In reading a summary of Consumer Report's new ranking of Cell companies, it estimates that as many 6 Million iPhone users could hop from AT&T to VZW when VZW begins carrying the iPhone.

So what are the chances that the influx of iPhone users could swamp Verizon's coverage, similar to what happened to AT&T when iPhones came on the scene (especially in large cities like NYC and San Fran)?

Off-hand, I don't know how many total customers VZW has, nor do I know anything about their load capacities, so maybe 6 million will be a relatively small bump . . . but maybe not. Bringing on an average of 120,000 new users per state very quickly could seemingly make Verizon's coverage suffer with all the problems that people complain about with AT&T. Hopefully they're already preparing for the wave.

Then again, I don't know how many of those 6 million iPhone users had previously been on VZW before they had to switch to AT&T to get their iPhone, so maybe they'll absorb them back into the fold very easily.

I sure hope VZW doesn't get swamped, but the article definitely got me wondering.
    12-07-10 09:45 AM
    I'm sure it will be similar to AT&T but half the people are still on contracts with AT&T and by the time that the contract is up verizon will realize the problem and add many towers but in nyc it is really a really bad problem. If it does become a problem you can always use the wifi in the blackberry/iphone to subscribe to the 4g providers in the busy places. I have comcast internet at my house and they give us free 4g so I use that sometimes and it is really fast. It is always an alternative.
    12-07-10 10:01 AM
    I'm sure it will be similar to AT&T but half the people are still on contracts with AT&T and by the time that the contract is up verizon will realize the problem and add many towers but in nyc it is really a really bad problem. If it does become a problem you can always use the wifi in the blackberry/iphone to subscribe to the 4g providers in the busy places. I have comcast internet at my house and they give us free 4g so I use that sometimes and it is really fast. It is always an alternative.
    since when is 4g an alternative? and what device do you have on 4g?
    12-07-10 10:05 AM
    I'm sure it will be similar to AT&T but half the people are still on contracts with AT&T and by the time that the contract is up verizon will realize the problem and add many towers but in nyc it is really a really bad problem.
    Good point. At least the conversion/influx to VZW would probably be somewhat gradual as AT&T contracts expire.
    12-07-10 10:19 AM
    Y'all might be interested in this article from CNN/Money about 4G:
    4G is a myth (and a confusing mess) - Dec. 1, 2010
    12-07-10 10:22 AM
    So what are the chances that the influx of iPhone users could swamp Verizon's coverage, similar to what happened to AT&T when iPhones came on the scene (especially in large cities like NYC and San Fran)?
    A report was issued earlier this year that Verizon and Sprint each handle more data on their wireless networks than does AT&T. Also, reports are out that Droids on Verizon consume more data on average than iPhones. That would indicate they have the ability to handle more data than AT&T.

Plus, with the launch of 4G, more data cards will switch to the 4G network, allowing headroom for more smartphones to populate the 3G network (if you believe the latest rumors, the Verizon iPhone would launch on the 3G network).
    12-07-10 12:11 PM
    Y'all might be interested in this article from CNN/Money about 4G:
    4G is a myth (and a confusing mess) - Dec. 1, 2010
    From a standards point of view, nothing out is 4G. However, from a user's point of view, LTE is FAST! Call it whatever you want, I don't really care as long as it's faster than my home cable connection!
    12-07-10 12:13 PM
    A report was issued earlier this year that Verizon and Sprint each handle more data on their wireless networks than does AT&T. Also, reports are out that Droids on Verizon consume more data on average than iPhones. That would indicate they have the ability to handle more data than AT&T.

Plus, with the launch of 4G, more data cards will switch to the 4G network, allowing headroom for more smartphones to populate the 3G network (if you believe the latest rumors, the Verizon iPhone would launch on the 3G network).
    This is exactly what I was about to say. Verbatim. Weird.
    12-07-10 12:28 PM
    Its a different technology cdma vs gsm. Cdma can handle more capacity per channel so greater load.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-10 12:37 PM
    I would think VZW already has their ducks in a row for the iPhone (if they really do get it), and the influx of people who will come over from AT&T. They've seen the mess that AT&T had and still has, so I don't think VZW would dare try to pick up the iPhone and many more users without being fairly prepared for it.

But I could be wrong of course...
    12-07-10 03:18 PM
    I use the comcast's 4g network and you log on with your username/password and you use it over your wifi on your phone. it is fast and if I know I am going to be doing stuff with it then I will use it. I was also thinking of clear and other alternatives that you can use over your blackberries wifi connection but they cost money. I only use the comcast one because it is included with my home connection price.
    12-07-10 03:31 PM
    ok that is not the 4G that we were thinking of then.
    12-07-10 03:39 PM
    Ya I understand that, I'm just saying that if the towers are swamped and you can't get on the internet that is always an alternative.
    12-07-10 03:42 PM
    I use the comcast's 4g network and you log on with your username/password and you use it over your wifi on your phone. it is fast and if I know I am going to be doing stuff with it then I will use it. I was also thinking of clear and other alternatives that you can use over your blackberries wifi connection but they cost money. I only use the comcast one because it is included with my home connection price.
    Ok, that's definitely not the 4G most here think of. That's just called wifi, regardless what cute or catchy name they gave it.
    12-07-10 03:43 PM
    I think the network will handle it just fine. If you have an issue with it in an area you didn't before, call them and have a trouble ticket started. Enough folks have an issue there and they'll increase their capacity, find somewhere to plop another tower down or something.

I can't see them letting their service suffer as a result of picking up the iPhone...

Besides, android users already use a bunch of network data and it has held up alright.
    12-07-10 03:45 PM
    I know an engineer at vzw who says especially in major cities they are constantly beefing up system. I see their trucks all over doing major work I would guess reinforcing and upgrading the system. Personally my service is getting better all the time on vzw even up in the boondocks where my hunting house is. I get service where I never had before

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-10 04:27 PM
    Ya I understand that, I'm just saying that if the towers are swamped and you can't get on the internet that is always an alternative.
    wifi is not available everywhere though and you wont always be at home to use it either.

Also like mentioned i would never call it 4g, its wifi. nothing special
    12-07-10 05:29 PM
    Related to this discussion about iPhones defecting to VZW, I just saw this article on CNN today: Verizon iPhone is no doomsday for AT&T - Dec. 21, 2010
    12-21-10 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD