Hi all,

Does anyone know if I need to notify O2 that I intend to use my Berry as a tethered modem for my laptop. Are they likely to want to charge me extra, if so how much?

Also, if anyone has successfully done this, would you please give me a hand with some of my settings?

Many thanks,
    Edd
    07-10-08 06:48 AM
    O2 pricing structure says tethering uses mobile web which is charged at �1 per mb!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-08 06:55 AM
    OUCH!!!
    Not really worth it... might consider one of the 3 USB modems...
    07-10-08 07:07 AM
    I don't know if USB modems work on the BB. I have not come across anyone using one.

BtW if you use the Opera mini browser on your device with the o2 mobile web settings you will also be charged �1 per mb!

Maybe they will include mobileweb use as part of the allowance in the future.

O2 have apparently gone 'unlimited' now and I am currently trying to find out what the cap is. Have emailed them twice now

07-10-08 07:13 AM
    I was thinking modem for my laptop...

I don't use Opera, I stick with the native BB browser- does all I need.

Would have thought that the 'unlimited data plan' should do what it says ie be unlimited and cover all types data...

e
    07-10-08 08:18 AM
    no really don't this is a terrible idea unless you want a massive bill, im using opera mini 4.1 but I do not get data charges im on dise which is the buisness system for o2 but I'm only on a regular account if this makes any diffrence I honestly do not know.
    07-10-08 03:46 PM
    I am getting charged extra for my Opera Mini use (I hate the BB browser)

(small cost as I disable all images)
    07-12-08 05:23 PM
    ha I don't get charged
    07-13-08 03:48 AM
    Interesting... I decided to E-mail O2, to see what they can do (groan...) and they've said that I will incurr no extra charges as this is covered under my unlimited data plan. They've also said that this plan is actually unlimited...

good result I think. But I will be keeping all emails from them, just in case
    07-14-08 06:52 AM
    your charged �1 per meg for using mobile web which opera mini uses but then again i don't get charged
    07-14-08 03:36 PM
    Eddvrs,

I am corresponding with o2 to find out about this 'unlimited' plan & I cannot get them to confirm. Best I get is this :-

"The BlackBerry� Unlimited High Voice Bolt On offers you unlimited web access on your phone within the UK for �10.00 including VAT (Value Added Tax) per month. However, your usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.

For more information, please click on the following link:

BlackBerry from O2 - O2 Unlimited BlackBerry tariff for consumers

I hope I've explained this clearly for you. For further information on your account and our products please check our website on...."

On the surface it appears unlimited but The link in the email reply takes you to o2 terms & conditions page where it says " an excessive use policy applies & that tethering is permitted but is chargeable.

They used to say that there was a 200mb excessive use policy but the 200mb has been removed although it is still 'excessive'!!! I have asked 4 or 5 times now what is now considered excessive and they cant/wont reply! They just keep resending me the email above

Very frustrating.

Last edited by Hazysky; 07-15-08 at 03:57 AM.
    07-15-08 02:38 AM
    Curiouser and curiouser. That really is frustrating...
    07-15-08 10:47 AM
    Here is the latest:-

Thank you for emailing us about the Unlimited web access we offer with our tariffs.

I can confirm that the Unlimited Bolt On does give you Unlimited access to the internet.

However, all usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.

You may not use your SIM Card:

- in, or connected to, any other device including modems which will
    allow continuous streaming of any audio / video content,

- enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing

- in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

If we feel that you are using the internet excessively, we'll contact you to let you know.

I'm sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for.

If you should have any further questions, please visit our online Help Centre at:

Help

Basically I think you can use as much as you like until they phone you, they could phone you if they think you were streaming video, or if you have gone over the ' secret' excessive use policy. Who knows. I am willing to bet that it is a generous allowance though if BB connect users are getting 3GB of internet use we must be getting something similar.

First one to get a call must inform the rest of us lol!
    07-15-08 12:43 PM
    woopety woop
    07-15-08 07:49 PM
    That sounds like a challenge to me

It seems that they're mostly worried about copyright infringement, which is fair enough.
    Any one else interpret that normal web browsing as acceptable?
    07-16-08 07:12 AM
    Yeah normal web browsing is perfectly acceptable. Streaming video etc hogs bandwidth and slows speeds down for others does it not?

07-16-08 08:20 AM
    Yes there are a few term and conditions which are not streaming of video or audio includes data calls or using your mobile as a modem without the web max bolt on. It is in the terms and conditions so if you use your blackberry as a modem O2 have every right to remove data acess from your account as you are not abiding to the contract you agreed. I strongly suggest do not use your Blackberry as a modem on the O2 network. Only use A HTC or a mobile web enabled device with web max bolt on, or your are breaking the terms and conditions of your contract.
    07-16-08 08:34 AM
    Tethering a laptop on O2, if you have a BlackBerry, requires the use of a �7.50/mth Tethering Bolt-On. Just inquired with an O2 advisor about it now.
    12-13-10 04:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD