I'm a BB noob. Does anyone have an audible.com subscription? How do you transfer or play the audio books on your BB? I have a 2 gig memory card, so I figured I would need to put the files on it, but any other info would be appreciated.
    11-10-07 11:56 PM
    Anyone get this to work on the Verizon 8130? I'm having trouble setting permissions and also logging in.
    12-31-07 01:48 PM
    No, audible air isn't compatible with the 8130 and the mediaplayer won't recognize them when they are DRM-protected. I corresponded with Audible as recently as last week, and they say they are "working on it," but they say they're having issues with RIM. And I have VZW, which apparently limits downloads. So, it may be awhile (if ever) before we can play our Audible books on the 8130.
    12-31-07 03:03 PM
    I don't know why they can't make it work with VZW - Google apps work great on the 8130 as do loads of other apps.

I have a support email in with them - will see what happens.
    12-31-07 03:37 PM
    I wrote to them again today to suggest that they offer a plug-in or separate media player that would allow us to at least transfer our books from a PC onto the 8130 and play them with full functionality, while they work on the problem. I wouldn't mind the extra step of having to transfer the books onto my media card manually, if I could at least play them.

Maybe if several of us write them to suggest the same thing, they'll do it?
    01-02-08 09:20 AM
    I wrote to them again today to suggest that they offer a plug-in or separate media player that would allow us to at least transfer our books from a PC onto the 8130 and play them with full functionality, while they work on the problem. I wouldn't mind the extra step of having to transfer the books onto my media card manually, if I could at least play them.

Maybe if several of us write them to suggest the same thing, they'll do it?
    I still haven't heard back from support!
    01-03-08 04:50 PM
    I heard back finally, the asked for more info about my device. They poromised to notify me when a fix came out.
    01-07-08 11:28 AM
    I got a beta version and it works better. Some reports from me back to Audible below:

- The download speed is a bit slow, I have an EVDO connection that
    benchmarks at 700kbs and Audible is only getting between 4KB and 30KB per
    second. Is there any way to improve that and make it more consistently
    higher?
    - It takes quite awhile to "buffer" before playing - my Treo never
    buffered like that, or at least it was unnoticeable. Its quite annoying
    when doing a "jump back".
    - This version also pauses once in awhile during playback - can that
    be fixed?
    - When Audible is playing and a phone call comes in, the player stops
    but does not start playing again when the call is over. This is the way the
    media player works and I think it makes sense to start playing again.
    - When viewing "details" of the playing title, there is no way to
    scroll and see all of the details.
    - The "esc" or "back" button does nothing when at the play screen. I
    would expect it to take me back to the library.
    - When in the play screen, and you press the menu key, there is a
    funny pulsing around the menu every second or so.

Their response:
    In regards to the buffering, I know that they are working on making the buffering as robust as possible. The Audible application for the Blackberry is a Java based application so buffering is normal. However it shouldn't be that noticeable that it takes away from enjoying your Audible content.

Some of the issues you mentioned are known issues and are currently being worked on. Unfortunately I don't have the answers to all your questions but I will be sure to pass this feedback on to our software developers. If I get any updates I will definitely let you know. Thanks again for your time and patience. Your feedback and time is greatly appreciated.

More feedback: -----------------------------------------------------------------

# After downloading a portion of a book, further downloads do not work. It does download the additional material, but does not make it available for playing. For instance, today I downloaded the first 10 minutes of a book, then played it and then decided to download the whole thing. When it was done downloading after an hour and a half, the original 10 minutes was available to play, but not the rest of the book. I tried again, only downloading 5 minutes, but again was left with the first 10 minutes of the book. I am using a memory card. As you can agree, this is a showstopper!
    # I was in a meeting and had the phone set on the vibrate only profile. Audible was downloading a book. When it completed, it beeped audibly! Everyone in the room gave me a nasty look. There is no profile setting for Audible in the Profiles application, but having it beep when in vibrate only mode is not acceptable.

And more: ---------------------------------------------------------------

Boy is this Audible program temperamental! I have tried several times now to download a 47MB book and after about an hour it always just fails and I have to start over! One time I got a phone call in the middle of the download and that caused it to abort, other times it just aborted for no apparent reason! It should really be more robust than that and be able to restart itself from where it left off. I'm getting very frustrated! Also, when it is downloading, it takes significant resources from the rest of the phone and its difficult to do anything else.

The fact that its written in Java should not be a problem as many of the reliable, friendly programs I use on the Pearl are written in Java, in particular Google Chat, Google Mail, and Google Maps.
    Last edited by wpwoodjr; 01-18-08 at 01:38 PM.
    01-18-08 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD