I recently had a collections agent call me from a cbcs. They told me I owed verizon 400 and would settle for 200. The problem I have is I have never had any kind of account through them. My question is have you ever been billed for a product or account that you did not authorize? What am I to do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 06:06 PM
    You can call the fraud department. Could be ID fraud.
    08-12-09 06:16 PM
    Or it could be a bill from a carrier that was absorbed by verizon. Or a carrier that was absorbed by a carrier that was absorbed by verizon. Or...

When they call with a settlement amount, they usually have purchased an old junk debt and it may not even be yours.
    08-12-09 06:53 PM
    I agree with both the other posters. Have the collections agency fax you the information regarding the debt and account related information. They have to do this if they are legally trying to collect a debt.

Also, if it is over 7 years, they should not even bother.
    08-12-09 06:58 PM
    When they call with a settlement amount, they usually have purchased an old junk debt and it may not even be yours.
    I'd pay attention to this one. I've been getting collections calls for some guy named "Nathan" ever since I got my current phone number in 2005, and they STILL haven't stopped. :P

I answer those calls with "I am not Nathan, I don't know anyone named Nathan, quit asking me." They'll leave me alone for a few months, and then the calls begin again.
    08-12-09 07:16 PM
    When we set up the demo phones in my store a few of them started receiving multiple collection agency calls, its probably a recycled number that someone cancelled the account and now your stuck with the headache.
    08-12-09 07:19 PM
    It almost sounds like a scam to me....
    They say you owe 500 dollars or so but they will settle for half the amount. I would make sure it is legit before I paid anything to anyone...
    08-12-09 07:21 PM
    I'm dealing with a similiar situation with t-mobile.. Though a bit more interesting....

They have been calling my parents house, in a different state, that I haven't lived in for 8yrs, asking by my maiden name, and let's throw in I've never ever ever had t-mobile. Called em 'we'll take care of it blah blah blah' and apparently they've called again now. 8months later.
    /Hate

08-12-09 07:32 PM
    I work in collections. I run a repossession company. You need to call them and ask to see proof of debt. they should mail it to you such as a final bill. If they can not prove its you, there loss. Any other questions, pm me

Nick

08-12-09 07:33 PM
    I'd pay attention to this one. I've been getting collections calls for some guy named "Nathan" ever since I got my current phone number in 2005, and they STILL haven't stopped. :P

I answer those calls with "I am not Nathan, I don't know anyone named Nathan, quit asking me." They'll leave me alone for a few months, and then the calls begin again.
    Oh my God LOL... When I first got my Verizon number I kept getting collection agencies asking for a female (cant remember her name, think it was a betty) and I kept telling them I'm John and I have no idea who that person is... They kept calling so I had the number blocked through Verizon and reported it on some government website.. Needless to say I've never gotten a call from them again LOL.
    08-12-09 07:43 PM
    I recently had a collections agent call me from a cbcs. They told me I owed verizon 400 and would settle for 200. The problem I have is I have never had any kind of account through them. My question is have you ever been billed for a product or account that you did not authorize? What am I to do?

Sounds like your a victim of identity theft. You should pull your credit report and see what else they purchased in your name.
    08-12-09 08:07 PM
    Thanks guys all of this advice I will take. I pulled a credit report, it wasn't on my credit. Tried to call verizon was told I should take it up with the dept collectors pretty much. The debt they say I owe was from the late late 90s. I am just worried that I will be going into this merger with bad juju, when I am positive this debt is not mine.

08-12-09 08:48 PM
    Need I say anything?
    08-12-09 09:25 PM
    Late 90's?? Serious I would just forget about it. Tell em your dead or something.

08-12-09 10:58 PM
    I recieved a call from a debt collector about a bill from Sprint saying I owe them $1000 and I had payed them the $150 that I owed them before I bought my house in october. The call came in march. I called sprint fraud department and they said it was activated in arizona with my name and social security number but wrong birthday by about 15 years. Also I have never lived or even visited arizona. I would definately get to the bottom of this and get it resolved. Even though I am not with sprint anymore they took it of the list and I have not recieved another call from anybody.
    08-12-09 11:07 PM
    Late 90's?? Serious I would just forget about it. Tell em your dead or something.

LOL answer the phone and say no thats not me I'm dead
    08-13-09 07:23 AM
    I was a victim of identity theft big big big time, I had my social security number frozen for 4 years, let's just say I was getting bills for new cars a couple houses and some other stuff. My debt was in the $1,000,000+ area! I found out who stole my identity, let's just say he is SOL now. Thanks to the feds! I had to live for 4 years of mass telemarketer calls, bills, and debt collectors. I would call your local social security office then the 3 credit beaures then the FBI.

08-14-09 12:58 AM
    Great. Thank you all for posting. I think I got the debt collector licked. Now should I be worried about verizon? This debt is 11 years old but when we merge and I am on a verizon plan should I be worried about this comming up with verizon and I? Will they try 2 collect or rebill me?

08-14-09 06:23 PM
    No, they won't try to collect. VZW sold the debt to the collection agency and no longer has the right to collect. Which is why no one at VZW would discuss it with you. You'll be fine.

08-14-09 06:29 PM
    No, they won't try to collect. VZW sold the debt to the collection agency and no longer has the right to collect. Which is why no one at VZW would discuss it with you. You'll be fine.
    Not to mention the fact it is 11 years old - four beyond the statute of limitations for credit issues.

Be mindful that some of the collection agencies will still try to ding your credit - it is illegal, but they might try.

08-14-09 06:34 PM
    One other thing to add, I'm not 100% cretin, but I have heard that after the 7years that if you talk to a collection company about a debt, that it extens the debt for another 7 years.

I am still getting collection notices on a repo over 9 years ago, but I think if I contact them, it goes back as an active debt, its not showing up on the credit report

08-14-09 07:11 PM
    You're close - but not by talking with them. What they try to do is get you to commit to a payment plan or at least promise to pay it back. Then they have you.

08-14-09 07:32 PM
    I knew it was a dead debt, but still want to get it cleaned up. I was just really worried about verizon. I have always paid my bills and for me 2 suffer under this would have made me upset. Thanks again

08-14-09 08:31 PM
    Sounds like everyone else have you the answers you need, but I just want to say what a pain in the rear end and I'm sorry you have to go through this. I had someone open accounts on me and had to go through getting it cleared out of my name and it was such a headache. Good luck!
    08-14-09 08:55 PM
    Yea and its just this one account, thank god. But with evryones help this sould be headache free. Well see. Thanks guys.

08-14-09 10:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD