Hey All:

So how about that new Google Maps, huh? Pretty sweet

But it seems that the blue dot keeps flashing (meaning GM doesn't see the onboard GPS) and I only get an "approximate" location. I have a data plan and enabled GPS, but I still the flashing blue dot rather than the solid. Does anyone get the solid blue dot on a 8130 with GPS enabled?

Thanks!
    12-03-07 04:54 PM
    Im not sure that the flashing blue dot means that your phones GPS is not being recognized. I use Google Maps all the time and when i select GO TO MY LOCATION, it shows a blue flashing dot and its EXACTLY where i am at at that moment so i wouldnt worry.
    12-03-07 05:29 PM
    It only works from the triangulation of your cell providers towers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-07 06:26 PM
    Yeah, I thought that too, but it often puts the dot a good 5-6 blocks from where I am. My Blackberry Maps with GPS finds me exactly. So that's why I thought I am still getting the co-location on Google Maps instead of the real GPS result.
    12-03-07 06:28 PM
    It is my understanding that Google maps does not need to use GPS. It works through the towers and signal location. It is enhanced when you do have GPS. The blue dot is for GPS know location and the flashing with circle is approximate location when it can not be determined. Hope this helps. Cool thing is it is free. Mine works well some times and other times I have been up to 5 miles off. Guess this is why it is just a beta.
    12-03-07 06:31 PM
    Is there a way to have it work with the integrated GPS? My Location puts me off by a mile usually.. since I am in the country most of the time, it is ok... not perfect, but still there are only so many roads around..
    12-03-07 07:50 PM
    Wegmans, that's the same question I have. Since the results are so far off, I'm thinking it isn't using the integrated GPS. But the only option I found is to enable bluetooth GPS units, not integrated. Maybe they will fix this in an update...
    12-03-07 08:09 PM
    Wegmans, that's the same question I have. Since the results are so far off, I'm thinking it isn't using the integrated GPS. But the only option I found is to enable bluetooth GPS units, not integrated. Maybe they will fix this in an update...
    Right!? We paid for a phone with GPS in it.. I'm assuming it is the real GPS...
    Why does it not work with integrated? Can anyone speculate if there will ever be a way to unlock it? $10 a month is a lot to pay for VZNav! If I pay that then can i use it with GMAps?
    12-04-07 01:53 AM
    As someone else mentioned, it it by triangulation supposedly. Has been my experience thus far that it is actually using the nearest cell tower, and not triangulating.

VZW locks down functionality of all their phones. The GPS is there for e911 purposes only, or other pay VZW services, it is not used by Google Maps.
    12-04-07 09:17 AM
    Shaggy is right. As for now, you can only use the GPS feature (with Verizon) with VZ Nav. To my knowledge no one has found a way around this.

As for Gmap, yeah it is cool. I dled last night but it showed my location about a mile off. Good thing i knew where i really was
    12-08-07 11:14 AM
    I stumbled across this, but it works. I bought a new Sprint 8130 about a week ago and put Google maps (I believe it was 2.0) on it. I was only able to get the tower triangulation working, and was kind of bummed about that, but figured it's close enough. Today I realized that the dial function was not working in the search results which really bummed me out as I used that all the time on my Windows mobile phone. I decided to rip and reinstall the app to see if that would fix the dialing issue as I had just updated to the newer version of the OS SW to fix another bug related to installing apps with the Desktop Manager (stay with me here). When I went to the Google maps DL, I noticed it was version 2.0.1, just barely newer than what I had originally installed. After installing the newest version, dialing and actual GPS work flawlessly.

Keep in mind that I don't know whether or not the newer version of the BB OS had anything to do with it, but I would suggest installing that anyway as it addresses the error message you get when trying to install most any SW with the Desktop Manager.

I am officially in love with this phone now.
    12-10-07 11:13 PM
    I installed the google maps on my 8830 w/ vzw and it gets my approx location correct, and everytime I hit ZOOM IN to move closer to the map it zooms out and i can't figure out why, it says hit 0 to zoom out when i do it just re centers my current location.

who knows but it looks way better than the Maps software that comes pre installed.
    12-10-07 11:26 PM
    Well i can confirm that the newer version 2.001 or whatever does not enable the internal GPS, contrary to Craigh's suggestion. Perhaps his sprint version would work on our Verizon phones? Can anyone suggest anything?
    12-11-07 08:31 PM
    Ok everyone so heres the break down the new OS and the newest GM will work with GPS!! BUT and listen when I say this, if you do not have the Verizon GPS it won't work, Unless you go out and purchase a Bluetooth GPS receiver then it will. Now the prices on these recievers as we all know range from 70.00 to 500.00 depending on the quality of reciever you wish to have. Me personally I spent around 200.00 on mine and hooked it up in my car cause thats the only place I'm gonna use the dang thing and it was within 50 feet while moving 70 down the highway. Verizon has blocked the GPS function in the new Pearl except for the e911 function and to my knowledge there is no way of going around it. But just wait I'm sure after a bit someone awhole lot smarter than the rest of us will figure it out and we will have it all!!
    12-11-07 08:56 PM
    Ok everyone so heres the break down the new OS and the newest GM will work with GPS!! BUT and listen when I say this, if you do not have the Verizon GPS it won't work

You mean if i DO have Verizon it WON'T work, right?

I have the newest Verizon OS release as well as the newest GMaps 2.0.1
    but it still doesn't work for me

Plus I am paying for VZNav for a month to test it out, and am less than satisfied. I always get connection errors, as well as ones telling me to restart the program. Works about 1/10 of the time, but finds me very accurately..
    12-12-07 02:04 AM
    I just began a trial, also. My initial thoughts are that, as compared to Google's maps, VZ's maps are quite subpar. In addition, I cannot find any way to have Google Maps recognize the internal GPS (the list is limited to "Bluetooth GPS"). It's a shame that the Pearl has this technology, but Verizon limits it as such.

Edit: I downloaded the newest version of Google Maps (the .1 variant), and it removed "Bluetooth GPS" from the program main menu. Did anyone encounter this? Or is this something special with software on Verizon units?
    Last edited by AdamCKach; 12-12-07 at 06:43 AM.
    12-12-07 06:23 AM
    The verizon nav program doesn't like using goggle maps to look for your location, it likes its own stupid program. Thats why instead of paying Ver. 10 bucks a fraking month I bought my own Bluetooth GPS reciever and GM will link perfectly to it and work like a charm. But I'd rather drop 100.00 to 200.00 bucks now rather than 240.00 over the course of two years. Verizon made it so that the GPS only works well with thier stuff. Thats why I got my own gear and the Bluetooth GPS receiver works better than the phones anyways. With the phone I had issues getting a good location while moving. With the seperate GPS I never have issues. Well worth the money!!
    Last edited by sambofl; 12-12-07 at 06:25 PM.
    12-12-07 06:22 PM
    I just began a trial, also. My initial thoughts are that, as compared to Google's maps, VZ's maps are quite subpar. In addition, I cannot find any way to have Google Maps recognize the internal GPS (the list is limited to "Bluetooth GPS"). It's a shame that the Pearl has this technology, but Verizon limits it as such.

Edit: I downloaded the newest version of Google Maps (the .1 variant), and it removed "Bluetooth GPS" from the program main menu. Did anyone encounter this? Or is this something special with software on Verizon units?
    Verizon put this in the pearl to try to force consumers to purchase thier GPS instead which is well, you know complete junk!! And as far as the Bluetooth option not being thier, I know alot of people who tryed searching for one with the last version and could not find one couldn't turn the dang search off and were forced to delete GM and reload, don't worry you will see it again soon I'm sure.
    12-12-07 06:30 PM
    I installed the google maps on my 8830 w/ vzw and it gets my approx location correct, and everytime I hit ZOOM IN to move closer to the map it zooms out and i can't figure out why, it says hit 0 to zoom out when i do it just re centers my current location.

who knows but it looks way better than the Maps software that comes pre installed.
    I use 1 and 3 to zoom in and out-- 0 is for finding your current location I think.
    12-12-07 07:23 PM
    The new GMaps reverts back to the menu that was pre- 2.0,
    you can tell by the fact that the menu opens in the upper RIGHT hand of your screen, not the lower right, like usual...

I pay for VZNAV and man its so crappy i would never suggest anyone pay for it. It seldom works, for example I had to go 10 miles at around 40 miles an hour, i put in the address, and it kept giving me error messages, like restart the program, connection problem, all while i was at LEAST 3 bars EVDO..
    at mile 8 it finally connected, but seriously, if your job depended on you arriving at a place, you'd be out of luck!!

I would not recommend anyone rely on Verizon's software.. you'd think if we're paying for it, it would be excellent! It's OK when it works, but very sub-par..

i'm trying it out for a month, then asking for my money back. I have almost nothing positive to say for it! You can't multitask with it, the program shuts off if you try to do something else!
    12-12-07 10:38 PM
    I just installed GM 2.0.1 and can confirm that the internal GPS now works (it now states that the blue dot is accurate to within 20 meters).

Thanks craigh1!
    12-13-07 12:44 AM
    FTR, I've had very few issues with VZ Nav. Yeah, I can't get a GPS location if I'm cruising down the highway at 60mph. Big deal, I can afford to pull over for a minute or two to get a location fix. Also, if you use the application switcher (press alt+escape), you can multitask with VZ Nav. The end key closes the program, the app switcher puts it in the background (I have the app switcher mapped to my left soft key). But hey, that's just my experience with the program, and I've found it much better than Google Maps or Live Search.

ETA: If the blue dot is flashing, it's still not using the internal GPS, but rather cell tower triangulation - without regard to how accurate it may be.
    Last edited by shemmy; 12-13-07 at 09:06 AM.
    12-13-07 08:58 AM
    has any one thought of filing a complaint with the FCC or looked into any antitrust laws.
    12-30-07 12:48 PM
    depends on your carrier and model. pearl can't use GPS on GM and for Verizon, only the Storm can utilize its GPS for google maps. this is a Verizon thing. they won't unlock it for other models (even if device is GPS enabled).
    04-18-09 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD