The Storm is 100% dual-mode a-GPS. For apps other than VZNav & BBMaps, it runs unassisted.

Regardless, the Storm (& some WinMo devices) is proof VZW is not blocking GPS to suck more $$$ out of you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 02:57 PM
    my view: The storm was unlocked after these types of arm twisting cries by customers! If we never spoke, I believe it would of never been unlocked! So while a lot of ppl argue that if we dont like it, choose another carrier, we have the right and obligation to protest our cries for changes to happen. If I followed some of u guys advice to put up or shut up, u guys with storms wouldn' be enjoying unlocked GPS right now! And if the only solution was to switch carriers, that wouldnt be in the company's interest and it should not be the only option as some of us are loyal customers that just want fairness in the areas where there is none.

As for curves, I think they are milking it for as long as humanly possible as they've done in the past with other stuff like restricting MP3s as ring tones, photos as backgrounds, blue tooth file transfers, etc!

Why are u cutting these guys such a break on this? Don't defend them n talk about how the storm is dual-mode a gps or whatever!

Here's the single fact! And I think u can agree!

GPS was crippled! usable only by the program verizon can make money from!! (when we cried out, they unlocked BB maps) obvious damage control since bb maps is a program made by the freakin phone company itself to be ... FUNCTIONAL!!!

GPS is able to be functional as is with storm, as is with other carriers, UNLOCKED!

Security was their 1st excuse! Clear and factual lie, especially in light of the storm being unlocked.

So.... At least agree with me on that and try to stop playing the other side for no reason! If u dont work for verizon, then your a customer just like me and it is in ur interest as well as mine for folks like verizon to be fair with us! Customers who turn against each other in vival views only serve to allow verizon to pick our pockets unfaily! And thats the key, UNFAIRLY!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-29-09 at 03:31 PM.
    01-29-09 03:26 PM
    I do know this is a wifi thread so I'm sorry for steering it off topic. In the end I think its part of the same picture but I do apologize for steering it in another direction
    01-29-09 03:32 PM
    RicanMedic, you either don't read very well, are deluded by all of the anti-VZW conspiracy theorists or you work for another company.

The GPS is NOT unlocked on other carriers OR that carrier specified dual-mode a-GPS in their version. One of my partners has an AT&T Curve that only works with TeleNav & BBMaps. Before 4.5, BBMaps didn't work for him either. For the record, he is with AT&T because he was sucked into the iPhone mania (he was a rabid Mac lover), regretted it after 90 days (his phone was bricked - thanks Apple) and paid full boat for a BlackBerry because he was tied to a contract. He has asked AT&T each time he calls them when GPS will be unlocked & they tell him he can get a puck.

Keys here:
    • Curve & Storm are different beasts.
    • OS4.5 brought in new functionality on all carriers.
    • Single mode a-GPS can be incredibly expensive for carriers.
    • Carriers have a right to make a profit.
    • Market pressure is supreme, not the whines of conspiracy theorists.
    • There are no CDMA or GSM Curves with both GPS & WiFi - it has nothing to do with the carrier.
    • RIM's product decisions play a bigger part in your phone's abilities than do any carrier decisions.

And, for the record, I understand the original 8330 specification was for single-mode a-GPS, due to dual-mode not being available in suitable quantities.

I'll tell you what - if you're so upset with VZW, go to AT&T or T-Mobile. They'd love to have you. Then you can work overtime in those forums trashing them for some perceived transgression. It seems you have a bone to pick, an axe to grind, a chip on your shoulder. Everywhere you're posting negatives & twisting it to suit you. This is childish & really makes me question your age & motives.

Another good idea - why don't you post from your BlackBerry so we can see that you actually have one?

01-29-09 04:25 PM
    Wow - we really digressed from the original topic, haven't we?
    01-29-09 04:56 PM
    Its a living thread.

As such, it grew in ways its parents never intended. Right now, it is in its adolescent phase.

01-29-09 05:03 PM
    I think it just needs to grow old and die.

We all have our issues and we all agree that we probably disagree on the major points.

To me, it makes sense that a carrier might set requirements for their phones. You believe carrier selects only what's currently available on the open market.

I say we cut our losses and agree to disagree and call it a night. we'll never know until one of us hears from the top.
    01-29-09 08:01 PM
    i wont get personal with this dude. my gripe is with business practices. this thread was origionally about wifi on blackberries. I have my opinion n that, especially in light of the sprint curve.

Personally I never wanted or want to put a lot of voice on that battle as it just may be possible that cost and form factor "can" be a legitamate argument.

My only gripe is GPS and the other stuff I listed in the other forums. I dont take it personal with any single person on this forum. So TwinsX2dad can go that route by himself.

Right or wrong, agree or disagree, there's no reason we can't voice our opinions. And this one definitely has a huge following so... I think we can agree that it isn't without some merit!

As for whether I have a BB or not... PLEASE DUDE!!!
    01-29-09 08:44 PM
    i wont get personal with this dude. my gripe is with business practices. this thread was origionally about wifi on blackberries. I have my opinion n that, especially in light of the sprint curve.

Personally I never wanted or want to put a lot of voice on that battle as it just may be possible that cost and form factor "can" be a legitamate argument.

My only gripe is GPS and the other stuff I listed in the other forums. I dont take it personal with any single person on this forum. So TwinsX2dad can go that route by himself.

Right or wrong, agree or disagree, there's no reason we can't voice our opinions. And this one definitely has a huge following so... I think we can agree that it isn't without some merit!

As for whether I have a BB or not... PLEASE DUDE!!!
    Sprint's Curve, the 8330, doesn't have wi-fi either. The Sprint/Nextel Curve 8350i, does have wi-fi, but it is not a CDMA Blackberry, like the 8330 ( hence the 8350i and not the 8330i ). It only has iDEN radio in it, it will not pick up a CDMA signal because there is no CDMA radio.... So, what have we learned? The 8350i, is non-3G, iDEN only, non-CDMA and has wi-fi... It's like comparing the 8330 Curve to the 8320 Curve ( which has wi-fi ) and comparing that to the 8310 Curve ( which has no wi-fi ). What's the point? The Verizon 8330 does not have wi-fi, crying about it isn't going to change that. Verizon isn't going to go to RIM and have them add a wi-fi chip to a phone that's almost a year old. The Niagra should be around the corner, and if rumors pan out, it will have wi-fi. Will you stop whining then? I doubt it, I'm sure the phone will be too bulky for you, or the colors won't match your purse, or the buttons will be too close together. I believe you are just a hater, trying to stir the pot.

Like I said before, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you feel so strongly against Verizon Wireless, why not boycott them? Also, I highly doubt Lowell McAdam is browsing these forums coming up with ideas of what kind features/radios/options a Blackberry should have. If you have a problem with lack of wi-fi, call Verizon Wireless customer service, and have them fill out a voice of the customer form indicating the need for more wi-fi devices, or at lease a wi-fi enabled Blackberry.

On a side note: One of my best friends has a Samsung Omnia and loves it and his wi-fi, ever think of switching to the dark side ( winmo ), if you must stick with Verizon Wireless for whatever reason?
    01-29-09 10:06 PM
    my opinion is shared by many on here and is expressed not only in this forum category but in all the others on CB. And when I was talking about sprint, yes I was talking about the 8350i phone. And while I do understand that it is not a CDMA device as u mentioned, my point was that form factor can be taylored for whatever the carrier desires. And for iden, wifi, gps is not a must have as opposed to lets say... its push to talk! So sprint chose it, RIM listened, created it, and wala, they got it!

But like I said, I dont care about that subject too much. My gripe is more with GPS and forced data plans rather than whether a verizon BB has wifi or not.

I'll debate for fun, I'll debate passionately, but I will never disrespect an individual on this forum. And if I ever do without intent, I will apologize appropriately! And I don't expect personal insults on me for stating a completely logical opinion. I'm an adult and twins doesnt know me from a hole in the wall. So twins, if u want to continue, change the way you post and don't make urself seem exactly what like you are accusing me of being. Where's your blackberry! Prove it to me prove it to me!!! Think before you call people childish and question their age my friend!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-29-09 at 11:12 PM.
    01-29-09 11:06 PM
    The Verizon 8330 does not have wi-fi, crying about it isn't going to change that. Verizon isn't going to go to RIM and have them add a wi-fi chip to a phone that's almost a year old. The Niagra should be around the corner, and if rumors pan out, it will have wi-fi. Will you stop whining then? I doubt it, I'm sure the phone will be too bulky for you, or the colors won't match your purse, or the buttons will be too close together. I believe you are just a hater, trying to stir the pot.
    Why is it that differentiating opinions results in name-calling and insults?? Each member in this forum is open to their own opinions. The insulting names and insinuations are not needed. There's just no need.

On a different note:

I do have a question that goes back to my original opinion: How do you and anyone else think RIM comes up with ideas for new phones? Do they take technologies off the shelf and throw them in the pot and start stiring to see what gets baked? I doubt it. They probably follow the SDLC - Systems Development Life Cycle.
    Project Initiation/Planning, Requirements Gathering, Design, Build, Test, Operations.

I'm sure hardware manufacturers follow this same procedures in identifying what phones to make and what technologies to include. Some of this will include a cost analysis and form-factor analysis as part of the build process. But, if during their Requirements Gathering phase or the project, a carrier indicates they don't need a BB with WiFi, for whatever reason, RIM isn't going to make one just with hopes that another CDMA carrier wants it. Or, they may go to that other carrier to gather their requirements - if they want one, then they'll make it. In the end, it's building what will sell for RIM.

Sorry - but, simply providing facts of what is currently on the market doesn't point to a clear assumption of the practices taken during this lifecycle.

Again - my opinion...
    01-30-09 07:41 AM
    You can have an opinion and you can debate, but when your tone is almost universally negative, you come off as whining. When your argument is based on conspiracy theories or incorrect information/assumptions, you come off as ignorant.

Ricanmedic, you've succeeded in both and continue to sound like someone who is here only to argue and who may not even own a smartphone.

01-30-09 10:57 AM
    Why is it that differentiating opinions results in name-calling and insults?? Each member in this forum is open to their own opinions. The insulting names and insinuations are not needed. There's just no need.

im not gonna let this stupid guy bait me into insults anymore.

in any case, the curve came out a long time ago so obviously this is something they obviously decided a long time ago. And again, it may just be that form factor and cost might of affected their decision on eliminating wifi. I just always think of the idea that Blackberries were the ONLY smart phone with a "required" data plan (until recent news of all requiring soon). So its ironic that they choose to elimiate wifi ONLY on blackberries! Almost seems like they are trying to justifying why u would need a data plan (sort of bending ur arm backward) and eliminating your secondary data options. Saving them money on the chip itself and justifying the requirment of the data. If anything, right or wrong, guilty or innicent, its AT LEAST worth a mention! I wouldn't be a good informed customer if I did not think of all posibilities here! Its my money!!!

So I do realize there may be many other factors here. But with GPS locks, and ALL the other sneaky practices that verizon does, I as a customer am predisposed to thinking of malitious causes to their decision making. And while ALL carriers have something malitious in one way or another, I think if you poll the general public, VZW will win hands down for being the priciest, base price and extras wise, and also the most restrictive of all the services! And you can read any article, be it CNET or any other tech news site to see what I mean!

So while I would never mind to pay more for a better network and better customer service, one must realize exactly what that amount really is and decide if what ur paying for is justified for what your getting. $20 more, I can play, etc etc. But from what I've seen in my own bill and my discussions with other ppl with other carriers, I clearly pay almost 40% more for having "this so called" better network. I wouldn't be a smart customer if I didn't think about this...

And I cant help but think of possibilities of more malitious tactics when a topic like wifi implimentation comes up.

So now that all smartphones will be requiring a data plan in the future, I wonder how this will affect their future wifi implimentation plans.

ONLY NOW are u going to start to see wifi in VZW blackberries, well, if the rumors of CDMA curve are correct. I know the alertative would of been, just eliminate wifi from all smart phones since 3G is across the spectrum right? But somehow I just don't think that will fly with customers who know the competition does more! And wo knows, maybe our cries of the storm not having wifi have shifted their school of thought a bit! It seems like when we stand up, things start happening! So while I'm not 100% sure if I will stay with verizon after Dec of 09, I do realize and see clearly that standing up and sharing strong opinion is part of why things happen ... hense WIFI in the niagra or bold, GPS unlocked on the storm, GPS unlocked for BB maps (which is a start), etc etc! So why stop there!!!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-30-09 at 11:54 AM.
    01-30-09 11:38 AM
    If you're really this sophomoric, how do you dress & feed yourself iin the morning?

Not to mention that you keep regurgitating the same things/comments without verifiable reference to any of the debunking points listed previously by several posters.

Your dribble has been etched into the ether. Move along now.

01-30-09 03:48 PM
    [Refering to Verizon Wireless] but with the coverage they offer, and the speeds, do you really need the wifi?
    With the ridiculously high costs they charge, how can you not expect it to be included?
    01-30-09 03:54 PM

in any case, the curve came out a long time ago so obviously this is something they obviously decided a long time ago. And again, it may just be that form factor and cost might of affected their decision on eliminating wifi. I just always think of the idea that Blackberries were the ONLY smart phone with a "required" data plan (until recent news of all requiring soon). So its ironic that they choose to elimiate wifi ONLY on blackberries! Almost seems like they are trying to justifying why u would need a data plan (sort of bending ur arm backward) and eliminating your secondary data options. Saving them money on the chip itself and justifying the requirment of the data. If anything, right or wrong, guilty or innicent, its AT LEAST worth a mention! I wouldn't be a good informed customer if I did not think of all posibilities here! Its my money!!!

So I do realize there may be many other factors here. But with GPS locks, and ALL the other sneaky practices that verizon does, I as a customer am predisposed to thinking of malitious causes to their decision making. And while ALL carriers have something malitious in one way or another, I think if you poll the general public, VZW will win hands down for being the priciest, base price and extras wise, and also the most restrictive of all the services! And you can read any article, be it CNET or any other tech news site to see what I mean!

So while I would never mind to pay more for a better network and better customer service, one must realize exactly what that amount really is and decide if what ur paying for is justified for what your getting. $20 more, I can play, etc etc. But from what I've seen in my own bill and my discussions with other ppl with other carriers, I clearly pay almost 40% more for having "this so called" better network. I wouldn't be a smart customer if I didn't think about this...

And I cant help but think of possibilities of more malitious tactics when a topic like wifi implimentation comes up.

So now that all smartphones will be requiring a data plan in the future, I wonder how this will affect their future wifi implimentation plans.

ONLY NOW are u going to start to see wifi in VZW blackberries, well, if the rumors of CDMA curve are correct. I know the alertative would of been, just eliminate wifi from all smart phones since 3G is across the spectrum right? But somehow I just don't think that will fly with customers who know the competition does more! And wo knows, maybe our cries of the storm not having wifi have shifted their school of thought a bit! It seems like when we stand up, things start happening! So while I'm not 100% sure if I will stay with verizon after Dec of 09, I do realize and see clearly that standing up and sharing strong opinion is part of why things happen ... hense WIFI in the niagra or bold, GPS unlocked on the storm, GPS unlocked for BB maps (which is a start), etc etc! So why stop there!!!
    Again, you speak of Verizon Wireless omitting wi-fi from all of their Blackberry phones... I want you to scour the web and find me 1 CDMA carrier Blackberry that has wi-fi. You won't find one. So, using your logic, Verizon Wireless is the only reason Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular, Bell, Telus, etc decided to omit wi-fi from their Blackberry's as well, right? Show me one that has CDMA like Verizon and also has wi-fi. If it's up to Verizon to have wi-fi or not, why are there no other CDMA Blackberrys that have wi-fi? You keep dodging this question. Is Verizon Wireless keeping US Cellular from having a CDMA wi-fi enabled Blackberry? Is Verizon Wireless keeping Sprint from having a CDMA Blackberry with wi-fi? If it's truely up to the carrier to request certain phone models, why wouldn't Sprint request a wi-fi enabled CDMA Curve? They got their push-to-talk, iDEN wi-fi enabled Curve, surely they could get a CDMA wi-fi enabled Curve.

And again, I can assure you they didn't unlock GPS to Blackberry maps because of you. There were people that complained....to the right channel. Crackberry is not that channel. Voice of the Customer is the channel. If enough complaints are taken through their voice of the customer form, changes happen, progress is made. Its not because people on message boards are crying to each other.
    Last edited by scurvydlicious; 01-30-09 at 04:40 PM.
    01-30-09 04:38 PM
    And to Scurve's final point, those message board complainers are in a much smaller minority than they like to think and tend to post across multiple sites.

He keeps saying the same things without backing and without logic/reasoning, all while ignoring the points (and logic) shown in previous points.

What else can be expected of someone who opens their post with an insult complaining of other's insults?

01-30-09 04:57 PM

But you continue to use the same language and articulate your same concerns with much aggression. Your language seems to be getting worse and is now even worse with the name calling and antagonizing. I've tried to play an even keel here but the insults must stop.
    01-30-09 05:07 PM
    with the coverage they offer, and the speeds, do you really need the wifi?
    I see 3 reasons for wifi, 1 very specific to world phones like the storm or 8830.

First, wifi is extremely useful when traveling overseas where evdo is non-exsistant! Thats probably the biggest most useful reasons for wifi in order to keep data charges manageable for us customers. Can u just imagine ur data roaming charges??? I wouldn't even wanna try! Although I'm sure verizon would love it....

Second, wifi can eliminate the need for a data plan and keep it optional (even though verizon will never play with that idea).

Third, if evdo is not available in parts of the country or is weak and slow, wifi can help offset that issue.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-30-09 at 05:57 PM.
    01-30-09 05:52 PM
    I see 3 reasons for wifi, 1 very specific to world phones like the storm or 8830.

First, wifi is extremely useful when traveling overseas where evdo is non-exsistant! Thats probably the biggest most useful reasons for wifi in order to keep data charges manageable for us customers. Can u just imagine ur data roaming charges??? I wouldn't even wanna try! Although I'm sure verizon would love it....

Second, wifi can eliminate the need for a data plan and keep it optional (even though verizon will never play with that idea).

Third, if evdo is not available in parts of the country or is weak and slow, wifi can help offset that issue.
    Data roaming charges are $0 when you have the global Blackberry data plan for $64.99 while using the data services. Good try though.

Second, Verizon isn't going to eliminate the data plan, they're only enforcing it more ( look at Omnia, Saga, ... )

Third, if you're in an area where EVDO coverage is weak or slow, chances are, you're not near a wi-fi hotspot either.
    01-30-09 06:28 PM
    We shouldn't be required to have a global plan as not all of us are global junkies of business but still travel occasionally. If I have a US coast to coast plan and then travel over seas, wifi is very useful for saving on data roaming. If u see the BB storm review on CNET.com, they even emphasize on this fact with the omission of wifi! Shoot, even the blog review video here on CB from today of the bold, storm, and curve 8900 mentions the odd omission of wifi on the storm! So this is not just me being a lonesome guy pullin this stuff out of u know where!

Ur right, they are prob never going to eliminate data requirments on smart phones, they r prob just going to get worse. And they should not be allowed to get away with this.

and lastly, there are all sorts of places with no evdo or low evdo but its still conceivable to walk into a resturaunt, a residence with low EDVO signal, ur even ur own home and enjoy the benefits of a wifi connection

and stop playin "the gotcha game" with me. I have no quoral with u! I don't care for it, I don't care to prove u right or wrong, and don't have time for it either way! And that goes for ur other precious ladyfriend as well... go bully someone in the real world and stop the foolishness! This is not a popularity contest!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-30-09 at 08:23 PM.
    01-30-09 06:50 PM
    We shouldn't be required to have a global plan as not all of us are global junkies of business but still travel occasionally. If I have a US coast to coast plan and then travel over seas, wifi is very useful for saving on data roaming. If u see the BB storm review on CNET.com, they even emphasize on this fact with the omission of wifi!

Ur right, they are prob never going to eliminate data requirments on smart phones, they r prob just going to get worse. And they should not be allowed to get away with this.

and lastly, there are all sorts of places with no evdo or low evdo but its still conceivable to walk into a resturaunt, a residence with low EDVO signal, ur even ur own home and enjoy the benefits of a wifi connection

and stop playin "the gotcha game" with me. I have no quoral with u! I don't care for it, I don't care to prove u right or wrong, and don't have time for it either way! And that goes for ur other precious ladyfriend as well... go bully someone in the real world and stop the foolishness! This is not a popularity contest!
    You can activate and deactivate the global plan at will. If you're on the $29.99 data plan, the day you leave out of the country, you can have it switched to the $64.99 global plan, so you're not paying per kb of use, then when you get back to the great United States, you can switch back the the $29.99 data feature, I never said you needed to keep the $64.99 plan to benefit from it's global discounts.

For low CDMA signal, I've never had a problem. But, I've only seen coffee shops and bookstores with wi-fi, as well as at home, but if I'm at home, I will use my laptop. I never frequent coffee shops. At my place of business there is no wi-fi, for security reasons.... The only place I have been where I have had no signal was inside of a hospital, and there was no wi-fi service their either ( I had my laptop ).

As far as the gotcha game. I don't like people spreading misinformation. Stop doing it, and I will stop the gotcha game.
    01-30-09 06:57 PM
    dude, ur gotcha games don't hurt me in the least. I dont know u or care what u say on a forum. I post and speak to my opinion about verizon or whatever the topic is. If that offends u, then wollow in ur misery! I don't know what to tell u...
    01-30-09 07:13 PM
    If you're really this sophomoric, how do you dress & feed yourself iin the morning?

Not to mention that you keep regurgitating the same things/comments without verifiable reference to any of the debunking points listed previously by several posters.

Your dribble has been etched into the ether. Move along now.

ad as for u, if u have a problem with my comments and opinions on verizon gps and wifi enough that u have to start insulting me personally, then PM me and we'll discuss this foolishness in private. ppl don't need to read this non sense...
    01-30-09 07:43 PM
    ad as for u, if u have a problem with my comments and opinions on verizon gps and wifi enough that u have to start insulting me personally, then PM me and we'll discuss this foolishness in private. ppl don't need to read this non sense...
    If you'd stop your baseless & repetitive whines, there would be no issue.

Get over it. There is no such thing as 100% coverage, even with WiFi. I have WiFi on my laptop and rarely find an unsecured network anymore. What's more is many states have now made it illegal to tap into a network without prior permissions.

And many of the public WiFi areas cost more than any data plan.

Then there is the battery draw issue.

And you've still not answered the reality that worldwide, there are no CDMA BlackBerry Curves with WiFi, so how could it be a VZW issue?

And you've not explained why any carrier should open up anything that would cost them more than they are charging.

And... Never mind, you'll just continue with your habit of pulling fallacies out of thin air to try to make a nonexistent point.

01-30-09 08:32 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD