My problem seems to be different than most and I hope someone can shed some lights into this situation. My brother purchased an unlocked Suncom blackberry 8120 with 523 error on the screen. Since we don't know it's history or care for retaining contents on the phone, we used JL_Cmdr to wipe out the phone. This leads to error 507 which we wanted. We have installed Desktop Manager 4.6 and also Orange BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.75. During the install of software, this blackberry would load up softwares until net_rim_bb_options_app.cod and then installation would abruptly stopped and Desktop manager would indicate there is a fatal error that occured. The blackberry would boot up and shows the error 523 again.

Edit: We have tried version 4.22 Desktop Manager as well as handheld software from Suncom v4.3.0.135 but nothing works. And yes, we have deleted the vendor file from the apploader folder.

I have tried going to edit platform.alx file under c:/program files/common files/Research In Motion/shared/loader files/8120-v4.5.0.52_P2.7.0.66 and deleted net_rim_bb_options_app.cod and retried again the above mentioned process but blackberry continued to stop at the next cod file on the list and displayed same fatal error and error 523 on the BB.

I have tried taking out the battery, plug into usb and used the loader.exe under the apploader folder but same result occured.

Sorry for the long post but I just want to give detailed steps that I have tried and hope someone can shed some light to revive this phone.

thanks
    Last edited by nartac; 09-05-08 at 04:11 PM.
    09-05-08 04:03 PM
    09-05-08 04:09 PM
    Sunkast,

Thanks for the reply and the links. I have read all those links but if you have read my post, I have tried all the suggested steps and my situation is not the same as others .

I have that error during installation of new OS.
    09-05-08 04:16 PM
    Can anyone help?
    09-07-08 05:13 PM
    It's ALIVE!!!

Well after lots of messing around we finally got the new OS installed on my brother's 8120 without DM showing there is a fatal error during installation and BB showing error 523.

What we found was that if we left the file platform.alx as is, the error comes up during installation and fatal install error is indicated by DM.

I also noticed that this fatal error as indicated by DM and errors on the BB is caused during installation of certain cod files. I tested to see what happens to the BB if I omit some of the cod installation and noticed DM would skip those cod installation with a result of showing different error code on the BB (I got one as error 200 and another something else I can't recall). I also found out that by rearranging the order of cod installation will allow the installation of these cod files to install without the dredded fatal errors as indicated by DM with resultant of errors showing up on BB.

after some experimentation, I rearranged the order of cod installation on the platform.alx file. I cut and paste some of the problematic cod files to install first or last and as the result was a successful installation of our targeted OS.

For example, the order of the default install of cod files were as follows:

net_rim_app_manager.cod
    net_rim_cldc.cod
    net_rim_platform_resource.cod
    net_rim_platform_resource__en.cod
    net_rim_services_impl.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__en.cod
    net_rim_process_launcher.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_math.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_pme02.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_pme12.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_bundle.cod
    net_rim_app_manager_console.cod
    net_rim_bb_application_permissions_proxy.cod
    net_rim_bb_trust_application_manager.cod
    net_rim_font_system.cod
    net_rim_platformapps_resource.cod
    net_rim_platformapps_resource__en.cod
    net_rim_bb_addressbook.cod
    net_rim_bb_browser.cod
    net_rim_bb_call_control.cod
    net_rim_bb_framework_api.cod
    net_rim_bb_messaging.cod
    net_rim_bb_messaging_app.cod
    net_rim_bb_models.cod
    net_rim_bb_system_smileys.cod
    net_rim_bb_options.cod
    net_rim_bb_options_app.cod
    net_rim_bb_phone_model.cod
    net_rim_bb_phone_resource.cod
    net_rim_bb_profiles_app.cod
    net_rim_bb_profiles_lib.cod
    net_rim_bb_quickcontact.cod
    net_rim_bb_ribbon_lib.cod
    net_rim_bb_search.cod
    net_rim_bb_timezones.cod
    net_rim_bb_voice.cod
    net_rim_bb_setupwizard.cod
    net_rim_bb_spellcheck.cod
    net_rim_escreen.cod
    net_rim_escreen_app.cod
    net_rim_media.cod
    net_rim_satsa.cod
    net_rim_jaxrpc.cod
    net_rim_bb_localeremoval.cod
    net_rim_bb_sms.cod
    net_rim_cellbroadcast.cod
    net_rim_escreen_repository.cod

This lead to errors during installation of our OS.

by rearranging the order of these cod files with the problematic one at the very top or bottom, the result is as follows:

net_rim_bb_options.cod
    net_rim_bb_options_app.cod
    net_rim_bb_phone_model.cod
    net_rim_bb_phone_resource.cod
    net_rim_bb_profiles_app.cod
    net_rim_bb_profiles_lib.cod
    net_rim_bb_quickcontact.cod
    net_rim_bb_ribbon_lib.cod
    net_rim_bb_search.cod
    net_rim_bb_timezones.cod
    net_rim_bb_voice.cod
    net_rim_bb_setupwizard.cod
    net_rim_bb_spellcheck.cod
    net_rim_escreen.cod
    net_rim_escreen_app.cod
    net_rim_media.cod
    net_rim_satsa.cod
    net_rim_jaxrpc.cod
    net_rim_bb_localeremoval.cod
    net_rim_bb_sms.cod
    net_rim_cellbroadcast.cod
    net_rim_escreen_repository.cod
    net_rim_app_manager.cod
    net_rim_cldc.cod
    net_rim_app_manager_console.cod
    net_rim_bb_application_permissions_proxy.cod
    net_rim_bb_trust_application_manager.cod
    net_rim_font_system.cod
    net_rim_platformapps_resource.cod
    net_rim_platformapps_resource__en.cod
    net_rim_bb_addressbook.cod
    net_rim_bb_browser.cod
    net_rim_bb_call_control.cod
    net_rim_bb_models.cod
    net_rim_bb_system_smileys.cod
    net_rim_platform_resource.cod
    net_rim_platform_resource__en.cod
    net_rim_services_impl.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource.cod
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__en.cod
    net_rim_process_launcher.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_math.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_pme02.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_pme12.cod
    net_rim_plazmic_mediaengine_bundle.cod
    net_rim_bb_framework_api.cod
    net_rim_bb_messaging.cod
    net_rim_bb_messaging_app.cod

The result was a successful complete install of the new OS and the BB is working properly without problems for the last day as well as a very happy and grateful brother.

I just want to update all members of my findings and I know that our problem is probably unique but just in case in the future, someone has the same problem as us, they can try to do what I have done.
    09-09-08 02:11 AM
    Having the same issue than the OP (sorry for bumping this old thread) but I've modified the Platform.alx file SEVERAL times now without any results, any other workaround here?
    08-28-09 03:11 PM
    i am having the same problem, can you tell us how to solve the problem on our 8800 BBs'

What do you mean by rearranging, and HOW can we rearrange it ????? HELP ME !
    10-09-09 01:27 PM
    The best thing that worked for me, I uninstalled Blackberry Desktop software I see in Add & remove at Control panel and remove them all. Start fresh. I tried installing the OS couple of times to make it work, if it doesn't work once, try it again. Trial and error.
    10-09-09 01:46 PM
    i have removed all the software, and use the genuine way for uploading the OS by deleting the vendor first and installing but it is the same result it is still not uploading it.

What does that guy meant by rearranging the files !
    HELP ME MORE !
    10-09-09 02:06 PM
    fear 999, Do not ever wipe your OS again to newer one, you will end up with useless BB in your hand. It does appear in some models the electronics are not tested as it should be and due to the higher sales we pay for it. If loading stop at second or third module,...I have bad news for you . You must know that there are around 800 modules and net_rim_cldc.cod is one of the largest, electronics with problems just cannot stand it?! If you are that lucky winner and live in States or Europe, take the BB to the nearest shop and demand replacement. You will see that sellers they will not make problem, because they know about this issue. The rest with unlocked BBs or living in other countries...God help you. None of the explanations works, believe me. Worming the device up to 175 C, will help in minor el. problems, but, why bothering you might broke it for good. Popularity and high demand has it's price. So if somebody knows really how to fix this, please write to us, thanks.
    12-20-09 12:54 PM
    I'm having the same problem. I've read all of the guides/suggestions and the updater freezes at the modules.
    12-20-09 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD