I am sure this has been beat to death, but can a bb be used through alltel without a data plan???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-08 08:17 PM
    it could but you won't be able to do all the fun stuff the bb offers
    08-12-08 08:19 PM
    it can not be used with alltel service without data on it. any other smartphone can except blackberry. there is an audit group that will audit the acct and add the $44.99 feature to the acct if it doesn't have a blackberry feature code on the acct.
    08-12-08 08:39 PM
    it can not be used with alltel service without data on it. any other smartphone can except blackberry. there is an audit group that will audit the acct and add the $44.99 feature to the acct if it doesn't have a blackberry feature code on the acct.

They won't add that feature, but they will make it so that data will not work on the device, thus making you call to TS. That's what they did with my cousins Q9c anyways.
    Last edited by whitcd; 08-12-08 at 10:14 PM.
    08-12-08 10:10 PM
    They won't add that feature, but they will make it so that data will not work on the device, thus making you call to TS.
    No, that little feature is added by the system. Trust me I work here I know, the system sees it and automatically charges you for just having the phone on the line. And no you can't add any smart phone to the alltel network without a data plan. First no one will do it second even if you had someone who would we're back to the additional charge that the system tacks on. If you don't want to pay for the data plan you don't really want the phone. Go with the glimmer it's as close to a smart phone that you'll get on alltel with out changing your plan.
    08-12-08 10:14 PM
    The simple answer is yes it can be done. Do you want to? No. The charge as stated above would be tacked on monthly. And the cs will tell you it can't be done to make you change your plan. I went through this discussion with my cs until finally she called over her manager who said it can be done but they charge you extra just for having the BB. So why would you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-08 07:45 AM
    Thanks for the help. It would be for my wife. She wants a pearl for easier texting. And shes jealous of my curve..
    08-13-08 07:59 AM
    whomever said that it will fly and the audit team just won't add the feature, is wrong, it's an automated system, if it's a BB esn, it automatically adds the blackberry BIS & BES pay per month feature at 44.99, if you've already got a blackberry, you're on a smartchoice plan, pony up the extra $20 a month it costs for the second smartphone on the account and be happy that you're getting two smartphones for less than what most companies charge for the setup that you've got.
    08-13-08 08:38 AM
    well we are on an account with 4 other phones. Two have data. So to add a third it would only be an extra 20 bucks a month??
    08-13-08 12:41 PM
    well we are on an account with 4 other phones. Two have data. So to add a third it would only be an extra 20 bucks a month??
    How many smart phones do you have on your plan currently? If you already have two that's the max you can do on one shared plan. Sadly data plans weren't designed for entire families to have them. If you only have one smartphone and you add another it will be an additional $40 a month.
    08-13-08 12:45 PM
    two smart phones.
    08-13-08 12:57 PM
    two smart phones.
    ooo. Yea you'd have to move her to her own plan if she wanted one and then your looking at the base of 89.99 for just her. From the sound of it she just wants the easier texting I doubt it'd be worth it. The scoop has a full keyboard, she might like lol soz.
    08-13-08 01:01 PM
    eh, if he was putting a pearl in the place of the other regular phone it'd be $20 difference (other line's already $20, becomes $40) but, if there's already 2 smartphones on the acct then yes, it'd be time for a separate smartphone plan.
    08-13-08 01:12 PM
    thanks again. Its paid through my company so she is staying right where she is at.. thanks again to all who helped. looks like i will be looking for a glimmer or scoop for her..
    08-13-08 02:27 PM
    personally, I'd recommend looking at the Samsung Muse if you're considering the Glimmer, all the same features without that touch screen that I hate to deal with. (actually, without the data, the Muse can match up feature for feature with the Pearl and it's a lot cheaper....)
    08-13-08 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD