Just received a curious email from my carrier, Alltel (in the Nebraska corn fields) and I went to my desktop and ran it successfully. It is an update for usb connections *and* the software (windows xp and Bb8830) to establish the modem links required to use my berry as a modem. It seems to function as advertised and at a quite-high speed though I have not investigated 'just' how high it actually is. I will investigate this further along with how it impacts my billing numbers and will report back. It is, btw, located under the Access tab on their corporate site.
    05-31-08 09:44 PM
    Keep us informed huskerberry
    06-01-08 02:09 PM
    It is, btw, located under the Access tab on their corporate site.
    I'm not seeing an Access tab on the corporate site. Can you describe again its location or send the software?
    06-02-08 09:32 AM
    1. Alltel.com - log in to your account
    2. Click on "Axcess & Data Services" at the top of the page.
    3. Second line down click on "Software Downloads".
    4. Middle of the page click on "Software Download Center".
    5. Select the o/s of your desk/laptop machine that you intend to connect to the "modem".
    6. Select "phones" as your product.
    7. Finally, select your Bb model from the drop-down list and click on submit.
    8. Enjoy your flight. You are now free(er) to move about the cabin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-08 12:24 AM
    Faster way to get there: Alltel Downloads
    06-03-08 05:20 AM
    Got it. Thanks
    06-03-08 08:24 AM
    Follow-up to the "nugget": I have tracked billing as I have used my 8830 as a modem and have noticed no changes. I assume that has to do with my having an unlimited data plan. As for speed, I honestly see very little difference in response times when using the modem though downloads are a different story but not outrageous.

06-09-08 09:22 PM
    Well, I have just figured out how to tether my pear (alltel), and after several tries, (okay, many) I got mine to work. We'll see if there are any extra charges in the next month.....

I'm officially addicted.
    07-26-08 10:01 PM
    [QUOTE=turtleberry. We'll see if there are any extra charges in the next month.....

I still use my tether frequently and have not seen ANY changes on my billing. (Knocking on wooden head and crossing fingers.)

07-26-08 10:10 PM
    Oh huskerberry you've outed us. It's a little know fact that you can tether your phone at no extra charge. You won't see any additional charges and they'll never catch it since we have unlimited data. Mostly known only to those of us who work for alltel but its true that no you don't really need to pay that additional 10 dollars little

07-26-08 10:19 PM
    Well, I have just figured out how to tether my pear (alltel), and after several tries, (okay, many) I got mine to work. We'll see if there are any extra charges in the next month.....

I'm officially addicted.
    Utrtleberry,

I have a pearl also and haven't figured out how to tether. Can you tell me how you did it?

I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    07-27-08 06:35 AM
    GO BIG RED! Do you know where I can get a Husker theme?
    07-30-08 03:32 PM
    GO BIG RED! Do you know where I can get a Husker theme?
    You will have to make one, or have a friend make you one (for free). Otherwise you'll have to pay for one. The collegiate requires that you can not give out anything pertaining to NCAA teams. Gotta love them Copyright laws.
    07-31-08 02:44 AM
    Oh huskerberry you've outed us. It's a little know fact that you can tether your phone at no extra charge. You won't see any additional charges and they'll never catch it since we have unlimited data. Mostly known only to those of us who work for alltel but its true that no you don't really need to pay that additional 10 dollars little

So is this "Official" in a "un-Official" kind of way? I am paying the extra $10 because customer service told me if I didn't I would not like what I saw when my bill arrived!!!!

Tethering will not charge against your monthly plan minutes...correct?

Even if it did charge against your minutes, would surfing the web during your nights and weekends be free?

Thanks for your insight!!!
    Last edited by DMO1028; 07-31-08 at 12:30 PM.
    07-31-08 12:26 PM
    DMO1028 - Check it yourself before you risk anything. Be smart about it and check your minutes first then login for an hour. Logoff and wait 48-72 hours, the usual posting lag, and then check your minutes again. It's your money so YOU assess the risk in your own situation. Be aware of "free" and "unlimited" calling periods, etc. and be thorough.

07-31-08 05:36 PM
    Great advice! Since I can drop the tethering without penalty, I think I will give it a shot and maybe save $120 a year- If it doesn't work out I can always add the tethering option back on.
    07-31-08 05:46 PM
    I set my laptop yesterday! Really cool.
    08-19-08 07:03 AM
    IS it using talk time OR data time???
    08-19-08 09:01 AM
    Just got off the phone with Alltel. I have the "unlimited data plan"... but they said I would get charged "per kb" I use if I teather.

For $10 a month I can get unlimited "teather" use and it does not affect my "talk minutes".

So, for an extra $10 I went ahead and did it. It is more fun surfing without having to worry about getting a big bill for only 10 bucks.
    08-19-08 11:24 AM
    I've been teathering my phone since December and I've never had my bill flux. With the Altel smartphones you get a Smart Pack that comes unlimited Data. Teathering only uses Data and since you have unlimited your not going to see any differences. The reps just say that so you get the $10 feature and they get commisions.
    08-19-08 03:17 PM
    I've been teathering my phone since December and I've never had my bill flux. With the Altel smartphones you get a Smart Pack that comes unlimited Data. Teathering only uses Data and since you have unlimited your not going to see any differences. The reps just say that so you get the $10 feature and they get commisions.
    OK, just to clear this up before I start tethering at school and find a humongous bill. All Blackberries on Alltel have unlimited data. Tethering uses data, so you can tether as much as you want.

So why did that rep say they charge by the kb when you tether, and how do they get away with charging people for a service they get for free anyways?
    08-19-08 05:26 PM
    OK, just to clear this up before I start tethering at school and find a humongous bill. All Blackberries on Alltel have unlimited data. Tethering uses data, so you can tether as much as you want.

So why did that rep say they charge by the kb when you tether, and how do they get away with charging people for a service they get for free anyways?

I would like to know the same...
    08-19-08 05:53 PM
    I recently went into an Alltel store to have my PRL updated on my 8330 since it was being flaky. I also took a minute to ask the rep if tethering will cost me extra. He told me that if I figured it out on my own and it works I won't be charged any extra since I already have unlimited data. He basically said that tether plans are for people who don't have smartphones and want to tether or if you want the technical support. So since I had it working he said I wouldn't have to worry about paying extra.

He also told me that it's pretty hokey how we are forced to pay for telnav to get GPS to work. Which I agreed with.

Anyways, back when I used a PPC6800 I tethered all the time. The PPC6800 was actually great at it since all the windows drivers were built in, it was simple to activate, didn't require mobile link, etc. The point is, I tethered all the time on that phone and never once got hit with an increase in my bill, since I have unlimited internet. I'm expecting the same on the BB.
    08-20-08 09:52 AM
    He told me that if I figured it out on my own and it works I won't be charged any extra since I already have unlimited data. He basically said that tether plans are for people who don't have smartphones and want to tether or if you want the technical support. So since I had it working he said I wouldn't have to worry about paying extra.
    I figured as much. Good to see it in writing though.

08-20-08 10:23 AM
    Do you have to go to Alltel and register as a new subscriber to Wi-Fi? Would this be adding wi-fi to your plan(as far as paying the $10 a month?)
    It does say this when you go to register with wi-fi
    I just added Wi-Fi to my Alltel Wireless bill and need to setup my username and password so I can get online
    Thanks
    08-28-08 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD