    Regarding Friday, April 11, 2008 IM+ Promotion. Please Read

Hey All!

GEEEZ. Not a Good Thing!! Ok, I just came across this thread and just pulled the blog post/forum announcement on this promotion. Few things here:

a) As soon as I saw this thread (came across another thread just now where a user was having an issue), I pulled the blog post/forum announcement. I never want to see anybody nuke their BlackBerry, that's for certain.

As stated in the blog post on the promotion, this was a one-day only promotion carried throughout several BlackBerry online software stores that normally carry this title (many sites offered this special pricing today, not just ShopCrackBerry), so it wasn't a shopcrackberry-only/initiated promotion. The intent here is obviously to pass on the savings of what is typically a well-reviewed BlackBerry application, NOT to nuke anybody's BlackBerry!

b) Send an email to [email protected] They are the publisher of the title and are the official tech support for that application when purchased via the store. You should let them know of the difficulty so they can address it on their end. Shape Services is a very respected company from my knowledge.

c) If your BlackBerry was unlucky and got "nuked" from the software, which I hope it's not, but it sounds like for whatever reason that's something that can/has happened here, the worst case scenario/FIX is going to be to reload the OS. Instructions for doing this are located here: BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry

d) This is one of the things I have never come to fully understand yet with the BB. An application can install on a 1,000 devices without issue, and then on 1,001 you can run into this kind of problem. I'm not sure what's causing it here for some people with IM+. Low mem issues? Conflicting 3rd party app? Is it getting installed onto Beta OS's? The BBOS really needs to have more checks and balances put in place on it. It seems from what I have read so far it's been 8130s that have troubles - has anybody else experienced difficulty?? Is it a CDMA/4.3 thing here??

e) If anybody experiences difficulties with their purchase today, please contact our Software Customer Service Support with the difficulty and your email address/order #. They will of course issue a full refund if requested.

Again, I really am sorry for your frustrations. I've used this application personally with great success, as have many others. If I had known that others have had this kind of issue with the app in advance, I would have not promoted it. We're here for the long haul and to service the BlackBerry community. Issues can always arise with any software app, but we're not here to make a few short term sales at the expense of our long-term commitment. Again, the intent here was to pass on the savings of what is typically a well-reviewed software application.

In the future, PLEASE don't hesitate to contact me immediately if you ever see something like this that I've apparently missed seeing!

Thanks for the understanding,

Kevin
    04-11-08 09:20 PM
    Thanks Kevin, I'm glad this issue is getting the attention it deserves
    04-11-08 09:22 PM
    Thanks for the quick response Kevin, I love CB!!
    04-11-08 09:57 PM
    It did it to me too. That endless white hourglass screen. I was able to restore the OS but not without having my heart sink when my screen got stuck on the white hourglass. Strange, I have used IM+ on the Palm Treo and MotoQ in the past. Always had good luck with it. Not going near it now.

Fwiw, I have an 8130 on vzw.
    04-11-08 10:00 PM
    I wonder if it is related to CDMA devices... I have used IM+ on many GSM BB devices, from 7190 to 8700, 8800 to Curve, Pearl to 8110, with different OS versions and never had a single issue like in this post.

Currently using it on two 8110, one running 4.3, the other running 4.5 OS and a 8310, with 4.2 OS as well.
    04-11-08 10:01 PM
    Yeah, thanks a bunch Kevin. I in no way wanted to sound like this was a Crackberry.com problem. Though I am new to posting, I have lurked and learned much from this site. I am getting ready to take the necessary steps to revive my Pearl. Again, thanks for the response and for all the useful info here.
    04-11-08 10:12 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD